Mullet beach; beer and bathrooms?

heather6699

Yes.

Both Rosie's and Dalio's sell food and drinks, including alcohol.

Rosie's is known for the ribs, and Dalio's is known for their hotdogs.

We self-provision when at Mullet Bay Beach, so I can't address the prices, but I'm quite sure that they are reasonable.

As of last May, the only restroom that I am aware of is a port-a-potty (pay) behind Rosie's.

gary

I understand mullet beach has two food vendors, which is great. Does anyone sell drinks (cheap beer would be great)? And are there restrooms?

Beer and a port-o-potty are not a great combo.:eek:

It's a beautiful beach though and it's a shame they haven't built a washroom facility. There are many family get togethers on the weekends at this beach and no real restroom which is really surprising.

We were there last Friday. Chairs and umbrellas were $5 apiece. Drinks at Rosie's was $5 and beer was in the $3-$4 range. Food was fantastic and anywhere from a few dollars to $12 for a sampler plate that was enough for 2. Fries were amazing!

Absolutely beautiful beach! And if you get Taxi 143 and he tries to tell you that if you go to Mullet, you'll miss the ship, it's been closed for 20 years because of the hurricane, and other assorted nonsense, don't believe him!

<snip>

if you get Taxi 143 and he tries to tell you that if you go to Mullet, you'll miss the ship, it's been closed for 20 years because of the hurricane, and other assorted nonsense, don't believe him!

If you are completely certain about it being Taxi 143, I'd like to pass that information on to my contact at the Taxi Association, who just happens to be the current President :)

gary

If you are completely certain about it being Taxi 143, I'd like to pass that information on to my contact at the Taxi Association, who just happens to be the current President :)

gary

Completely certain is was Taxi 143. I checked specifically when we got out. ;) Big black Lincoln Navigator with shiny wheels.

The whole situation was so odd! We told the dispatcher/loader that we were going to Mullet (4 of us) so he lined us up in the appropriate place. We had to wait a few minutes, but eventually they put us in Taxi 143. They added 3 people to our taxi, who were going to Maho. The driver dropped them at the bar at Maho that's at the other end of the beach from the Sunset Bar. When we didn't get out, he proceded to tell us that:

1. We would miss the ship if we went there.

2. It was on the other side of the island (while vaguely waving over his shoulder).

3. Mullet Bay had shut down 20 years ago after it was destroyed by a hurricane.

This went on and on and on. He was completely rude and belligerent, like he wasn't going to take any nonsense from some stupid cruise ship passengers, taunting and repeating over and over "You want to miss the ship? I don't care. I live here. I guess you will live here, too." I finally pulled out a map and showed him both Mullet Bay and Maho on it. He kept asking "Who told you to go to Mullet??" I didn't say "gary from CC", which was true, I just said someone told me on the internet. ;)

Finally, after 5+ minutes of this, he says fine, he'll take us, gets in the taxi, slams the door, and does a u-turn. He, of course, knows he's been busted because he points out the taxi stand to us and after a drive of less than 3 minutes, drops us at Mullet Bay.

The really dumb part is he argued with us for longer than it took for him to drive us there!

We could only guess that he had some sort of "arrangement" with the bar he dropped the other passengers at and he was trying to drop 4 more there.

Thanks for passing this on to the appropriate person. I tried to find someone to report it to when we got back to the port, and I told a man there, but he was another driver who just kept saying "What he told you, that ain't true!" and I don't think it got passed on to anyone up the chain of command.

Thanks for the recommendation to go there, by the way; it was worth all the hassle to get to Mullet Bay! Absolutely beautiful!

Completely certain is was Taxi 143. I checked specifically when we got out. ;) Big black Lincoln Navigator with shiny wheels.

