Legend of the Seas health related issue

If he is the only sick passenger, it is more likely that he got it off the ship. If someone else comes down with it then they have to find the source. Just because he became sick when on the ship, doesn't necessarily mean he caught it on the ship. I wish the article had reported how long he was on the ship before he took ill.

I was on that ship and that cruise. It was a 14 night cruise in the Mediterranean. I believe this passenger was ill when he came on board (this came from various crew members during this ordeal). There were almost 2,200 passengers and 700 crew and not one other person was ill. We didn't stay in Barcelona an extra day, contray to what the article states. It simply took Spanish authorities 7 and 1/2 hours to determine that this was not a "ship-wide" problem. The ship was to depart Barcelona at 5 pm but didn't leave until after midnight. The water supplies were all tested and found to be fine. The pool was required to be super chlorinated by the port authority (strange since they put new sea water in several times) and the port authority required the ship to load up with freah water from Barcelona (nice price tag on that I bet). The captain did his best to keep us informed but was very frustrated by the inability to get anyone in Spain to make a decison. Finally we left the port but only after so much time passed that we were forced to miss our stop at Lisbon, Portugal. We did make the scheduled stop at Vigo, Spain. Since the Spanish authorities allowed the ship to dock in Vigo, Spain a couple of days later, there must have been no concern that the ship was somehow infected. For whatever its worth, the general consensus of the passengers on board was that this was a bureaucratic way of charging the cruise line extra money to remain docked at the port and to get further cash for new water. Obviously we were not on the bridge so I have no first hand knowledge of what was said behind closed doors. Nevertheless, when everyone else was healthy, you can come to your own conclusions. I thought Royal Caribbean handled the situation as well as could be expected. The cruise was great by the way.

I was on that ship. The passenger was sick on the 27th June, and apart from him as far as I know no other passenger had the same thing for the rest of the cruise.

They closed down the whirlpool, sauna and steam room for the remaining cruise.

Perhaps in the end it was just pnuemonia.

Callow

Actually, they gave each cabin a 50 pound (roughly $100) credit on the stateroom invoice. I think most of us appreciated that gesture although I really did hate to miss Lisbon. Yet under the circumstances there wasn't a lot they could do.

I don't know much about the illness but if it's transmittable and he was on the ship with it, others may be at risk.

No worry no one will be at risk as this is not transmittable between human people. At least there is no case known where this had happened so far.

If it was really the only case onboard it´s not likely that the source was onboard. I´m sure there won´t be a problem on the Legend ongoing.

Archived