So Confused....Nassau Help

wanderlust1026

I've been researching like crazy for my family's cruise that will depart this weekend-9/28. We will be in Nassau on Monday from 8a-5p. It will be my husband and two kids ages 3 and 6.

I have been looking high and low for options...tried to find something a little different than just a (beautiful) beach day as we will be doing that at our two other ports (Freeport, HMC). Atlantis, although pricey sounded like it has a few things to keep us occupied-water park, aquarium, beach, etc. We want to relax but definitely love exploring esp since we have never been to Nassau.

I've read a few different posts about how I could book room at Comfort Inn, etc. when I looked at Comfort Inn rates yesterday, the cost was way better than going through cruise. Today though prices skyrocketed!

So my question is this: can I go directly to the Atlantis when I get in port and buy day passes? Some posts say yes, some say no. If so buying direct at Atlantis-will the cost for my family be as expensive as going through the cruise?

I was thinking of the Sheraton as my alternative but it seems like the "standard day" that I was hoping to try to avoid for at least this port. Walking around on our own seems to be advised against...help, please!

Can't comment on Atlantis since we haven't done that, but walking around on your own is not as bad as some folks would make it out to be - stick to the main roads, areas. Last time in Nassau we did the walking tour (Frommer's has a good one on their website) - saw the Queen's Staircase, Fort Fincastle, Government House, Graycliffe, parliament square. We then took a jitney (local bus) to the fish fry area and had conch fritters at Goldie's. We then walked back up the esplanade to Junkanoo Beach, hung out there for a while, then back through the straw market to the port. Never felt scared or threatened.

This time coming up in Nassau we are going to walk to the new rum distillery, John Watling's, for a tour, then maybe walk down to see Fort Charlotte and have a bite at the Cricket Club before heading back to Junkanoo Beach.

There is also a pirate museum in Nassau your kids might enjoy, or the Ardastra Zoo. There are horse drawn carriage rides around downtown also.

We have done the comfort suites in the past and it was a lot of fun. I know you said you were trying to avoid a beach day, but the wyndham has a really nice water slide that looks like a volcano and they have a swim up bar. Although fun for a 6 yo, not sure about 3? There is a zoo that I have read about but have never been. Also a pirate museum

Thank you all for your replies. I was about to the Sheraton and Wyndham - thank you for letting me know about slide!

I think that I'll have a little more courage to do some walking around on our own now and just explore. Got jazzed up by Atlantis thinking that we could be there all day and easily entertained - but the cost to do so! Sheesh!

I'll look at Frommers, walking around and checking out maybe the Pirates museum and such. And Junkanoo Beach - is that a good one to go to near all the shops and such?

Ideal day would be to walk around, explore, shop a little and then head off to the beach vs. a whole day of tours or a whole day at the beach (which as I mentioned we will be doing in the other ports - ha!).

Thanks again...I'll keep doing some research now on alternatives!

Can't comment on Atlantis since we haven't done that, but walking around on your own is not as bad as some folks would make it out to be - stick to the main roads, areas. Last time in Nassau we did the walking tour (Frommer's has a good one on their website) - saw the Queen's Staircase, Fort Fincastle, Government House, Graycliffe, parliament square. We then took a jitney (local bus) to the fish fry area and had conch fritters at Goldie's. We then walked back up the esplanade to Junkanoo Beach, hung out there for a while, then back through the straw market to the port. Never felt scared or threatened.

This time coming up in Nassau we are going to walk to the new rum distillery, John Watling's, for a tour, then maybe walk down to see Fort Charlotte and have a bite at the Cricket Club before heading back to Junkanoo Beach.

There is also a pirate museum in Nassau your kids might enjoy, or the Ardastra Zoo. There are horse drawn carriage rides around downtown also.

I had to smile when I read this cause this is what we do in Nassau... we love it there and always have fun! My kids love the zoo, especially the flamingos! just don't miss the flamingo show or the bird show...we also love Goldies but go for the conch chowder (YUM). What is also funny is that we will be there again in Nov and have planned almost the same day as you (we have to go to Goldies again).

I do some research then I guess I just like to not do the all inclusive hotel thing. I have always felt safe in Nassau.

Thank you all for your replies. I was about to the Sheraton and Wyndham - thank you for letting me know about slide!

I think that I'll have a little more courage to do some walking around on our own now and just explore. Got jazzed up by Atlantis thinking that we could be there all day and easily entertained - but the cost to do so! Sheesh!

I'll look at Frommers, walking around and checking out maybe the Pirates museum and such. And Junkanoo Beach - is that a good one to go to near all the shops and such?

Ideal day would be to walk around, explore, shop a little and then head off to the beach vs. a whole day of tours or a whole day at the beach (which as I mentioned we will be doing in the other ports - ha!).

Thanks again...I'll keep doing some research now on alternatives!

I would suggest going to the port talks on the ship. Get all the coupins for free stuff or really cheap stuff. Effy gives away necklaces, some places give loose stones - they are not great quality but fun to get - your children may enjoy getting all the free gifts, you can window shop and enjoy the air conditioning. There is a shop Cariola (sp) that sells bamboo clothes and towels and they give free bamboo necklaces again fun for the kids. The back part of the store sells items that change color in the sun and they have items that would appeal to the young ones. The items start at about $5.00 if I remember. I bought bamboo bath towels and I love them along with a hairclip that changes color. The straw market could be fun also. I have not found the vendors aggressive I just tell them I am looking they generally leave you alone. Most do like to barter. Hope this helps.

Archived