Hiking type backpack carrier

carlissaandisaacsmommy

Our son will be 18 months old when we cruise next month. We have a stroller, Ergo, and hiking type backpack cartier(metal frame type) that we use at home. He doesn't really like the Ergo much anymore because he is so big and gets so hot up against us. He really likes the hiking backpack. Is it too big to use? Has anyone taken one on before? I'm thinking it would be much easier to carry him in this through the airport, embarkation, etc...than to push the stroller. That way we all have 2 hands to carry things with. It will fold up flat so storage isn't an issue. But, will people look at us like we're crazy? Can he stay in it while we go through security at the airport? He is WIDE OPEN and I know we will be shunned if people see his backpack/leash ;)

I'd do it. My 4 year old still rides in our BabyHawk Oh Snap all the time. The 4 and 2 year olds fight over who gets to ride on mommy's back. We will have a collection of carriers on our cruise, though I don't care for the hiking type nearly as much as the soft structured carriers. My favs are BabyHawk, Beco Butterfly II, and Beco Gemini.

For that age I'd grab a toddler Tula. It'll fit your 18month old much better than the ergo. When it's hot out try a frogg togg chilly pad. Keeps you both cool and dry. I'd avoid the hiking backpack. The metal may give your trouble through security (with an ergo or Tula they'll let you wear him through security) and its may be a pain to store and carry. A Tula is easy to roll up and carry/store as well.

We don't have one, but I've seen several backpack carriers. Usually you can gate check them on the plane too. Your son will have to get out to go through security however and the carrier will have to go through the scanner like everything else.

Oh, I've also seen many backpack/leashes and the people who shun them are often the ones who shun children in general.

Use what you feel is safest for your and your child. :)

We will be traveling with our two toddlers. We will have a double stroller, an umbrella stroller and an ergo. So NO I don't think that a backpack carrier is too bulky, plus those things are super helpful. With kids this age is better to have something and not need it that need it and a melt down.:p

Archived