wantocruisemore Where is the Belize tour report

jaxfl

LOL, yes and we LOVED it. I WAS waiting to upload photos, but here goes.

We took the Atum Ha/River Wallace Carnival tour. We were very pleased. It started with gathering in the main showroom to get out yellow sticker for our tour. We aired a few minutes and off we went for the first tender. Crossing was about 45 min. But not really rough. We sat and top and were glad we had hats!

Once in Belize there were people with signs directing you to the tour. There were 42 total on our tour. Our tour guide Gus and 2 others who I can't remember names, were our guides. We had about an hour bus ride in a nice air conditioned coach. Along the way they told about Belize and answered some questions. I did not realize Belize used to be British Honduras.

Once at Atum Ha we had time for rest room and purchase water. We took water bottles and lots of mosquito repellant. We wore our battery ones, had on skin so soft and spray with us. We were not bothered at all.

It was warm at the site and Gus gave a wonderful tour. The site was smaller than I expected but I just wanted to climb. The first pyramid we scampered up the front steps. No problems.

The second pyramid had stairs up the right side. These were somewhat winding and steeper, but the view was worth it!

Then headed down, more info, and back on bus to take us to the Black Orchid for lunch.

Lunch was at a open air building. You could get chicken with rice & beans, slaw and plantains. It was really good but I wish the plantains had been crisper. I still cleaned the plate though. DH had the cheeseburger and fries option. He said it was not bad. We both got Belikin beer. It was ok but a little more hoppy than I like. (My favorite beer at home is Yuengling). Total bill for lunch was $22.

Then there were a few tables for shopping. I would have liked to have shopped but did not want to have to deal with packages on the boat.

Then to the boat which was docked there. It was smaller than I expected and did not have any shade. Again we were thankful for our hats and I wore as skimpy as my age and figure would permit in public.

The boat was great when underway with breeze for air conditioning. We say crocodiles, large iguanas, mosquito bats, flowers, and a manatee and dolphin at the end of the River. The manatee was hanging out at the mouth of the River and we could see the nose surfacing. Then all of a sudden we saw a dolphin flip up out of the water. At that point forget the manatee, the dolphin is more exciting. We watched awhile longer and saw him a few more times.

Then we headed back around through choppy water at breakneck speed to the dock. We had over an hour for shopping at the port.

I do recommend this tour, but with the understanding the ruins are only a little better than Tulum. Mosquitos ended up not being a problem but it was hot, 93 degrees when we were there.

Trying to talk DH into booking now for same itinerary next year because I think one DH would really love this tour. When I go back I will probably try a snorkel excursion since I heard from people on the tender it was really good.

Photos to follow later when I upload.

I think lunch is included in some of the tours, but not this one. I was pleased with the food, just seemed a little high for the cheeseburger. I liked the chicken and rice and beans a lot.

I noticed a few did not eat, don't know if they had not expected to pay or if they just didn't like the choices.

I noticed a few did not eat, don't know if they had not expected to pay or if they just didn't like the choices.

Could be they were afraid of MONTAZUMAS (sp) Revenge....:eek::D:D:rolleyes:

That's actually why DH went with a cheeseburger and the beer. Figured it was safer. But I didn't have any problems.

Reminds me of Mexico and the wife. I was eating off the push carts up and down the streets. She went to KFC not going to eat off the carts. She got sick, I was good.:rolleyes:

Archived