Maasdam questions: sofa bed and closets

DH and I have booked our first cruise in 19 years, sailing in October, out of Norfolk. Joining us will be my MIL on her first cruise. We have booked an outside cabin for the three of us. Of course this means that someone will be sleeping on the sofa bed and I wanted to know if any adult has actually slept on the sofa bed. If so, was it comfortable or is one of us going to have 10 sleepless nights?

Also could someone tell me how large the hanging closets are? With three adults sharing a cabin, I am trying to plan ahead. I may need to take more items that can be folded, instead of hung on hangers. Thanks!

It really depends on which cabin you booked because some of the sofa beds are full length and some love seat (sits 2 people). Yes, DD (adult) has slept on the sofa but then we were in a B cat. cabin whre the sofa is full length. If it's a love seat type, then it will be too short for an adult. The sofa beds are very comforable according to DD.

Usually there are 4 closets but then again that depends on which cabin you are in. I know that in a D cat. there are 5 closets but in a C, only 4. Some of the closets have shelves, which can be raised up and locked to make for a full length one.

I slept on one of the couches that turns into a bed but it was one of the love seats. It was perfect for me but I'm only 5'2". It probably would have been too short for anyone else in my stateroom to sleep on. It was a comfortable bed though.

• 2 years later...

I know this thread is really old but I didn't want to start a new one.

We'll be traveling on the Maasdam in an S-category suite, two adults and one 8-year-old child. Does the sofa-bed need to be folded out before it is used, or is it made up in-place? If it is folded out, how much room does that leave to walk around in an S cabin? Is there any way to get a bit of distance away from a sleeping child, e.g. to walk out to the verandah, or does the open sofa-bed make that difficult?

I assume that if it was comfortable enough for adults it will be fine for her, so I'm not worried about that -- just about getting around while she's asleep.

I know this thread is really old but I didn't want to start a new one.

We'll be traveling on the Maasdam in an S-category suite, two adults and one 8-year-old child. Does the sofa-bed need to be folded out before it is used, or is it made up in-place? If it is folded out, how much room does that leave to walk around in an S cabin? Is there any way to get a bit of distance away from a sleeping child, e.g. to walk out to the verandah, or does the open sofa-bed make that difficult?

I assume that if it was comfortable enough for adults it will be fine for her, so I'm not worried about that -- just about getting around while she's asleep.

Our teens have used it numerous times. Maasdam S category is quite spacious and even with the bed out, you should have plenty of room. Our kids are can be pretty heavy sleepers, so we've never had a problem.

Ask the steward to make the sofa without unfolding the bed - we have done this a few times and they are happy to accomodate, it's even less work for them.

Thanks. I was checking out the HAL website for bedding options and discovered something really strange. If you try to book an "S" cabin with two people, they offer you two choices of bed setup: KING or DOUBLE. If you try to book the same cabin with 3 people, they offer only TWIN as an option.

What gives? How can the cabin possibly have a "DOUBLE" option (they've got two TWIN beds that make one KING, right? Or are they actually two DOUBLE beds???). And how on earth does that change into TWIN if you've got a child along with you?

What we want is one king plus the sofa bed. Surely that is the obvious choice? And yet it is not listed.... Hmm...?

(If the cabin really has two doubles, then we don't need the sofa bed at all. But that seems unlikely).

One further complication -- my TA said that only SOME of the S-category cabins are suitable for 3 people. Surely that is incorrect?

It really depends on which cabin you booked because some of the sofa beds are full length and some love seat (sits 2 people). Yes, DD (adult) has slept on the sofa but then we were in a B cat. cabin whre the sofa is full length. If it's a love seat type, then it will be too short for an adult. The sofa beds are very comforable according to DD.

Usually there are 4 closets but then again that depends on which cabin you are in. I know that in a D cat. there are 5 closets but in a C, only 4. Some of the closets have shelves, which can be raised up and locked to make for a full length one.

The cabins that have love seats are not for 3 people according to the deck plan. The sofa beds are as long as a twin bed. The bottom flips over to reveal the mattress for the evening. This is a good way for 3 to travel. No blocking the walk around room in the cabin. I been the 3rd in a cabin on several occations. A, B, D, and F catagory cabins.

Well, according to the deck plans and key, NONE of the S cabins (or even the PS) on the Maasdam will accomodate three people :). But I'm assuming they just didn't bother cluttering the plan with those little circles and squares for cabins that are obviously big enough.

My DH (5' 6") has slept on the sofabed. This was on the Amsterdam. It was a full size sofa and the mattress is the width of the sofa seat. (It did not fold out.) He seemed to be fairly comfortable.......he does have back problems but didn't complain about the sofabed. If the adult is extremely tall, the sofabed might be too small, but for a shorter adult, it should be fine.

Archived