Lamanai Ruins - what to wear

thescot123

Will be doing the Lamanai Ruins in about 4 weeks and am wondering what to wear. It appears that it is the rainy season in Belize so am thinking about wearing stuff that can easily dry out.

Is it okay to wear open walking sandals or should you wear closed shoes like running shoes. I know that it is in the jungle so will take bug spray. Are there a lot of bugs that can cause issues if wearing sandals?

For me, I am thinking that gym shoes will take forever to dry out if they get wet so sandals maybe better. What has other people worn while doing this tour?

We took an excursion to Lamanai in March a couple of years ago. I wore shorts, tank top and gym shoes/running shoes. It did rain for a short time, quite a heavily but it didn't last long.

I preferred having closed shoes with soles that grip as I wasn't sure what the trail through the jungle would be like, also for climbing up the steps at the ruins which are quite steep.

I don't recall much a of a problem with mosquitoes when we were there in March.

We took an excursion to Lamanai in March a couple of years ago. I wore shorts, tank top and gym shoes/running shoes. It did rain for a short time, quite a heavily but it didn't last long.

I preferred having closed shoes with soles that grip as I wasn't sure what the trail through the jungle would be like, also for climbing up the steps at the ruins which are quite steep.

I don't recall much a of a problem with mosquitoes when we were there in March.

Thanks. Was concerned about my sneakers getting soaking wet and taking days to dry out on the ship. Did you encounter a lot of mud on these trails?

We took this excursion a couple of years ago. DW and I wore closed toe running shoes and I'm glad we did. The paths were rough, rocky, and uneven. It was also very muddy and slippery at times. It was very hot and humid. We were both wearing shorts and tank tops. We had applied bug spray before leaving the ship so had no problem with mosquitos.

On the other hand, it was a great experience and we are both glad we went.

Here is a link in case anyone is interested is seeing the slideshow my wife made with her pictures. It's on her personal website which you can access at the link below.

Belize, Lamanai Mayan Ruins

Loved this tour be sure to take a rain poncho and maybe a hat. For sure sneakers rough trails. Have a great time.

Thanks. Have already add the poncho to my list. I believe that Oct is still in the rainy season so am prepared for those tropical showers.

We didn't do Lamanai but just got back and did Atum Ha. Both DH and I wore Keen whisper type sandals. They are great for gripping and climbing and your feet stay ventilated. I got them wet in Roatan and they dry quickly. They also have the rubber toe guard which is good for climbing.

We stocked up with mosquito repellant. Used avon skin so soft prior to leaving ship, had out battery clip on repellents, had deep woods off in my camera bag plus cutter wipes. No problems.

Archived