Hoping Star Clipper Customer Service Comes Through

SakeDad

So we booked the Star Flyer for the Dec 1, 2013 Comet Viewing sailing out of Costa Rica and we were really looking forward to it. We put an $800 deposit down and were all set. We used our USAir miles to book 1st class from Vegas to Costa Rica for $87 a person total!! Cruise was only going to be about $1500 a person so we decided not to do insurance as we had no plans not to make this trip.

Then we got a "change of itinerary" notice from USAir....normally no biggy as they just changed hours or flight numbers. NOPE! This time they canceled ALL flights to Costa Rica except Saturday! :eek: We would still be on the ship when they wanted to fly us back. Otherwise we now have to book and EXTRA WEEK in San Jose at a hotel until another USAir flight is available. So USAir realized we could never make that work and refunded our miles and money with no penalties.

However, when I called my travel agent (not really MY agent so much as the guy booking the comet viewing group cruise) he said I was past the cancellation date and would lose my $800 deposit. He had no sympathy that the AIRLINE made this trip impossible not me. So I contacted Star Clipper directly and have appealed to them. I am MORE THAN HAPPY to apply the deposit to a future cruise credit but I hate to lose the entire deposit because of an airlines changes....especially when the airline refunded 100%!!! So we wait to see what Star Clipper Customer Service will do....it will determine if we ever sail on them in the future.....or not.:rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Star Clippers Customer Service came through for us!!! They agreed to use a part of our deposit as a Future Cruise Credit! :D We are very happy with the outcome and look forward to rebooking a cruise with them soon.

Thank you for the update. We are sailing on Star Flyer Panama to Costa Rica over TGiving. I'm really glad to know you got satisfaction (if you can call it that when you have to cancel your cruise!) from both USAir and Star Clippers re refunds. Star Clippers has always seemed like a class act to me, but I'd never had to deal with what you dealt with, so I was anxious to see how it all played out.

Fingers crossed we don't have similar probs re flights for our coming trip. We're flying American, but USAir and American are almost the same thing now.

Archived