Unlimited Internet Package on Triumph?

Cruisin' Cool CAT

Good Morning!

Does anyone know if the Triumph has the unlimited internet package? No luck finding the answer and PVP doesn't know.

We used it this past May on the Magic to keep contact with the kids at home and it was awesome...would like to do this same for our April sailing on Triumph if offered.

Thanks for any info you can provide :)

My understanding is that none of the ships are offering unlimited high-speed Internet at this time.

I, too, sailed on the Carnival Magic during the summer of 2012 when they were doing an experiment with unlimited high-speed Internet. I agree that it was AWESOME! I would love to see it again in future cruises... and I'm sure that there will be a day (years from now) when this will be the norm.

However, my understanding is that for now, Carnival has decided that there are still some issues that need to be worked out before they can offer it again.

I read an interesting article about how MTN communications (the company that provides the Internet access to Carnival) is working to make equipment upgrades that will provide better Internet access at sea. However, it's still a few years away, I think.

Hang in there... eventually, I'm sure, we'll laugh about the slow Internet-at-sea we had back in "the old days" of the early 21st century. But for your cruises in the next year or so on Carnival, I think we're stuck with the current situation.

MTN communications has a big project they call "MTN Nexus" which will improve Internet connectivity at sea. You can learn a lot more about it by taking a look at their MTN Nexus brochure. Click here to view it.

The key element of this plan involves what they call Spot Beam Technology. This technology takes a satellite signal and focuses all the power in to a specific geographic area... kind of like the difference between turning on a bare light bulb in a room (the light is spread weakly over the entire room) and turning on a spotlight (the light is focused intensely on one specific area).

Basically, they will focus their satellite Internet signal on specific areas that cruise ships tend to frequent... such as the Bahamas, the eastern Caribbean, the western Caribbean, etc. Specific highly focused beams aimed at each of those areas. When the ship is in those specific areas, the Internet will be very fast. When the ship is not in those specific areas, it will shift over to the conventional satellite signal they use now. And in certain ports, they will beam a very fast Internet signal to the ship not via satellite, but via a wireless broadband signal.

Regarding the timing of all this...

The centerpiece of this system, the Spot Beam Technology, requires the new Intelsat satellite called EPIC. This satellite is currently scheduled to be launched in to orbit in 2015. So, this is all still a couple of years away.

Archived