Anyone Decorate Balconies?

cruiseray

On thinking about now, I agree that it's tacky; the ship would look like a cartoon if everyone decorated their balconies. But I must admit that during one of our earlier cruises -- probably our first with a balcony, on HAL -- I did hang something (I don't recall what, but most likely something that wouldn't even qualify as a decoration) from the balcony railing so that we could more easily see our balcony from the port. Couldn't see it, after all. When we returned to the ship we realized that the reason we couldn't see it was because our steward had removed it and placed it on one of the balcony chairs. I suspect that he was trying to keep the ship looking good, and doing his job well. Never tried it again after that.

Tacky? I think not!!! Click Here

Thanks for sticking up for us Marlin!

I think our palm tree was perfect!

Thanks again for the great Salmon dinner you cooked last weekend, we had a great time as always!

Suncat and Mr.:)

Flags, banners, lights, etc. hung from the railing - absolutely not. I would vote with the tacky brigade on those. The only time I have seen that was on a Carnival ship in Cozumel.

The inflatable palm tree sounds pretty funny (as long as it is well secured) and I would probably get a good chuckle out of it. The decorated stuffed toy in the window for the child gets another thumbs up.

Everybody needs a little decoration sometimes - It's festive, It's vacation, It shows you and your friends which cabin is yours in the pics afterwards! It's all good!! I say to each his own. Have fun - I'm bringing lights to go with my Palm tree next time!:)

Flags, banners, lights, etc. hung from the railing - absolutely not. I would vote with the tacky brigade on those. The only time I have seen that was on a Carnival ship in Cozumel.

The inflatable palm tree sounds pretty funny (as long as it is well secured) and I would probably get a good chuckle out of it. The decorated stuffed toy in the window for the child gets another thumbs up.

Everyone has their own personal taste, but I don't see a difference between between flags, banners, lights or having the inflatable palm tree or toy in the window. That being said I thinkthere is such thing as overkill, if I saw a balcony filled with inflatable palm trees, flamingoes, etc, with flags & banners and lights then I think THAT would be too much. One or two items is charming and cute, one filled with such items is (I hate to use this term since it's been used so much, but) tacky

Just my thoughts

The kids love to have it done. I know there is a number but it adds an even more festive air to the whole experience. I just bought some lights to have out on our balcony when we travel this fall. So much nicer than the harsh outdoor light.

I love the windsock idea. When the kids were really little ~ we use to prop their stuffed animals in our oceanview windows so we could pick out our cabin from shore...QUOTE]

We did that too! Thought my son would burst and bounce right off the tender when he saw his teddies looking out the window for him. :D

Wish I could get a balcony to decorate I think it would look lovely so :p to y'all that think its tacky.

We were on our honeymoon cruise in October on the Golden. We decorated our cabin door in a Halloween-Honeymoon theme. We had a mini-suite with a balcony and hung a string of little Halloween flags under our railing on our balcony. We had the open uncovered balcony and taped a halloween flag to the table top on the balcony and could easily tell which balcony was ours, when we looked down from the upper decks. Like anyone else cared.....

What can you expect, we are from Alabama.....The airlines were going to charge extra for us to bring the spare couch with us off our front porch to put on the balcony, plus I would have had to tip..... and there was no room to bring the cement blocks and car parts......

No walkie talkies though.......

We have been on 20+ cruises and ALWAYS decorate our cabin door and balcony. We always have our Ohio State flag flying on the balcony and have also used battery-powered white lights around the railing. We have hung windsocks and also taped tropical decorations to the glass underneath the railing. We don't do it for anyone else to see - just us!

It is NOT tacky, just a lot of fun and neat to look up and be able to pick out your cabin when you're in port. We always have lots of postivie comments about our door decorations and others have told us it also helps them find their way down those L-O-N-G hallways.

Lighten up, don't be so critical of people just trying to have some fun on their vacation. If people can smoke and "do the deed" on their balconies, I don't see anything wrong with decorating them!

Kathy

Lighten up, don't be so critical of people just trying to have some fun on their vacation. If people can smoke and "do the deed" on their balconies, I don't see anything wrong with decorating them!

Kathy

As long as they dont get caugth up in the lights

hahahaha :eek:

We were on our honeymoon cruise in October on the Golden. We decorated our cabin door in a Halloween-Honeymoon theme. We had a mini-suite with a balcony and hung a string of little Halloween flags under our railing on our balcony. We had the open uncovered balcony and taped a halloween flag to the table top on the balcony and could easily tell which balcony was ours, when we looked down from the upper decks. Like anyone else cared.....

