Big Island & Kauai

SCR

I must admit, I am not cruising to these islands but I received such great advice on these boards when I did cruise to Mexico that I thought I would throw out my questions.

I am spending 4 days on the Big Island (Hawaii) and 4 days on Kauai in September. What recommendations do you have on what to see and who to "hook up" with? I haven't found any really good websites on these islands.

As I said, I had the best time in Cozumel and Playa del Carmen because I got hooked up with a local tour guide and experienced things I would not have experienced if I went with a big outfit or through the cruise.

Thanks in advance!

Go to Amazon.com and look for the Ultimate Kauai Handbook (Kauai Revealed) and the Ultimate Hawaii the Big Island Revealed books. Get an idea of what's available and then decide what you want to do and then come back here if you need help. :cool:

I agree that the Ultimate Guide Books are an excellent resource. For information on Kauai, you can also look at my site. (http://kauaikris.com) I'm not a travel agent or anything, I just love Kauai and have a website with information on it. Lots of people have told me they found it helpful. Having a local resource, like posters Hawaiian Eye & Speen, can really be invaluable, too.

Been to both Islands a few times, also think these are the best islands. On the Big Island Hawaii Volcanoes Nat Park is a must, walking on ground that is younger than you is amazing, driving over to the lava flow, walking up to it and seeing it ooze out, is incredible. Some people stay up all night, watching the light show. Hilo is usually fairly wet, Macadamia nut factory tour is fun. We did some hikes on the north shore to black sand beaches is neat. Try out the beaches on the west side, they are fantastic and seeing a sunset there is fun.

On Kauai, the Kalalau lookout and Waimea State park are great, if you are adventurous driving to Princeville then taking the Kalalau trail part way or the 11 km is one of the best hikes in the world. It is steep and can be muddy.

THe books suggested are the best, I have them and anyone going to H should get them.

Al

You guys rock! I have reserved the books from the library. I did see that 11 mile hike on a website and talked to DH about it. I love to walk (marathon walker) but my husband is not so sure he wants to do the hike. I have to convince him. :)

Kris, I am going to hit your website today.

Thanks again.

KauaiKris, that's a might nice website you have. ;)

Thanks! :) I hope people find it helpful. I've been lucky enough to visit Kauai several times and it's kind of become a passion for me. There's so much beauty there, I hate for anyone to go and miss any of it!

• 2 weeks later...

:) Everything was so attractively arranged and easy to read -- and those gorgeous photographs! Especially that exquisite shot of the "Breathtaking Sunset looking over Hanalei Bay from Princeville Hotel - May 2003". Wow! It was superb.

Archived