RCI Voyager v. NCL Majesty for August 2005 Bermuda Cruise...Help us decide!!

HelloChum

Just joined these boards today and originally posted this elsewhere...I now think this is a more appropriate place to post...

In any case....

We are planning a somewhat last minute cruise for our anniversary...we are considering either an 8/21/05 7-day Boston to Bermuda on Norwegian Majesty or the 8/21/05 5-day Cape Liberty to Bermuda on RCI Voyager of the Seas. Same exact cost for both.

The Boston departure is more convenient for us and the NCL offers a longer stay in Bermuda. However, some of the things we've heard and read about RCI make it very enticing--possibly outweighing the convenience of Boston.

Any comments or experiences. Pros/cons of each ship to help us in our decision?? Anyone actually been on both cruises??!! Which would be a better vacation overall--all things considered? Am I wrong in assuming there is more to do on RCI?

MTIA!

cheers!

HelloChum

To me, the answer lies in your preferences and what you're looking for. If the ship and its amenities are your priority, there is no comparison between the Voyager and the Majesty. The Voyager is newer, much larger, and has far more attractions than the Majesty.

However, if you prefer the intimacy that a smaller ship can provide, the Majesty may be your cup of tea. There will be fewer passengers and chances are you will get to know the staff a little better.

In addition, do you have a preference with regard to traditional cruising vs. NCL's Freestyle cruising? NCL does not offer fixed seating times at dinner with assigned tables and tablemates. Would you miss having that extra personal touch that having the same wait staff for the entire cruise can provide? Do you prefer having the same tablemates for the entire week? Or would you prefer to dine when you like, where you like, and with whom you like?

Also, NCL's optional formal night(s) are just that - optional. Some people will opt to dress up but many won't. If that spoils the ambiance of formal night for you, you're better off with RCI. However, if resort casual attire being deemed appropriate every night appeals to you, you're better off with NCL.

If it were me in your situation (similar price, more convenient w/ NCL, longer cruise w/ NCL), I'd go with NCL. But that's because the smaller, older ship wouldn't bother me. And I happen to love NCL's Freestyle policies.

We are taking RCI Jewel of the Seas from Boston to Bermuda and the Caribbean in late October. I'm surprised nobody mentioned this cruise to you. I probably would have gone with the Majesty because it is 7 days instead of 5 and you get to spend more time in port.

NCL is replacing Majesty with a new ship in 2007 for the Boston to Bermuda cruises. Try NCL freestyle and see how you like it. We love it. We drove to NY to sail NCL Dawn in December and enjoyed it so much that we have booked NCL Spirit out of NY for Thanksgiving 2006.

We cruise all the different cruiselines to compare and see what we like and don't like. I never knew what I was missing until I cruised freestyle. I think that is why RCI is adding more alternative restaurants on their newer ships to give people other dining options. I know Princess is giving more dining options too. Carnival can't be far behind. I really hate a ship with only one dining room and one buffet because when I've had bad food or bad service, there aren't any other options other than a buffet.

At the top of the screen, on the left side, click on the button that's labeled "New Thread". It's between "User CP" and "Threads in Forum".

P.S. You can't be within a thread to start a new thread. When you're within a thread, the "New Thread" location is taken up by a button that's labeled "Post Reply".

how do i get it onto cruise clues.com/shiptips although i see where it is at

At the top of the screen, on the left side, click on the button that's labeled "New Thread". It's between "User CP" and "Threads in Forum".

P.S. You can't be within a thread to start a new thread. When you're within a thread, the "New Thread" location is taken up by a button that's labeled "Post Reply".

how do i get it onto cruise clues.com/shiptips although i see where it is at

I'm sorry but I don't really understand what you're trying to do. Cruiseclues.com is a separate web site. It sounds like you're trying to combine features from two different web sites, which you can't do.

Archived