The whole situation was so odd! We told the dispatcher/loader that we were going to Mullet (4 of us) so he lined us up in the appropriate place. We had to wait a few minutes, but eventually they put us in Taxi 143. They added 3 people to our taxi, who were going to Maho. The driver dropped them at the bar at Maho that's at the other end of the beach from the Sunset Bar. When we didn't get out, he proceded to tell us that:

1. We would miss the ship if we went there.

2. It was on the other side of the island (while vaguely waving over his shoulder).

3. Mullet Bay had shut down 20 years ago after it was destroyed by a hurricane.

This went on and on and on. He was completely rude and belligerent, like he wasn't going to take any nonsense from some stupid cruise ship passengers, taunting and repeating over and over "You want to miss the ship? I don't care. I live here. I guess you will live here, too." I finally pulled out a map and showed him both Mullet Bay and Maho on it. He kept asking "Who told you to go to Mullet??" I didn't say "gary from CC", which was true, I just said someone told me on the internet. ;)

Finally, after 5+ minutes of this, he says fine, he'll take us, gets in the taxi, slams the door, and does a u-turn. He, of course, knows he's been busted because he points out the taxi stand to us and after a drive of less than 3 minutes, drops us at Mullet Bay.

The really dumb part is he argued with us for longer than it took for him to drive us there!

We could only guess that he had some sort of "arrangement" with the bar he dropped the other passengers at and he was trying to drop 4 more there.

Thanks for passing this on to the appropriate person. I tried to find someone to report it to when we got back to the port, and I told a man there, but he was another driver who just kept saying "What he told you, that ain't true!" and I don't think it got passed on to anyone up the chain of command.

Thanks for the recommendation to go there, by the way; it was worth all the hassle to get to Mullet Bay! Absolutely beautiful!

This is very interesting. I am not sure if the taxi driver and Guy's have a deal but this happens in Grand Case at the restaurants on a regular basis. One restaurant owner told me that taxi drivers will have a passenger and the driver stops the taxi and gets out and asks the owners for a "finders fee" sort of payment. If the owner does not agree to pay, the driver gets back in the taxi and takes the passenger to a different restaurant.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, for what it's worth, I did finally hear back from the Taxi Association President. His e-mail in its entirety reads:

Good Day Mr. gtaylor,

As I promised to get back to you sorry for the late response , We spoke to Mr. Lake Taxi 143 concerning the misunderstanding with him and the guest.

It was a simple misunderstanding and he sends his apologies.

Regards,

Mr. Ottis Hughes

gary

Well, for what it's worth, I did finally hear back from the Taxi Association President. His e-mail in its entirety reads:

Good Day Mr. gtaylor,

As I promised to get back to you sorry for the late response , We spoke to Mr. Lake Taxi 143 concerning the misunderstanding with him and the guest.

Regards,

Mr. Ottis Hughes

gary

Wow.

Yes, I guess you could call it a "misunderstanding". Sadly, his response will color my perception of St Martin, "The Friendly Island", from now on. A cab driver that lies, insults, and strong-arms is not what St Martin needs and is more than a "misunderstanding".

Thanks for your effort to make them aware of our experience. I truly appreciate it.

Good Day Mr. gtaylor,

Regards,

Mr. Ottis Hughes

gary

Gary, perhaps Mr.Hughes read your letter to the editor regarding the water bottles that were said to have been recycled on the water taxis recently and he decided that he should give you an answer. Too bad the answer is so lame.

I don't believe that it was a simple misunderstanding and I applaud the OP for passing on the info, and you for informing Mr. Hughes. Hopefully this won't happen to another visitor.

Sunshine. :)

For the record, the Dutch St. Maarten Taxi Association does not operate the Water Taxis (or the taxis at the Airport).

There are two firms offering them; the owner of Bobby's Marina runs one and I don't know who operates the other.

gary

Sunshine. :)

For the record, the Dutch St. Maarten Taxi Association does not operate the Water Taxis (or the taxis at the Airport).

There are two firms offering them; the owner of Bobby's Marina runs one and I don't know who operates the other.

gary

I just meant that the Dutch St. Maarten Taxi Association doesn't want to mess with you and end up being the subject in a Letter to the Editor!:D

Archived