Review: Hampton Inn Convention Center

cali-croozer

Hampton Inn and Suites Convention Center: My family and I stayed at this hotel for one night, pre-cruise on July 18. The rate for our standard room was $71, including tax. After I made reservations, I wrote to the hotel for information and, less than a week later, received a manilla envelope stuffed with maps, magazines and brochures from the concierge. When we arrived at the hotel, the bell hops were outside to greet us and take our luggage. We checked in and went to our room, a "double double" for 4 people. The ceilings were high and the beds were too; they each had a step stool to help you in! LOL :) The beds were comfortable and the window overlooked a small park and the Convention Center. Soon after we settled in, the front desk called to make sure everything was ok. My teens went to the business room to get on the internet (free) while my husband and I relaxed a bit. We didn't have time for the pool. Then, it was time to explore New Orleans. We walked about 3 blocks to the streetcar stop by the Riverwalk Mall. We rode the streetcar to Jackson Square, ate at Cafe Masperos and then walked around the French Quarter. We ended up at Cafe Du Monde for the beignets, and then walked all the way back to the hotel....we had intended to take the streetcar back but were so full we needed that walk. ;) It took about 30 minutes. The next morning, we could see the Conquest's funnel from our window! The expanded continental breakfast was very good....cereals, breads and pastries, sausages, strange looking but very tasty eggs and milk/coffee/juices. We checked out and walked to the port. It's about 2/3 of a mile because you have to walk around the Convention Center. We each had one carry-on and a rolling suitcase and it took us about 15-20 minutes, walking slow.

In summary, very nice hotel for the price, great service, very good breakfast, walking distance to the port for some, convenient for touring with the riverfront streetcar.

possum..........I booked directly on their website. I had originally booked a room for $98, plus taxes, AAA rate. A couple of months later, my friends were ready to book their room so I checked the rates again.........the lower rate came up and I was able to modify my reservation with the new rate.

We actually rented a car from Hertz, drove to the hotel and then dropped the car off at their location a couple of blocks from the hotel. We are a family of 4, and the car rental was 1/2 the price of a taxi ride. Our friends took a taxi and arrived at the hotel 10 minutes before us, so we didn't lose much time doing it that way. Post-cruise, we did have to take a taxi because the car rental prices were just as expensive that day. The taxi is convenient though; it's $28 for 1-2 people, or $12 a person for 3 or more people.

Tip.......if considering renting a car, price-check and reserve on-line so you can compare it to the taxi and save time at the airport.

I usually rent for at least two days, but if you have to pay for parking, that would negate the coupon:

http://www.americawest.com/awa/content/frequentflyer/mileagepromotions/carpromotions.aspx

Save up to $20 and 500 Additional Miles...No Blackout Periods!

Now through October 31, 2005, you can save $5 per day and earn an additional 500 Miles on qualifying Leisure Weekend Rate rentals of two or more days or save $20 and earn an additional 500 Miles on qualifying Leisure Weekly Rate rentals. This offer is valid on rentals of any car class, including Minivans and Sport Utility Vehicles, at a participating location in the U.S., Puerto Rico or Canada. Provide your FlightFund membership number, FlightFund Discount Number CDP 1450445 and PC #959372 for Leisure Weekend rentals or PC #959383 for Leisure Weekly rentals. For reservations, call 800-654-2210 or visit hertz.com .

• Bonus Miles: Save up to $20 & 500 Bonus miles
  • Dates: Now through 10/31/05

• 3 weeks later...
How did you get a rate of $79.00 at the Hamption Inn. Looks like for April they are in the 150.00 range. That is were we would like to stay for 3 days before April 16th Cruise

Sorry it took so long to get back to you; I'm not on these boards as regularly as in the past. Anyway, I booked on the hotel's website, www.hamptoninn.com. When I first booked the AAA rate was $99. A couple of months later, when my friends were ready to book, the rates had gone down to $71 (including tax!). I was able to modify my reservations on-line and get the new rate. Rates go up and down depending on the season. If you do decide to book at that rate, make sure there are no cancellation penalties. Then, if the price goes down, or if you find another alternative you can always cancel. Good luck.

Archived