JS or D1 on Voyager Class?

We are ready to book on the Voyager for March '06 and are debating room 1690, which we have had before on the Mariner, or possibly trying a Junior Suite for the first time. We LOVE the stern room, but with 2 adults and 2 kids, would like to see if the roomier JS would be better for us? The problem is that there are no stern or hump JS rooms available.

Should we sacrifice the great balcony view for a JS room on the side? Anyone have any input?

Dandude: I'm afraid that if I put my kids up in a Grand Suite, they will never let us get a regular balcony room again. But I would love to see pics if you have them. We will probably book on someday, but we won't be able to take 1 or 2 cruises every year if we start that now. ;)

Maritimemare: Thanks for your input. I think we might feel the same about the JS, too. And for only $400 more, I think it will be worth it. I was leaning toward the D1 stern, but now I'm seriously considering the JS.

Does a JS count as two credit points for the C & A membership? That might be worth it right there!

Boatgirl,

Yes, the JS will give you two credits vs. one in the D. But best of all, that JS cabin will be so much more spacious and the walkin closet will afford you an extra space to store and dress. Just the shelf space in the closet will make a huge difference...floor to ceiling shelves on one side...lovely! Think of a JS as about the size of a nice hotel room...more room between the bed and dresser/vanity and that sitting area is so nice especially with 4 in a room. Good luck with your decision and keep monitoring...an aft JS might just show up!

DebandBill: Thanks for the info. The huge closet does sound enticing. We never have enough storage space.

A JS just opened up on deck 7, stern, so even though it is lower on the ship, I think we're gonna take it since everyone seems so positive about the JS's. And the double credit will be a nice bonus!

Thanks for all your input, you guys. Cruise critic rocks!:D

Elaine,

Not sure what perks you were promised but the JS does not typically come with onboard perks like the GS and above. As far as embarkation, some ports do give priority to JS cabins.

Also Splendor will not have the walkin closet like the Voyager and Radiance class ships.

Deb

Taylor,

C and A benefits are based on completed cruises...so after this cruise, you may both apply for your Crown and Anchor membership number and you will be considered a Gold member with one completed cruise. After 5 completed you will be Platinum, after 10 - Diamond, and after 25- Diamond Plus. Booking a JS or above will give members two credits per cruise so you reach next levels faster.

As a Gold member, you will be recognized on your second cruise with a nice coupon book and Gold member written on your seapass card plus you will be invited to the C and A party onboard and you will receive a little gift in your cabin midway thru your cruise. RCI does a really nice job of giving repeat customers a few perks. The RCI website has a link to C and A Society benefits and FAQ's.

Definitely go for the JS. It has so much more room and as someone said the closet is great. The balcony is still a nice size. Hey, DANDUDE, I would love to see your pics of the GS. I am booked on a GS on the Explorer. I just saw that the GS balconies are divided into two veiwing areas with the ships steel in the middle. I didn't know that. It looks like it would bother you. I've always had a JS and it seems it would have more unobstructed veiwing from the balcony than the GS. I kinda wished I had stayed with the JS.

Don't have any balcony pictures, but the balconies are different on the Explorer anyways. Regardless, our balcony wasn't divided at all.

Anyways...better late than never I guess...here are the cabin pictures:

cruise001.jpg

cruise002.jpg

cruise003.jpg

cruise004.jpg

cruise005.jpg

And the usual disclaimer:

All picture are my property and cannot be distributed without my permission. *Sorry, I'm a copyright freak* :-D

Dandude: The pictures are awesome! Thanks so much for sending them. I made the mistake of showing them to my kids, and now they want the GS! :D I think we'll do the JS this time, but we will have to work toward the GS. Maybe the next cruise!

A question about the concierge club. I know it doesn't apply to the JS, but just for future reference... Is it open all the time? Can you only get cocktails after 5:00? Can you stay and have as many drinks as you'd like, or is it a one per customer kind of thing? Do they offer sodas there during the day?

Thanks for any input.

I just booked a JS yesterday on Splendour, I was told it did come with all the suite perks. Will be a bit disappointed if it doesn't

(This is beachchick)

I don't know who told you that you get "all the perks." Bottom line: JS doesn't get the perks (with the exception of priority boarding and the extra C&A point). It's very clear in the RCI literature and there is no way to "beg" your way into the GS and above perks...they'd have people doing it all the time. Also, when the Concierge service was started, the first set of brochures listed the JS (then called Category C) as getting the perks. This was a misprint. RCI honored it until a certain date (can't remember exactly when) and then made it extremely clear that JS isn't considered a true suite.

I'm sorry to be a downer for you on this. If someone at RCI told you that you would get the perks, they are just flat wrong and should know better. In any case, it won't make a difference if it was an RCI employee, you won't get the full suite perks. If it was your TA, well, he or she should know better too. I'd call and read him or her the riot act about this. They are obligated to give you correct information and have no excuse for not knowing this--it's been a big issue for years.

Anyway, you will get the priority boarding and an extra C&A point. If this is your first RCI cruise, sign up onboard. You won't be a member until your cruise is completed, but then you will be credited with the points from that first cruise. It's 1 point for any cruise; 1 extra point for a JS and above; and 1 extra point for 12 night or longer single cruise. A total of 3 points can be earned on any given cruise.

Have a great time anyway--the JS is a fine cabin. I can't imagine that you will be disappointed.

beachchick

ps to Dandude: I know you are gung ho about the GS...heck, who wouldn't be. Just keep in mind that it's usually a substantial price bump and not necessarily worth the extra money for the added amenities. I noticed that there were a few threads today where you were urging posters who asked about a JS to forget it and go to a GS or better. I don't want new posters to think that there's something wrong with a JS--many people would love to book one but can only afford, say, an inside cabin. (Not us, if I can't afford a balcony, I'll save up until we can afford it. We cruise less often, but that's our choice.) And those are excellent pix BTW.

Archived