Carnival "Cheers!" All-inclusive Drink Package Questions

Voyager2025

Hello, Im not new to cruising with Carnival but I am recently hearing about the packages offered by the cruise line which include alcohol. I'm specifically interested in the "Cheers!" program, which is 42.95 pp/per day. Ive read about the drink limit, and that every 21+ in each cabin must purchase the package (if one person purchases the package). My questions at this point are;

-Does service drop? Do the bartenders treat you with less promptness and care? (often times with the "Soda" package I was treated a lot different than other guests paying per drink).

-Does the liquor quality drop off? (Typically Carnival's drinks are good quality and i worry that with this package the cruise line does what the resorts do and begin mixing bottom shelf liquor).

-Is the 15 drink limit per day strict? Im in my early 20s and I can put quite a few away in a day.

-Can you purchase additional drinks once the limit is reached?

Thank you for your help!

1) It is actually $49.95 pp/pd now, on almost all ships (there are maybe 2 that are still $42.95)

2) Service/liquor quality - depends on how polite you are, how well you tip imo

3) Yes, it is strict.

4) No, you cannot purchase additional drinks once limit is reached. However, BEFORE you hit 15, you can buy drinks that are not included in the program (beer buckets/tubes, souvenir cups, bottles of wine, drinks over $10) and it won't affect your count. Once you hit 15 though, game over until 6am.

Thank you for your help! I cant believe Im just hearing about this.

-Im always very polite to the bartenders and other staff. What I was referring to is the (sometimes) noticeable attitude change by the bartenders between a guest paying full price and a guest using a soda package.

I have noticed a "look" sometimes from a busy bartender especially when the same kid is coming up for 50th soda in last hour, but never for the Cheers program. They do put a sticker on your S&S card which comes off visit time you get it wet. So most time they don't know you are on Cheers until they run the card. There is a 15% gratuity when you buy the card & they don't add any extra,like when you purchase a drink. But if you expect good service, tip some extra especially on first few drinks & you will see great service especially if you are going back to the same bartenders. Most of them know my name & wife's by the 3rd day, what we drink and rush to get it for us.

I thought the tip was included in the package. I will be on the glory in a couple of weeks and after paying over 500.00 for the package I was not planning on tipping anymore. Do the waiters get a tip for every drink like when you don't use the plan? If not we will tip extra.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

I thought the tip was included in the package. I will be on the glory in a couple of weeks and after paying over 500.00 for the package I was not planning on tipping anymore. Do the waiters get a tip for every drink like when you don't use the plan? If not we will tip extra.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

It's going to cost us $900, almost as much as the cruise. Yikes! But should be worthwhile since we are staying on board and looking to have a very relaxing vacation.

The only ships still at $42 per person are the ones in Euorpe. For all US ports it's $49.95 plus 15% gratuities. So it's like $57 per person per day.

I have confirmed the 15 drink limit and no sales once it's hit. They will tell you when you start to get close. Hubby and I, if we still have much desire to do stuff, like comedy, will switch our last few to Long Island iced teas. That should keep us going till we want to go to bed. You can still get sodas and virgin drinks after you hit 15, unlimited. We will still bring our wine on board, and get wine from steakhouse first night. That can supplement if we need it to as well.

If you are a real big drinker you could buy a bottle of liquor from Bon voyage or room service and mix it yourself with the virgin drinks after you hit your daily limit.

I plan to bring some ones to tip bartenders and waiters we frequent to show our appreciation and insure we get real good service.

Has anyone tried to buy this program on Day 2 for a lower fee due to less days?

I know you can on the Soda Card program.

We leave Saturday and have an open bar party. (booked that before we knew Cheers was available) Just curious. IF we will be charged the same then I will buy it on Saturday. Otherwise may wait until Sunday AM and buy.

Has anyone tried to buy this program on Day 2 for a lower fee due to less days?

I know you can on the Soda Card program.

We leave Saturday and have an open bar party. (booked that before we knew Cheers was available) Just curious. IF we will be charged the same then I will buy it on Saturday. Otherwise may wait until Sunday AM and buy.

This is a good question. I've seen people say they saved money by getting it the second day, but my PVP told me that we would be charged for the entire cruise either way so may as well get it the first day.

I would rather get it the second day because we eat in the steakhouse first night and with all that food it doesn't leave much belly room for booze.

It does cost less because you are not paying sales tax on it on the 2nd day. But as far as I know they do charge for the entire length of the cruise.

I think I have read that you are only charged sales tax on the drinks you get from the bar while in your home port. NOT on the entire package.

Edit: From Carnival FAQ.

Applicable state and local taxes will be charged to the guest folio when this program is used within US waters

Also....Guests must purchase the program for the entire cruise - this program is not offered on a per day basis

BUT also says... For ships sailing from Texas, due to state laws, CHEERS! cannot be purchased on embarkation day but will be available for purchase on the 2nd day of the cruise

We all know different people at Carnival intrepret things in different ways. I just wonder what they will do about the second day purchase of the program. Will they still charge for all days, and if so, will they apply the program to drinks purchased first day without the program. Seems like they would have to???

My PVP is sailing today on a 4 day and she is going to ask about second day purchase. Other wise I will find out how they handle it on the Elation on Saturday.

Edited by BigDfromTN

It's going to cost us $900, almost as much as the cruise. Yikes! But should be worthwhile since we are staying on board and looking to have a very relaxing vacation.

The only ships still at $42 per person are the ones in Euorpe. For all US ports it's $49.95 plus 15% gratuities. So it's like $57 per person per day.

