Another Allure Review ~ 9/22/2013

flyawayca

My husband purchased the soda package for $52.33 (price billed to our SeaPass after tips).

We both thought it was well worth it.

We bought the package after boarding the ship and walking by and seeing the cups they had set out in Central Park. I loved the cup they give with it, very cool looking.

The cups have a little chip in the bottom which activates the Coca Cola machines you find around the ship (in the Windjammer, Wipe Out Cafe, and by Sorrento's).

I think a machine should be located on the Boardwalk as well. I was disappointed one was not. They also do not have the machines on Labadee so I wouldn't bother bringing the cup with you onto the island.

The only downfall is you have to have the cup to use the machines. You do get a sticker on your SeaPass card you can use to get regular sodas from any bar on the ship if you don't want to carry the cup around all the time. You just won't get all the fancy flavors.

777be426-09f0-488b-8d83-dd6047984c59.jpg

Nice review. A buddy of mine told me that he used the refillable soda mug for ice cream sodas. He filled it half way with ice cream then topped it off with soda. He started a trend on the ship after that.

One question. Your photos are fantastic. What camera/lens did you use??

Thank you so much for your detailed cruise review of the Allure. We are doing a B2B in January and after reading your reviews I feel like I already know the ship and what it has to offer. Thanks again the review and pics are absolutely great.

You're welcome. Thanks for reading :) Enjoy your B2B!

Nice review. A buddy of mine told me that he used the refillable soda mug for ice cream sodas. He filled it half way with ice cream then topped it off with soda. He started a trend on the ship after that.

One question. Your photos are fantastic. What camera/lens did you use??

That's exactly what my husband wanted to do but the Wipe Out Cafe only ever had chocolate and strawberry ice cream. Why no vanilla? Probably better for me though because I would have been making rootbeer floats all day long :)

And thank you. I think so far most if not all of the pictures were taken with my Point and Shoot. A Canon PowerShot Elph 100HS.

For my excursions I also used my Canon DSLR Rebel XSi.

I wanted to use my DSLR for photos around the ship, just never had the time. Or I was being lazy :o

We chose to book a RCI excursion in Jamaica.

I have booked private excursion on islands, I have booked ship sponsored excursions. Just depends on how much time I have to plan something, the island itself, and the prices.

This excursion wasn't badly priced. Plus I didn't have much time to research what it would take to go on our own.

Now I have heard RCI is cancelling a majority of their excursions. I have no idea if this is now one they are no longer doing. But if it is, I wouldn't be surprised. On this excursion there was only 4 of us signed up. And all 4 of us were my sailing group. Nobody else signed up for our time slot. The shuttle that transferred us here also was transferring the Jamaican Tubing excursion. How many in that group? Also only 4. Maybe this is why they are cancelling them.

If they did cancel all future Swamp Safari excursions it is not because it isn't any good. We had a great time here! I highly recommend it! Whether you go on your own, or through the ship, give this place a try!

Here is the sign that greats you when you arrive:

d3eabe46-8c1d-4505-90f1-33f85f8bc671.jpg

Edited by flyawayca

If the sign doesn't scare you away then be prepared to see all sorts of animals. They have everything here!

This is an animal sanctuary. And it seems they have all sorts of animals. They all seemed to be very well taken care of.

First thing you are taken into an aviary. It was huge! The birds are able to fly and run around. You walk a trail through here and your guide will point out the different bird species and you even get a chance to feed them.

e63e614b-23ea-49a5-8b02-3d3f511d90ae.jpg

a156a53c-edb3-41b6-b892-566fdaf85a7e.jpg

d6f96f6f-7361-4492-8bbd-63bc1c0f97de.jpg

3bbe9c6c-f88b-4d83-bbfc-3b9e76d2a6b2.jpg

58713825-1988-4c64-a2f6-350d060ce3a0.jpg

Edited by flyawayca

After the aviary you head over to where they keep the largest group of crocodiles to meet the crocodile handler. They feed a few of the crocodiles while you are here and start to tell you about them.

This guy is crazy! He just walks into the enclosure and all the crocodiles just immediately run towards him. I guess they know he brings food.

