Breakaway balcony cabin

gizmo911

I am planning to take a friend of mine who has MS and uses a walker on a cruise in March. I called NCL today and the cost for HD balcony cabin is too expensive for me ( I just got back from Gem). She would not do well in regular public pool area due to limited energy and tolerance to heat/sun. I wanted to make sure that she could at least sit outside and enjoy the ocean view and return to cabin as needed. Can anyone who has sailed the Breakaway suggest a balcony cabin that was comfortable and sizable so she could have a lounger and get in and out with a walker. Thanks

Note: I posted on NCL thread but thought it would be a good idea to also post here.

I am planning to take a friend of mine who has MS and uses a walker on a cruise in March. I called NCL today and the cost for HD balcony cabin is too expensive for me ( I just got back from Gem). She would not do well in regular public pool area due to limited energy and tolerance to heat/sun. I wanted to make sure that she could at least sit outside and enjoy the ocean view and return to cabin as needed. Can anyone who has sailed the Breakaway suggest a balcony cabin that was comfortable and sizable so she could have a lounger and get in and out with a walker. Thanks

Note: I posted on NCL thread but thought it would be a good idea to also post here.

I have MS so understand the issue of heat intolerance. Also understand that though I would be appreciative of someone wanting to treat me to a cruise , I would not be understanding of someone presuming to understand my needs and as a result make decisions on my behalf.

• Personally would never book a standard balcony cabin as there is a step over threshold out onto the balcony which does not work well for someone using a mobility aid. I can always find a place outside on the pool deck that's covered and works very nicely for me if I choose to sit outside for a while .
  • Another consideration is what type of seating is on the balcony. If it is chase lounges , generally speaking they are generally too low for someone who has MS and requires the use of walker to assist them getting up/out of a regular chair let alone a lounger.
  • A standard bathroom has a 4"-8" step to get into the bathroom. Also the bathroom doorway is not wide enough to be able to accommodate a walker. Even if the doorway was wide enough there is no room in the bathroom to accommodate a walker.
  • Additionally the toilet in a standard cabin is lower than in an accessible cabin toilet and there are no grab bars by the toilet which your friend may need especially since her walker would not be able to fit into the bathroom to assist her.
  • The shower in a standard cabin will have a step over base which again could pose a problem for your friend. Though you will be able to request a shower stool from NCL's Special Needs Dept the shower will not have the proper grab bars which again are very important since the shower is does not have a zero threshold and also that her walker will not fit into the bathroom.

Again this is a nice gesture but I'm afraid you are making too many assumptions as to what would work best for your friend . My family makes this mistake all the time. They think that they know my needs because they only see me at family functions and don't see what I go through when living within the boundaries of my own home.

As too the issue of limited energy, your friend really would need to consider renting a mobility scooter which can be delivered to the ship. Though I use a walker at home , I always rent a mobility scooter for cruises. Otherwise I really would not enjoy the cruise as I would miss out on too much. Not to mention going ashore in port. If a mobility scooter is needed than an Accessible Cabin MUST be booked.

You would better offer to book an Oceanview or Inside Accessible cabin rather than booking a standard balcony cabin.

As far as the cost of Accessible cabins. The cruise line cannot charge any more for an accessible cabin as the standard cabins in the same category. For example NCL cannot charge differently for a BC Balcony Accessible Cabin than a BC Balcony Standard cabin.

Edited by xxoocruiser

• 1 year later...

just wanted to thank you for the detail given in your response! I just booked the Break Away for later in the month and wasn't able to get an accessible cabin to be able to bring a 3rd passenger who cannot manage any step up into the bathroom. This calms my worry that I made the wrong decision! Thank you!!!