Driving to Charleston morning of cruise - Here's my experience

marybeach

I drove to Charleston the morning of the cruise. After driving through a motocross course of orange barricades as I entered the Port area, I was about the 10th car in one of 3 lines when it stopped. While we waited, an attendant came up to the cars in line and checked the boarding card and passports. They started moving cars at 11 am. We went through a tented area, and porters got my big suitcase from the trunk, which was wonderful. I parked and got on the third shuttle that came by with my rolling carry on. I was asked to go to a small table after the scanner and they briefly looked at my one bottle of wine in my carry on, but didn't check the 6 cans of soft drinks and 2 large cans of energy drinks. They were opening others' 12 packs of soft drinks and looking at each can. After a short line, I was at the check in desk. Within minutes, I was on board and they took my picture with my sign and sail card. I pushed the button in the elevator for my deck and found my cabin (R17, a porthole cabin, and it was larger than my friends' cabins), and the steward greeted me immediately with my name. I asked if I could drop off my carry on, and she said yes. I put my passport and wallet in the digital safe, and headed to explore the ship. My friends got on board shortly after me, as they had stayed overnight in Charleston at a hotel. Our luggage was outside the rooms by 3:00 pm. Boarding was a breeze.

Disembarking was a slower process and the lines were long. It took over an hour to get off the ship when my number was called. The luggage area was organized, but inefficient. I couldn't find a porter available, so I pulled my suitcase and carry on through the lines. The shuttles came in pairs, and one has a trailer hooked to it, and porters load the luggage. You're dropped off at a central area in the garage warehouses, and you take your luggage to your car. Since I was such a high disembark number, there were only a couple of cars in line to exit, and I was on the way home.

I hope this helps with your driving plans.

And, the Fantasy is a great ship. The crew and waitstaff are excellent. Risa is a wonderful CD. For a short getaway, I give a "recommend" after my first Carnival cruise, especially if you're from the south and it's an easy drive!

• 1 month later...