8c3a4d6d-f38b-4d50-83eb-721a360a74c3.jpg

c0ba82b3-930b-4429-897b-394ef710aa68.jpg

0aec3f0c-e688-4b3c-82ac-1d1dd08582e3.jpg

5be352fd-d421-4bd0-aa23-976bd973dd5c.jpg

Edited by flyawayca

After your first introduction to the crocodiles they take you around to show you some of the other animals they have on the property. My pictures will only be a very small selection of what you will actually end up seeing. They have a lot!

96ba4851-11c1-442a-9ce9-7a04daf65e51.jpg

10441976-2c3f-44c3-b9f4-bb987d353c25.jpg

9a6df47e-020c-44f8-8bb4-8662a50b49f6.jpg

6da70438-4727-4af5-9439-55a9934b8eef.jpg

And my personal favorite... the White-Nosed Coati

ee71817b-9154-4ec3-83ec-216f0e2db4b8.jpg

06bb94c7-7119-4894-b869-9784135111c3.jpg

Edited by flyawayca

Your guide will take you over to another enclosure to introduce you to the oldest crocodile they have and his companion.

When we got there we couldn't see him. He was in the water. But after our guide did her call to them they came out instantly. It was pretty cool to see from completely still water to them coming out and running towards the fence. Don't worry, it wasn't scary, I didn't feel concerned being on the outside of the enclosure.

d9c174e5-030c-40d2-b25f-bb54469d7da7.jpg

2888131c-140b-4c61-bb53-0dd3ace118fe.jpg

45b2e5f5-9107-44da-8d57-e43885377fea.jpg

5406dec1-9f35-4e17-ad04-923ab0890abf.jpg

Edited by flyawayca

I don't know about you guys, but I've seen Alligators before. Crocodiles are so much scarier looking... Something about those pointed snouts and their teeth showing even when their mouths are closed...

After taking a look at the oldest crocodile on the property you get to see crocodiles in the enclosure next to it jump for food. Our guide tied some meat to a pole and held it over two crocodiles. This gave us a chance to get video of how they move and jump.

After that you get taken over to see another enclosure of crocodiles which includes the largest on the property.

c9ed74ed-7ad1-407c-b735-d241e9a38c56.jpg

0b155eb5-3112-4ff2-a3fb-1ccfb523d7e1.jpg

cbc7c2ee-6baf-420b-9701-20789f8acf99.jpg

Edited by flyawayca

Then you get taken to the room with the baby crocodiles.

6eb01fdd-ec45-4204-a0b1-67ceabefcb94.jpg

This is also where you get to decide if you want to hold a juvenile crocodile.

It is free to hold the crocodile. But you are not allowed to take pictures. If you want a picture of yourself holding a crocodile they have someone come over and take pictures. The pictures are put on a CD.

I'm still confused if it is $20 per picture, or $20 for the CD of pictures. We ended up getting the CD for $20 but that may have been in error. Either way it is still cheaper than what the swimming with dolphin places charge!

This guy will come by and you have the chance to hold a boa as well:

f564ddb2-0852-4d03-95ef-9724b6d781b4.jpg

Edited by flyawayca

Anyone a James Bond fan?

The crocodile scene from Live and Let Die (1973) was filmed here.

The film crew was in Jamaica and they drove by the property. After seeing the Trespassers Will Be Eaten sign they were intrigued and stopped at the property. After meeting with the owner of the property, an American named Ross Kananga, they agreed to film a scene on his property.

Do you remember the scene where he jumps across the crocodiles to escape? That stunt was actually performed by Ross Kananga for the movie by the crocodiles kept on the property.

If you don't remember the movie, or have never seen it, they show you the scene during your tour. They also show you some of the outtakes. You even get a chance to see where the scene was filmed.

088a61d7-636c-4102-82b3-80a87b873844.jpg

Edited by flyawayca

A few random things from the excursion...

Here is our guide showing us a crocodile skull.

0cb116f2-c91c-48fc-9e74-2344e2f22968.jpg

This is a wild lizard. They had these everywhere. This particular one seemed to like my husband and followed him around for awhile.

29eb69e7-6ed5-4480-824e-bb0460812616.jpg

And this is the sign when you exit the property:

6fa5222d-1ddf-4bb7-ae4b-c64b518a893e.jpg

Edited by flyawayca

Directly outside of the Swamp Safari they have a place to get food and a bar.

This looks to be a place the ship uses as a stopping point for transferring excursions. I saw some people being provided food.

If you come here you can still buy food on your own. You don't have to be on one of the ship excursions that provide food. Also, you can stop at the bar before your excursion starts and buy water. It is hot here!

