I'm cross! Oceania Terms & Conditions

JSA123

I am in the process of booking our first Oceania Cruise - with a lot of help from this website, we have decided upon an Oceania Suite on a Caribbean cruise. After a number of different stories, I have finally been told that 10% is payable on booking and that all of this will be forfeited if the cruise is cancelled inside 120 days of travel. Also, that none of this amount could be credited to a future booking. In Oceania's brochure, it states that 20% is payable on booking and that only £75 will be forfeited in the case of cancellation inside 120 days, and that this amount can be credited towards a future booking.

Does anyone have any experience of Oceania's cancellation policy? And whether their brochure or sales department is correct?

Seems a pretty unprofessional approach to me.

The sales department will be correct....for UK bookings Oceania T&Cs for deposits changed on 1st September this year. Does your brochure predate this?

Not sure - the brochure to which I am referring is the current one on their website.

In fact, I have just received an email from my TA. The deposit is 20% (as per the booking conditions online), not 10% and all of it will be forfeited if cancelled once booked and will not be credited to any future cruise booked (not as per the booking conditions online).

You came into the picture at an odd time, just as the cancellation rules and penalties were being amended.

That said, the deposit requirements for the big Suites, i.e. those above the Penthouse level, have been at a significantly higher level for some time now, as the demand for them is quite strong. You may have been quoted information for a standard cabin.

To add another wrinkle to your particular situation, British passengers are not governed by the same regulations as we are in the United States.

For that reason, we here on this side of the pond are at a distinct disadvantage when it comes to advising you as to particulars.

You came into the picture at an odd time, just as the cancellation rules and penalties were being amended.

That said, the deposit requirements for the big Suites, i.e. those above the Penthouse level, have been at a significantly higher level for some time now, as the demand for them is quite strong. You may have been quoted information for a standard cabin.

To add another wrinkle to your particular situation, British passengers are not governed by the same regulations as we are in the United States.

For that reason, we here on this side of the pond are at a distinct disadvantage when it comes to advising you as to particulars.

I can understand the higher deposit requirement I suppose, I don't really have a problem with 20% but I think it's a little 'unfriendly' to refuse to credit any portion of it to a future booking in the event of cancellation. And I think it's unprofessional to have one set of terms and conditions online which cannot be depended upon, and another 'hidden' set of terms and conditions which apply. Wish I could run my business like that..

Archived