Ft Lauderdale ?'s

wcolucci

Roll call was my next question. I forgot where it was. We're still not done w/ the if ands or buts...but I'm hopeful we can do this tho it is starting to look doubtful....when he next question is "can we sail out of NY or Boston and head north??" It a'int looking to good It has been over a year since my last cruise, I miss it...and I had never cruised before Jan 2004.

Thansk for the advice McDebbie, but if you had a mug like mine in the morning, you wouldn't be able to stay in front of the mirror long enough to say it 15 times!!i

Well, I guess it will still work if you just say it and don't look in the mirror. :D

For those of you staying in Dania, please don't walk around outside at night by yourselfs - in a group is fine but it's not really the best area. Area around Embassy and the Marriott are fine. Oh, also on the Embassy you can go up to the top floor and there are outside areas that you can see the cruise ships - just look up from the lobby, you'll see the areas.

McDebbie -- We usually stay at the Hollywood LaQuinta pre-cruise. Recently heard about a new Super 8 in Dania with a good rate ($59) and are considering giving it a try. Can you provide any input on this facility re its location, etc.? Thanks.

Well, I went thru priceline and it backfired a bit. I got a good rate at the Airport Sheraton, normally $110 for $60 bucks plus taxes, BUT....

They charge ten bucks a day to leave your car there and they do not shuttle to the pier. :mad:

Since it is non-refundable I guess I am out the money but at least I will be in town the night before. That may not be that bad considering how the tropical season has begun.

I will just drive on to the pier and pay my $12 bucks a night, I guess.

Let me echo "Puppie's" (Hiya Mike!) welcome to come over to our roll call for the 9/10 sailing of the Zui!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=4200606#post4200606

So far we've planned a get-together in the Crow's Nest after the lifeboat drill, but that's about as organized as we been. Mostly we ask questions (me especially, I'm the newbie!!), have fun and get excited about our upcoming days on the ship!

I'm a little nervous about hurricanes too. I've read some accounts of what happened last year and it seemed for the most part that people were safely diverted well away from any bad weather. The passengers that had the worst experiences were the ones that were stuck in port (had to ride out the hurricanes while in a hotel). I guess that's just plain bad luck. If I'm on the ship, I feel very confident the captain and his crew will be able to steer clear of any approaching weather.

Hope to see you 9/10er's on the roll call soon! :D

Gail (I go by "gala" on the roll call since there is another Gail posting there)

Southbound - sorry, I just got back to this thread. I don't know of a new Super 8 in Dania, I know of the one on Stirling close to Oakwood but that has been there for years. (Of course by this time it could be something else! :D ) Do you have an address? Most of the hotels around the airport are fine (the airport is like two minutes from the port) but some of them are in areas that you shouldn't be walking at night. Okay, let me clarify that - it's not criminally or drug bad but you might see some ladies that you don't see during the day if you get my drift.

Downtown Dania has the Jai-lai gambling place - which come to think of it some of you might enjoy, but the area around it is liquor stores, pawn shops, etc.

McDebbie -- It's the Super 8 Dania/Fort Laud Airport at 333 So. Federal Highway. The overview info says "Brand new hotel, recently opened in April 2005. Beautiful new rooms, very spacious." Also a list of about a dozen restaurants, among which are Jacksons Steakhouse, Max's Beach Place.

Neither my husband nor I could pinpoint this place so we are going to take a drive tomorrow and scope it out. ;) Inquiring minds want to know.... I'll take the digital! Plus then I'll get to go to our favorite pizza place - Primanti Brothers.

Watching the cruise ships is great in the Winter. Not much to see during the summer. Usually only the Zuiderdam and Caribbean Princess in port. Sometimes a RCCL ship, but most RCCL and Carnivore ships leave from Miami.

Don't you mean Carnival??? I never heard of Carnivore Cruiseline?

I'm planning to sail HAL sometime in the future.h

Archived