I have confirmed the 15 drink limit and no sales once it's hit. They will tell you when you start to get close. Hubby and I, if we still have much desire to do stuff, like comedy, will switch our last few to Long Island iced teas. That should keep us going till we want to go to bed. You can still get sodas and virgin drinks after you hit 15, unlimited. We will still bring our wine on board, and get wine from steakhouse first night. That can supplement if we need it to as well.

If you are a real big drinker you could buy a bottle of liquor from Bon voyage or room service and mix it yourself with the virgin drinks after you hit your daily limit.

I plan to bring some ones to tip bartenders and waiters we frequent to show our appreciation and insure we get real good service.

Barb, I LOVE your attitude!:D

Between the package & a Bon Voyage bottle (or 2!), OP should be covered nicely!:p

Here's another question on this. SDo they charge you for the last day of the cruise even though we are usually off the ship by 8 or 8:30am? that would suck because I have no plans to drink $50 worth of alcohol before 7am!

They're not really charging you for specific hourly usage, if it's a 7 day/night cruise, you'll pay for 7 days.

Here's another question on this. SDo they charge you for the last day of the cruise even though we are usually off the ship by 8 or 8:30am? that would suck because I have no plans to drink $50 worth of alcohol before 7am!

No you are not charged for the last day... If you go on a 7 day cruise, it is usually Sunday-Sunday which is 8 days theoretically, but since you are off the ship by 8:30am *and* none of the bars are open to even get a soda, you aren't charged for that day.

I have a question... Lets just say the 15 drink limit was used... can we then get FREE soda for the rest of the night until the program starts again at 6AM the next morning?

Thanks

You are allowed unlimited virgin drinks and sodas, both before and after you hit your 15 drink limit.

If you are on a 5 day cruise you will pay the $57/person per day price at $285. If you decide to wait until the second day of your cruise you will pay the $57/person per day price at $228 (4 day price). Same goes for longer cruise vacations buying on the second day. You have to purchase by the 2nd day at the latest.

Hope this helps.

Edited by 5Hawkeyes

Hello, Im not new to cruising with Carnival but I am recently hearing about the packages offered by the cruise line which include alcohol. I'm specifically interested in the "Cheers!" program, which is 42.95 pp/per day. Ive read about the drink limit, and that every 21+ in each cabin must purchase the package (if one person purchases the package). My questions at this point are;

-Does service drop? Do the bartenders treat you with less promptness and care? (often times with the "Soda" package I was treated a lot different than other guests paying per drink). No, they don't know that you're any different than anyone else. It's all going on your S&S card, it's just that accounting will charge yours to the Cheers program.

-Does the liquor quality drop off? (Typically Carnival's drinks are good quality and i worry that with this package the cruise line does what the resorts do and begin mixing bottom shelf liquor). No, there's no difference -- unless you order top shelf, and then if it goes over a certain $ amount you are charged the difference

-Is the 15 drink limit per day strict? Im in my early 20s and I can put quite a few away in a day. Yes . 15 in a 24 hour period (6 AM to 6 AM). You have to wait 10 minutes between drinks, and you can be cut off

-Can you purchase additional drinks once the limit is reached?Yes...anything over the Cheers limit will go on your S&S card

Thank you for your help!

Have fun - drink up!!

Well, Ho Ho's experience is certainly different than ours when doing Cheers on The Valor earlier this year.

Originally Posted by Voyager2025

-Does service drop? Do the bartenders treat you with less promptness and care? (often times with the "Soda" package I was treated a lot different than other guests paying per drink). No, they don't know that you're any different than anyone else. It's all going on your S&S card, it's just that accounting will charge yours to the Cheers program.

-Does the liquor quality drop off? (Typically Carnival's drinks are good quality and i worry that with this package the cruise line does what the resorts do and begin mixing bottom shelf liquor). No, there's no difference -- unless you order top shelf, and then if it goes over a certain $ amount you are charged the difference

-Is the 15 drink limit per day strict? Im in my early 20s and I can put quite a few away in a day. Yes . 15 in a 24 hour period (6 AM to 6 AM). You have to wait 10 minutes between drinks, and you can be cut off

-Can you purchase additional drinks once the limit is reached?Yes...anything over the Cheers limit will go on your S&S card

Our experience was:

Of course they know that you are on Cheers. On every drink receipt it prints CHEERS! dsct 100% $0.00. To show your discount. The register also tells the bartender which drink # you are on.

If the drink is more than Cheers covers, you do not pay the difference, but you get a 25% discount off the full price. This still counts as one of your 15 drinks.

You only have to wait 5 minutes between drinks.

You can not purchase additional drinks at any price over the 15 drink limit, but you can have unlimited soda or virgin drinks.

gary

Well, Ho Ho's experience is certainly different than ours when doing Cheers on The Valor earlier this year.

Originally Posted by Voyager2025

Our experience was:

Of course they know that you are on Cheers. On every drink receipt it prints CHEERS! dsct 100% $0.00. To show your discount. The register also tells the bartender which drink # you are on.

If the drink is more than Cheers covers, you do not pay the difference, but you get a 25% discount off the full price. This still counts as one of your 15 drinks.

You only have to wait 5 minutes between drinks.

You can not purchase additional drinks at any price over the 15 drink limit, but you can have unlimited soda or virgin drinks.

gary

Gary my experience on the Breeze was exactly like yours, as far as the quality of the drink and service being different because you are on the cheers program. I did not notice that at all and I agree they do not know you are on the cheers program until you give them your s&s card which most bars if busy made our drinks first then asked for my card except at the lido deck when a server comes to you then they take your order and want the card at the same time

Sent from my HTCONE using Forums mobile app