2012 London Olympics....

guernseyguy

Wonder how Cunard are going to milk this.....new lease of life for the QE2, ferrying pax across the pond?....new impetus to get QV right?....I realise 7 years is a very long time in the cruise business....but a little fun speculation never did any harm (and is so much more attractive than gloating.....)

Peter

PS

Any Cruise Critics who share a certain medium sized European country's President's prejudices about British cuisine, might like to note that of the 50 Best Restaurants of the World, 2005, the top one was British, and in total 14 British restaurants were on the list....unlike that other country that had 10, for example, and whose highest ranked was number 6: http://www.worldpress.org/Americas/2090.cfm

....boy are they going to have fun at Gleneagles...but then again, 'it is not enough to succeed, others must fail' (Gore Vidal, of Tom Driberg)

Wonder how Cunard are going to milk this.....new lease of life for the QE2, ferrying pax across the pond?....new impetus to get QV right?....I realise 7 years is a very long time in the cruise business....but a little fun speculation never did any harm (and is so much more attractive than gloating.....)

Peter

Peter,

Might just be good enough reason to keep the ship around for a few extra years... even as an accommodation ship. I wonder how far up the Thames she could get? I think the biggest ship to get up as far as the Royal Docks was MAURETANIA in 1939. He load draught was just under 31 feet, but I doubt she was fully laden when she went up there.

Stephen

I know its slightly off the topic, but l stayed at Gleneagles last year, in one of the larger rooms, and having been used with the QE2 standard of service, Boy was l disappointed !!!!! Gleneagles wasnt even in the same league, 2 examples the afternoon Tea at Gleneagles was £17 for which the cake stand was dumped at your table, with the sandwiches (going hard on the edges) and day old pancakes as well, not to mention the tea pot which was also dumped on the table and you were left to pour your own, l really imagined they would have poured out at least the 1st cup!!!!

And in the room with the wardrobe falling appart they had a hospitality tray with a tiny kettle, for the rate l was paying £320 for a night l really expected far more from this 5star hotel. To pick up the phone and have a tea tray delivered would have been so delightful (and lm not a snob by any means!!)

The only good thing was it made me appreciate the QE2 much more when l cruised on her later in the year....How l yearn to revist the queens room and par take of the delicious afternoon tea

Peter

Hey Peter this really is a flight of fantasy. I think you are allowing your mind to hark back to the 1950's and the glory days of QEII's coronation when every ship that could do a transatlantic was booked for months (not that I'm suggesting you were around then!!!). I guess it will help fill QM2 during the 2012 summer season though. Also, didn't realise until recently that the 2006 Cunard Brochure actually mentions QV joining the fleet at the end of 2007.

Stephen .... I don't think anything of any size can get further than Greenwich these days (QE2 couldn't get near enough to a Naval Review in open water to satisfy some pax recently). Somehow I don't think accommodation ships will be required for these Games, given the huge number of hotel beds available within London and an hour's travel beyond (that includes Brighton - if we are still running one then).

Anyway .... what Games these will be ... and of course they will coincide with QE (the second not the two)'s Diamond Jubilee - if she's still with us of course (and the alternative is really too awful to contemplate - what a pair!!!)

Ken

keeping the UK in my thoughts and prayers today - it's such a tragic day on the heels of such a happy Olympic yesterday. one must constantly stay alert to everything, no matter where in the world you may happen to be...this is so sad.

Archived