We bought a jerk chicken meal here after our excursion while we waited for our driver. It cost $5 and tasted good. We might have ate some of it before I took this picture..

1fbd552a-b2b6-4825-991c-82ebe9513a72.jpg

Edited by flyawayca

The Falmouth, Jamaica port is my favorite port out of all. I'm talking about the port specifically, not excursions offered or things like that.

It's big, it is clean, it has decent bathrooms, and lots and lots of shopping.

This was my second time to this port and I was looking forward to it. I love the woodwork Jamaicans do. They are so good at it. The prices are right too. And they aren't as in your face as what you experience in Haiti.

My husband bought a coconut to drink. It was delicious. I just wish it was cold. They don't keep it in a cooler or anything. But the guy cuts it open right in front of you:

2ad0dcf3-bd8f-4308-b08a-4d773d69705f.jpg

Another thing that is delicious... these Tastie Patties... yum!

06bc196a-a1e7-4de2-8764-adf6cc3cdc8b.jpg

Don't forget to pick up your Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee while you are here! Or buy it as a gift for someone else :D

Edited by flyawayca

On one of our days at sea my husband and I were sitting in the Windjammer getting lunch. Luckily we were sitting at a table by the window Starboard side.

While sitting we heard over the intercom "Oscar, Oscar, Oscar, Starboard side". Then a command for all crew to watch Starboard side. Because of Cruise Critic I knew that was code for Man Overboard.

All of the Windjammer staff made their way over towards our table and started looking out the window. A minute later we saw the red smoke flare and then I took this picture:

a7c07fac-ce07-4767-96e1-d1872177e163.jpg

Then, slowly, we noticed the Allure starting to make a U-turn.

This is what could be seen from my seat Starboard side:

481f0b4c-6bf9-409c-bc45-a275cc6e65ee.jpg

Everyone was trying to figure out what was going on.

The captain then reported that they received notice of a possible man overboard and they were going back to check.

After quite awhile we were back to where the smoke flare was and crew were looking for the possible man overboard. Shortly after sitting completely stopped in the water they sent out the rescue vessel.

51effb19-bc31-4648-b25d-909c2b1d546c.jpg

On a side note - while completely stopped in the water this is the only time I could feel the ship rocking the entire cruise.

Okay, rescue vessel was sent out. They think they see something in the water and they approach.

dd1d2326-b446-4e3b-8085-09fff8853f20.jpg

What was it they found?? A tree trunk. With a bird on it.

Turns out we did not have a man overboard situation.

I do understand how a passenger could think they saw a person. I also understand why the ship had to go back for the possible overboard. But I do wonder how much this ended up costing RCI.

Some trivia - This ship uses 1 gallon of gas for every 38 feet it travels. And it refills once every two weeks in St. Marteen.

At any rate, it gave the comedians on the cruise some good material :D I'm just happy it wasn't an actual person.

I think it is great that the ship turned around and made 100% sure it was not a person overboard. What Great Service.. It really could have turned out different.. Glad people can have fun with it and joke about it since it was not someone hurt...

Clarea posted a link which shows the sign with requirements. Age doesn't really have a factor, it comes down to height and weight. Hopefully he can try it :)

Thanks for this - might have to slightly stretch him, as hes just slightly below 52inches at the min - heres hoping for a growth spurt between now & March:D

Thanks for the review. We were on this sailing and you have helped with the withdrawal symptoms. On the other hand, it makes me wish we were still on board. The only thing you cannot convey is the HEAT! It was a great trip. We have a short New Year's cruise booked. Maybe we will survive until then.

We are going on Allure the end of October. I have booked Giovanni's grill for lunch on the first day right after boarding. I am going with a group of people and they are planning on going for dinner on another night. My question is (Finally, I know) is there another place you (or anyone else) could suggest to go for a QUIET lunch. We would rather not do the buffet the first day. Way too crowded. Our last cruise on X Silhouette we ate lunch at an outside/inside type bistro and we were the only ones there. It was so relaxing.

Edited by believer33323

I think it is great that the ship turned around and made 100% sure it was not a person overboard. What Great Service.. It really could have turned out different.. Glad people can have fun with it and joke about it since it was not someone hurt...

Yes, I agree! If it would have been me floating around out there I sure hope someone would have reported it and the crew actually taken it seriously. :)

Sent from my XT1058 using Forums mobile app