NYC Breakaway 9-15-2013 w/ pics

Medtech2

Hi Medtech2 - I have enjoyed your review very much! It brought back all those good memories of my cruise on Breakaway back in early September. :)

Kudos to you trying out various activities in the Sports Complex. Which one is your favorite? IMO, I found Bungee Trampoline more challenging than Rope Course. I barely did the back flips, but no luck in doing the front flips. :rolleyes: (and my lower back's sore for next couple of days...)

Thanks again!

Mandy

Hi Medtech2 - I have enjoyed your review very much! It brought back all those good memories of my cruise on Breakaway back in early September. :)

Kudos to you trying out various activities in the Sports Complex. Which one is your favorite? IMO, I found Bungee Trampoline more challenging than Rope Course. I barely did the back flips, but no luck in doing the front flips. :rolleyes: (and my lower back's sore for next couple of days...)

Thanks again!

Mandy

H! I am definitely a slide person. I never attempted a flip on the Bungee because without my glasses I couldn't see 2 feet. Half the fun would be seeing everything from such a vantage point!

Hi,

I just read your 1st posting and just love it! I live in Queens and I'm glad to see that there are people who realize that Manhattan is not the entire NYC area! Queens is a beautiful borough. So now I'm going to finish reading the entire posting. :)

When we stopped for lunch in the park there was a long line of food stands. All were basically empty except for a 50 deep line at this Falafel Stand so I joined in. Boy was it good. Ask for extra sauce and to mix in the hot sauce--a great combination! DH, on the other hand, got a beef hotdog from a Halal stand, very adventurous, lol.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

The 9/11 Memorial usually needed tickets in advance I am told but we walked right up and in...

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Even though I live in NY I make it a point not to go to the WTC site. I was at work when everything happened on 9/11 and it still hurts. But looking at your pictures and reading your words (can't believe I'm going to say this) I will go and see for myself. So Thank you!!

Hi,

I just read your 1st posting and just love it! I live in Queens and I'm glad to see that there are people who realize that Manhattan is not the entire NYC area! Queens is a beautiful borough. So now I'm going to finish reading the entire posting. :)

I'm glad. I can't tell you how many people on here and those with which I work told me not to stay there. How silly! Much more easy on the budget, convenient, and SAFE...

Even though I live in NY I make it a point not to go to the WTC site. I was at work when everything happened on 9/11 and it still hurts. But looking at your pictures and reading your words (can't believe I'm going to say this) I will go and see for myself. So Thank you!!

It was moving, but also left you with a feeling of hope and solace :)

September 16 2013

Our M & G was scheduled at 11am in Cagney’s. We went there at 10:30 to set up. I had planned a Poker Run during the Cabin Crawl, which was coordinated by NYCCRUISEGIRL. I had cards in each of 5 bags for people to draw from. We had 6 cabins so at the last cabin people showed their hands to determine the winners. I had asked while setting up the M & G if the ship could provide a prize and Raewyn and Merci (Breakaway Group Coordinators) came through with 5 Breakaway Inaugural Season Tote Bags with assorted goodies. Thank You! We had roughly 110 people who had said they would attend, and I believe almost that number showed up. It was hectic, at least for me, and I was unable to meet everyone or even say hello to the officers who came in.

The officers, including the Captain, lined up and were introduced by Dan the Man, our Cruise Director, but then they all left to attend to their duties. Dan did a Q & A for everyone who had questions. I had also asked that a ship photographer be there to take a group picture and this became a two-edged sword. On the one hand, the picture turned out phenomenal, but I had assumed that it would be taken in Cagney’s, and not disrupt our M & G. As it was, the photographer was on a time crunch and wanted to take it at the grand staircase. That abruptly ended the M & G, and in turn any chance at meeting everybody. The majority met at the staircase and patiently grouped and posed for a picture. The photo was available for purchase in the Photo Shop and was posted on the wall. There was no way to put one in everyone’s portfolio so hopefully people browsed the walls and saw it. Then we started the Cabin Crawl. We saw a Studio, Balcony, Balcony Mini-Suite, Large Balcony, Aft Facing Balcony, and an Aft Facing Suite. We did not see an inside or oceanview do to time constraints. It was great to see the various cabins and I believe people really enjoyed themselves. Congratulations to the winners of the Poker Run. I have no idea who ultimately won as my losing hand needed to get out of the way for others to see the last cabin. Also, I would like to take the time here to apologize to those I was not able to meet personally on our Roll Call.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Fantastic Review!!! I'm planning a M&M for the Thanksgiving cruise - what exactly is a Poker Run? And what help will NCL give me? Granted so far I don't have 110 people just 30 but its still early. Thank you for any advice you can give me and also great review and wonderful pictures - I felt I was on the ship w/you 2 - LOL!

Fantastic Review!!! I'm planning a M&M for the Thanksgiving cruise - what exactly is a Poker Run? And what help will NCL give me? Granted so far I don't have 110 people just 30 but its still early. Thank you for any advice you can give me and also great review and wonderful pictures - I felt I was on the ship w/you 2 - LOL!

When we did our cabin crawl we had 6 cabins. I had a bag of cards for each of the first 5 cabins. Everyone who participated took one card out. At the 6th cabin everyone compared hands and the best 5 card poker hand won.

When I emailed Norwegian about the M & G I asked if they could provide a small prize. If they had not I was going to provide one myself. I also bought the cards at the dollar store and pre-mixed them in paper bags. I handed them out to the cabin hosts at the M & G.

If you have a smaller group it is also fun to exchange small gifts representing your hometown.

Slot Pulls are also fun but we did not do one on this sailing as no one would step forward to run it. Too bad because this was a fun group!

When we did our cabin crawl we had 6 cabins. I had a bag of cards for each of the first 5 cabins. Everyone who participated took one card out. At the 6th cabin everyone compared hands and the best 5 card poker hand won.

When I emailed Norwegian about the M & G I asked if they could provide a small prize. If they had not I was going to provide one myself. I also bought the cards at the dollar store and pre-mixed them in paper bags. I handed them out to the cabin hosts at the M & G.

If you have a smaller group it is also fun to exchange small gifts representing your hometown.

Slot Pulls are also fun but we did not do one on this sailing as no one would step forward to run it. Too bad because this was a fun group!

Thanks for your quick reply - I'm a novice at this what exactly is a slot pull?

Thanks for your quick reply - I'm a novice at this what exactly is a slot pull?

Everyone who participates puts in an amount of money and gets "X" number of pulls on a mutually agreed upon slot machine. If there are winnings it is split or, in our case on the Epic, re-invested for the fun of it until gone. (We would have ended up with $2 otherwise so just kept pulling)

Everyone who participates puts in an amount of money and gets "X" number of pulls on a mutually agreed upon slot machine. If there are winnings it is split or, in our case on the Epic, re-invested for the fun of it until gone. (We would have ended up with $2 otherwise so just kept pulling)

Thank you so much sounds like fun I'm going to see if the group is interested. I have another question did you and your DH try or see info on the Chef Table?

I'm glad. I can't tell you how many people on here and those with which I work told me not to stay there. How silly! Much more easy on the budget, convenient, and SAFE...

Just want to add, the Long Island City in Queens is a very safe neighborhood, notable for its rapid and ongoing gentrification. The price tags on those condos in Long Island City can go head-to-head with those in Manhattan! :eek: