Car Rental v Excursions

ToUtahNow

I have spent months trying to decide what excursions I wanted to do later this month in Alaska. I've already spent a ton of time in floatplanes in Alaska so that did not appeal to me. Two of my three sons are helicopter pilots so that did not excite me.

Just in exploring Juneau using Google Earth I decided I need to rent a car rather than doing an expedition in Juneau. Now I have moved on to exploring Skagway and Ketchikan and the verdict is in. The only Princess excursion I am doing is touring Vancouver on the way to the airport. Other than that we have rental cars waiting for us in Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan.

Our plan may not be for everyone, but I am really looking forward doing this on our own.

Mark

We just returned this week, and also rented cars in Juneau & Skagway. We took the bus in Ketchikan for $2 all day pass to Totem Bight and Potlach parks.

Renting cars was great for us, enabling us to go at our own pace and see exactly what we wanted, when we wanted, for less $$ than ship tours. Driving in these towns is not difficult, nor is driving up into the Yukon.

It was raining in Skagway, and sunny in the Yukon! So glad we were able to get out of port and experience the sights and sun!

We just returned this week, and also rented cars in Juneau & Skagway. We took the bus in Ketchikan for $2 all day pass to Totem Bight and Potlach parks.

Renting cars was great for us, enabling us to go at our own pace and see exactly what we wanted, when we wanted, for less $$ than ship tours. Driving in these towns is not difficult, nor is driving up into the Yukon.

It was raining in Skagway, and sunny in the Yukon! So glad we were able to get out of port and experience the sights and sun!

I'm glad to hear you liked your trip. At first I was not going to rent a car in Ketchikan but the more I looked at the map the more I wanted to see. We leave next week and the weather does not look great but we suspected that would be the case so late in the season. We will be prepared either way.

Mark

We rented a mini-van in Ketchikan for four of us (First City). Unless you are wanting to do boat or plane excursion, a rental car is the way to go. Go south first/early to Herring Cove and the cannery for the best shot at seeing a bear. We didn't see any though. There is a nice waterfall on your left south about 1/2 mile after the gravel road starts. We then turned back north to the totems and then to shop. We were there in late August...salmon were running in Herring Cove creek.

This website had some good info/maps. http://www.experienceketchikan.com/

We rented a car from Avis in Skagway and drove to Emerald Lake in the Yukon, stopping many places along the way to take pictures. We wouldn't trade the experience! We loved doing things at our own pace and we had plenty of time to walk around Carcross, take pictures, eat and shop. The scenery is really breathtaking at every turn. We bought Murray's Guide online and used that as our guide. It was really helpful.

hello there, renting a car sounds very interesting! is it better to book the rental car before hand? there will be 2 of us, and i am in the beginning stages of planning right now, currently stuck on excursions!

I would do it before. If you need to rent at the start of your cruise you can check for last minute savings before you leave home. If you need to rent at the end of your cruise who is kidding whom on wanting to deal with unknown surprises

We also just returned from our trip last week and rented cars in Skagway and Juneau and this worked out great for us. From Skagway, we drove to Whitehorse making several stops along the way. It's a beautiful drive through the Yukon. In Juneau, we drove all over the place, including Mendenhall Glacier, the Shrine of St. Therese and a few other places. We like to see some of the non tourist places in towns and also having the control of leaving or staying longer at a place is a nice option.

What is the going rate to rent a car in Skagway? Is there more than one company who works out of that port? I know about Avis, but when I looked at rates, I found them to be very high (for next summer). Thanks!

i would like to know the answer to this as well -- i found $90 something for next august. is this the norm? i do not know if this is considered high or mid range? thanks!

We just returned from our cruise on Saturday and wanted to share our car rental experiences.

Juneau - Juneau Car Rental - $57.50 total bill - We had a Chevy Malibu in horrible condition. We were very happy that we completed the day without the need for a tow truck.

Skagway - Sourdough Rentals - $89.00 total bill - We had a PT Cruiser in very nice shape for our 200+ mile trip into the Yukon and back.

Ketchikan - First City Car Rental - $69.54 total bill - We were in a really nice Subaru Outback that looked brand new. We drove from just past the George Inlet Lodge all the way to Settler's Cove..

All in all we saw a ton of stuff and have no regrets on exploring on our own instead of doing excursions. Our port days were very busy with sightseeing.

Mark

We just returned from our cruise on Saturday and wanted to share our car rental experiences.

Juneau - Juneau Car Rental - $57.50 total bill - We had a Chevy Malibu in horrible condition. We were very happy that we completed the day without the need for a tow truck.

Skagway - Sourdough Rentals - $89.00 total bill - We had a PT Cruiser in very nice shape for our 200+ mile trip into the Yukon and back.

Ketchikan - First City Car Rental - $69.54 total bill - We were in a really nice Subaru Outback that looked brand new. We drove from just past the George Inlet Lodge all the way to Settler's Cove..

All in all we saw a ton of stuff and have no regrets on exploring on our own instead of doing excursions. Our port days were very busy with sightseeing.

Mark

oh my goodness, thanks for posting this!!!!! wow!!! those prices are much better than i have found so far, i was finding prices like $90 ++ per day. so sorry your first day with the malibu was in horrid condition!! thanks again for posting this, you've been such a HELP!!:):)

Archived