Port Charges -Vietnam

Bottomshelfhockey

Hi,

I'm looking for concrete information on the actual port charges for various ports. I have looked at some of the various threads and have been unable to find the info I'm looking for. I understand that various tour companies must pay a fee to access dock inside the terminal otherwise the guide will be outside terminal to pickup passengers. One thread mentions $20 per person for a port and I was just quoted $15 per person for Saigon.

We were wondering if it's possible not to pay port charges by walking to the outside terminal gate to meet tour guide.

We will be on the Azamara Journey in December travelling from Hong Kong to Singapore.

I need port charge information for Halong Bay (could be tender or dock), Danang - Tien Sa terminal and Saigon - downtown terminal.

The information I need for each port:

• port charge cost - per person charge or flat fee
  • distance from dock to terminal gate (if allowed to walk to gate)
  • available transportation options outside terminals i

Thanks for your help.:)

You can get much better information by posting this on the Asia Ports Of Call Board.

I have been to each of the ports you mentioned. I would have them meet you inside the port. Some of the ports are very difficult to walk on your own, have very little if any room to wait outside and you are far better all around to have the driver/tour guide meet you in the port. We will also be there this spring as well and will have them meet us inside the port and that is for both pick up and drop off. Most guides do not do a breakdown of the cost. Rather they just give you a total cost for the tour as ours have done so I am not sure why yours has chosen to break it down. Nevertheless, make it easier for yourself and have them meet you inside the port.

Keith

You can get much better information by posting this on the Asia Ports Of Call Board.

I have been to each of the ports you mentioned. I would have them meet you inside the port. Some of the ports are very difficult to walk on your own, have very little if any room to wait outside and you are far better all around to have the driver/tour guide meet you in the port. We will also be there this spring as well and will have them meet us inside the port and that is for both pick up and drop off. Most guides do not do a breakdown of the cost. Rather they just give you a total cost for the tour as ours have done so I am not sure why yours has chosen to break it down. Nevertheless, make it easier for yourself and have them meet you inside the port.

Keith

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the prompt response.

Based on research on cruise critic forums, I basically asked the tour guide for Saigon whether there was a port charge. He offered to take off $15 pp if we were to walk to gate.

Can you please provide additional details as to your estimate as to how far it is to walk from dock to terminal gate for each port?

You mention that some of the ports are very difficult to walk. Please explain.

Regards,

Harry E.

Harry, for the port that serves DaNang the walk is about 10 minutes. When we were there last time around they were doing construction. The one for Halong Bay should be a tender drop off port. Not sure the distance. In Saigon we have used the more remote terminals so I would get more information on the Asia Ports Of Call Board for the one you will be at. I have found that it is just much easier and far less confusing to be picked up at the ports. If they are running late or you are running late or whatever it is just easier that they are right there for you. This is one where I would not try to save a few dollars.

The difficulty in some ports is just the traffic or the fact that there is no sidewalk area so you are walking in the street so to speak with many vehicles.

Keith

Harry, for the port that serves DaNang the walk is about 10 minutes. When we were there last time around they were doing construction. The one for Halong Bay should be a tender drop off port. Not sure the distance. In Saigon we have used the more remote terminals so I would get more information on the Asia Ports Of Call Board for the one you will be at. I have found that it is just much easier and far less confusing to be picked up at the ports. If they are running late or you are running late or whatever it is just easier that they are right there for you. This is one where I would not try to save a few dollars.

The difficulty in some ports is just the traffic or the fact that there is no sidewalk area so you are walking in the street so to speak with many vehicles.

Keith

Thanks Keith.

The Da Nang port you are talking about is Tien Sa and not the other one Chan May?

For Saigon, because we are on a smaller ship, Azamara Journey, I have been told that we will be docking "downtown" Saigon.

Regards,

Harry E.

?

For Saigon, because we are on a smaller ship, Azamara Journey, I have been told that we will be docking "downtown" Saigon.

Regards,

Harry E.

Downtown Saigon (Nha Rong or Lotus Port). It's just a few paces to the port gate. Major road/tunnel construction while I was there made a pick-up by the port gate difficult/dangerous with no pull-in off the carriageway, but drop off not so bad. Sorry I don't know how easy it is now, though there's bound to be places in side-roads.

Halong Bay. If tendered there's no port charges for pick-ups, it's a public road alongside the jetty.

Da Nang. Azamara being a tiddler might port in town rather than the industrial port to the north. Only a couple of hundred yards to the port gate, sorry don't know about pick-up charges.

The charges are genuine & not a con by the tour operators, though the amount might be.

Worth asking operators about pick-ups at the port gates.

JB :)

Archived