car seat questions

dadsvip

Hello. I am taking my 23 month old son on a family cruise in November (I too think i'm nuts!) and am now freaking out about car seat. ANy suggestions on using non NCL outfits for excursions that would be safe or let me use my own (GIANT) car seat?

ALso, how about any suggestions on inexpensive (BUT SAFE) excursions for family with 23 month old in Cartagena, Aruba, Curacao, St. Thomas and St. Maarten?

thanks!

You're not nuts, our first international trip was when ds2 was 27 months ;)

We have been to St Thomas and Sint Maartin with our boys. We took a taxi to Coral World in St Thomas, it didn't take long to find a taxi with a seatbelt where I could install car seats. Iirc I left the seats at Coral World, but it has been a few years so if I were you I'd call to make sure they still do this. DO NOT TAKE THE "OPEN AIR SAFARI BUS". It is a Ford truck with benches on the back, not safe for anyone never mind children.

We walked around the downtown of Sint Maartin, but again I found taxis with seatbelts without much of a problem.

Remember if you are still rear facing your son you only need a seatbelt, but if forward facing ideally you would also have a top tether. Some seats have acceptable head excursion with a shoulder belt installation in a pinch, but these are Canadian standards (I'm a Canadian car seat tech).

My experience has been verry positive when contacting a private excursion company, as they have all been more than willing to accommodate a request for a vehicle that can accept a child restraint.

Hello. I am taking my 23 month old son on a family cruise in November (I too think i'm nuts!) and am now freaking out about car seat. ANy suggestions on using non NCL outfits for excursions that would be safe or let me use my own (GIANT) car seat?

ALso, how about any suggestions on inexpensive (BUT SAFE) excursions for family with 23 month old in Cartagena, Aruba, Curacao, St. Thomas and St. Maarten?

thanks!

I don't think your nuts for taking your 23 month old, I think you are a fun parent! :D

I have heard a lot of discussion about bringing car seats, but I can tell you honestly that I have never ever seen any parent carry a car seat off the ship to put in a taxi. There must be some that do, but I haven't seen it. I know it goes against every parenting instinct we have. I doubt any taxi will stop you from putting your car seat in the taxi. They are very nice and helpful . bring any straps or whatever the car seat requires.

I am sure someone on here will be able to help you more!.

We got this to protect the seat while we are at the beach. I will not travel without a carseat. Even when we don't plan to use it for an excursion, I still will bring the seat on the ship in case of an emergency. There ARE taxis with belts if you are willing to wait a bit.

http://www.amazon.com/Childress-Ultimate-Seat-Travel-Black/dp/B0009RNXNA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1379471780&sr=8-2&keywords=carseat+bag

It is good quality and nice and thick. The backpack straps make it easier to carry the seat too.

Archived