What to do in Progreso?

robhatch

There is a duty free shop and shops behind that as you get off the ship at the Pier. You can also take the bus into town (it's free and it's like a four mile drive..you can see the ship the whole time) where they drop you off, it's scary and avoid the vendors under the tents there! Ride the double decker bus for 2 bucks each and it takes you around and you learn a little about the town. There is a place called buddy's there that a man from Fort Worth owns, or did a year ago. They have decent food and give away free tequila. We walked all over and never felt like anyone would harm us. Beware of the little guy that makes balloon animals. Of you take one from him he will follow you around till you tip him lol

There is a duty free shop and shops behind that as you get off the ship at the Pier. You can also take the bus into town (it's free and it's like a four mile drive..you can see the ship the whole time) where they drop you off, it's scary and avoid the vendors under the tents there! Ride the double decker bus for 2 bucks each and it takes you around and you learn a little about the town. There is a place called buddy's there that a man from Fort Worth owns, or did a year ago. They have decent food and give away free tequila. We walked all over and never felt like anyone would harm us. Beware of the little guy that makes balloon animals. Of you take one from him he will follow you around till you tip him lol

Why would someone take a balloon animal and not tip the guy who made it. If someone did that to me I'd follow them around too.

We went to Buddy's last year because I had read a lot of good things about it. I must say, I was pretty disappointed. The food was ok, but not near as good as I had hoped. The drinks were 2/$5 which was good, but keep track of your drinks because another group that was there had a problem with their bill.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't go to Buddy's, it's not what it used to be, and after seeing the kitchen, which is in open view, I wouldn't eat anything there. Restroom filthy, no seat on toilet. They don't have any decent liquor, that's why the drinks are cheap. Yes, keep track of your tab or pay as you go. The double decker bus is now $5 per person, but still a good way to see the town. Definitely not a fancy place, but you can have a relaxing day there. Get a cheap massage! And the places under the tents where the shuttle bus lets you off are fine. It's a safe place to visit.

Archived