Sept or Oct for the Rhine

sharden

My wife and I along with another couple(early seventies) are planning to take our first river cruise in 2014. We plan to sail with Avalon from Amsterdam to Basel in the fall. Do any of you seasoned river cruisers have comments on which month is preferable? We realize that the later we go the weather may be cooler but that is OK. What about tree coloration along the rivers and ease of walking in the towns, etc.?

We have done many ocean cruises but really want to try the rivers of Europe.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

We took that cruise mid-September a year ago and the weather was perfect. Needed a jacket in Amsterdam, and a sweater in a few places. We went to Lake Lucerne before the cruise and even up on top of the mountains I was good with a sweater. It was not too hot or too cool. Just booked another cruise for the same time of year for 2014. Of course, you can't depend on what the weather will be like, but I loved September.

You cannot predict the weather. We arrived in Amsterdam to bright and sunny and 80 degrees.

Started raining the next day and has rained with cold and overcast conditions ever since. Highs are 55 degrees.

We are now on Uniworld's Rhine and Moselle with rain predicted for the next 4 days. YUK !!

Pack layers of clothing.

cb

• 3 weeks later...

You picked a wonderful itinerary. We did this cruise, with Uniworld, in early September a couple of years ago and the weather was perfect. Not to hot or too cool. Some days shirtsleeves, some days a light jacket. I refused to wear anything but shorts. Not much tree coloration in September. You would have to go in October for that. You should have no trouble walking on the town excursions as most places were pretty flat. Lots of cobblestone streets so just bring a good pair of gym shoes.

We have taken two river cruises both in June. We are cruising 2014 Castles on the Rhine with Uniworld. It was booked the first few weeks in June so we are cruising June 29. We have taken a med cruise mid Sept the weather was perfect. Not sure if the end of June will be too warm.

We did Amsterdam to Basel 3 years ago with Uniworld (fantastic trip, by the way). Hardly had many sunny days at all, and went the first couple of weeks of Sept. The best day was the day we cruised past all the castles and we were on the top deck all day. No terrible rain storms, but it was overcast and cool, jacket weather nearly every day. But, as other posters have said,

the weather is unpredicable. We were in Europe last Sept. too and had sun and 70s and 80s every day. Enjoy your trip!

Archived