Birth Certificate Question

sscott

I am scheduled to leave out of New Orleans on Monday and only have a small birth certificate (not laminated). Will this be a valid enugh to use? I have used this certificate to travel to the Caymen Islands with this a few years ago. Thanks for you responses.

It depends. Is it a certified copy? Does it have araised seal or is it on special paper with a watermark? It's hard to say unless you tell us more about it? Do you know where you got it? Did it come directly from your state or county? A hospital issued BC is not valid. Our old BC's have the raised seal but the newly issued certified copies that we just got are on watermarked paper and have a raised border.

If it's not a certified copy, you have one day to get a certified copy from the county courthouse (of birth) or state dept of vital statistics. The cruiseline is subject to a rather large fine for not insuring compliance with this federal requirement.

Isn't this a bit late to be asking? lol

Things have changed big time since 9-11. Didn't your travel agent go over this with you? Begining in January, you will need a passport.

Travel documentation a few years ago was different from now..... If you don't have a Passport.... Hopefully it is a 'certified' copy, like Heidi said with either the older raised seal, or the newer watermarked security paper. If not, you may need to make a quick run to the county you were born in and get one.

From Carnival's website: http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/EMB_travel_document.aspx

United States citizens need at least one of the following:

- A passport (valid or expired for less than 10 years).

- An original birth certificate and photo I.D.

- A state-issued certified copy of a birth certificate from the Department of Health and Vital Statistics and photo I.D.

- Original naturalization papers.

Good Luck.

Archived