What can you expect, we are from Alabama.....The airlines were going to charge extra for us to bring the spare couch with us off our front porch to put on the balcony, plus I would have had to tip..... and there was no room to bring the cement blocks and car parts......

No walkie talkies though.......

You are killin me here. TOO FUNNY.

I also veto on the walkie talkies just because I think alot of times people forget anyone else is around and are VERY loud. I go on my cruise for relaxation...the constant beeping and static of walkie talkies doesn't promote that.

Ok...quite honestly, I was planning on bringing our motorollas on our cruise. We have 2 teens and it is a good way to keep in touch with them. I don't carry on long, loud conversations on it, just the minimum to keep up with them. Never considered it "tacky" until I read this thread. Wouldn't you rather I kept in touch with my teens and made sure they were where they should be when they should instead of letting them "run wild and unattended". I choose to keep in touch, daily...

[quote name='scopewest']I'd love to know what cabin/ship that palm tree is on! Great shot.[/QUOTE]

It was our cabin!

I got the idea off of this website!

I bought the tree for $10 bucks off of ebay! I bought a hand pump at the dollar store and it only took about ten minutes to blow the thing up! I plan to have another palm tree next July on the Crown Princess, except this time we'll be in B-748/Port.

If people think it tacky - so what! I'd like to know why my picture has been downloaded 500 times from webshots if it's so tacky? I think people like it!

Suncat

Guest Host Tink
[quote name='TechKnowBabble']You are killin me here. TOO FUNNY.

I also veto on the walkie talkies just because I think alot of times people forget anyone else is around and are VERY loud. I go on my cruise for relaxation...the constant beeping and static of walkie talkies doesn't promote that.[/QUOTE]

As a fellow parent, and advocate of the walkie-talkies, I wanted to put in my $.02. They are very helpful when you know you will be separated from your loved ones for a period of time. I have one for my 6 year old, she has to take it with her when she goes to her friend's house up the block, and I will periodically call her on it. If she doesn't answer I go up there and check on her. It's a great way to keep in touch!

[font=Comic Sans MS]Host Tink, yes but you are describing a situation from your home, not when you may be next to a stranger on a cruise ship. [/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS]kevinsac, yes it is wrong. We have a small door hanger, don't use walkie-talkies or cell phones, decorate our balcony, save pool chairs or theater seats, don't wear jeans in the dining room or hats while inside. We only push the elevator button for our floor and always wash our hands after using the bathroom. ;) [/font]

[quote name='Host Tink']As a fellow parent, and advocate of the walkie-talkies, I wanted to put in my $.02. They are very helpful when you know you will be separated from your loved ones for a period of time. I have one for my 6 year old, she has to take it with her when she goes to her friend's house up the block, and I will periodically call her on it. If she doesn't answer I go up there and check on her. It's a great way to keep in touch![/QUOTE]

I would just prefer that someone who is almost yelling into their walkie talkie not be sitting next to me. If someone is in an area where it is hard to hear or be heard on the walkie talkie then they should move to another location. Same principle as people who find it necessary to speak very loudly on their cell phones in a restaurant or some type of public event.

JMHO

[quote name='catmand'][font=Comic Sans MS]Host Tink, yes but you are describing a situation from your home, not when you may be next to a stranger on a cruise ship. [/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS]kevinsac, yes it is wrong. We have a small door hanger, don't use walkie-talkies or cell phones, decorate our balcony, save pool chairs or theater seats, don't wear jeans in the dining room or hats while inside. We only push the elevator button for our floor and always wash our hands after using the bathroom. ;) [/font]

[/QUOTE]

Can I cruise with you? And like 1,000 or so of your clones? I try to be polite and considerate, it seems that I'm not always cruising with 'like minded' people

[font=Comic Sans MS]Nikki........................heck yes, and today we booked the Golden Princess for April 2007, is 641 days enough time for you?[/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS]You will/should be pleasantly surprised when you sail the Panama Canal.......;) [/font]

[quote name='catmand'][font=Comic Sans MS]Nikki........................heck yes, and today we booked the Golden Princess for April 2007, is 641 days enough time for you?[/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS]You will/should be pleasantly surprised when you sail the Panama Canal.......;) [/font][/QUOTE]

Hehehehehee...MAYBE...will have to see how empty our pockets are after this one :) Maybe taking a cruise with the whole family in 2008 in celebration of my mom's birthday who will be 65 that year.

Archived