Confusion about Rio Taxis

BlackJack2

I have read that there are three different types of taxis in Rio. Can someone explain the differences to me and the pricing for each type of taxi. Are all safe? How much is a taxi from GIG to the cruise port and how long is the ride? Thanks in advance for the information.

I know about two types of taxis in Rio de Janeiro:

- Regular ones: those with the default color (yellow with blue stripes on the sides). They operate by taximeter (R$ 4,70 + 1,70 per km (1) or + 2,04 (2 by night and sunday))

- Special ones (cooperatives): Special taxis are organized into cooperatives and vehicles should be of medium size, with minimum output of 80 hp. The painting is regular only between the taxis froom the same coop. These rates are, on average, 80% higher than the regular ones,due to the fact of taxis operating in this category can not pick up passengers along the way, but only through radio call. After the race the taxi to return to the empty spot.

You should also check the free apps for Iphone and Android (99taxis is very good) where you can call a taxi by your smartphone and they give you the name of the driver, the car model and the plate.

I prefer the coop ones cause they have gps, you order by phone and you know who is picking you is from a company... the app is also really good.

I know about two types of taxis in Rio de Janeiro:

- Regular ones: those with the default color (yellow with blue stripes on the sides). They operate by taximeter (R$ 4,70 + 1,70 per km (1) or + 2,04 (2 by night and sunday))

- Special ones (cooperatives): Special taxis are organized into cooperatives and vehicles should be of medium size, with minimum output of 80 hp. The painting is regular only between the taxis froom the same coop. These rates are, on average, 80% higher than the regular ones,due to the fact of taxis operating in this category can not pick up passengers along the way, but only through radio call. After the race the taxi to return to the empty spot.

You should also check the free apps for Iphone and Android (99taxis is very good) where you can call a taxi by your smartphone and they give you the name of the driver, the car model and the plate.

I prefer the coop ones cause they have gps, you order by phone and you know who is picking you is from a company... the app is also really good.

That information is incorrect. My information comes from personal experience in Rio, guided by a friend who is himself a taxi driver with one of the cooperatives.

There are, from the airport, pre-paid taxis. You will be solicited for them by a number of young women as you move through the international terminal for passport control, baggage claim, customs and out into the terminal. One advantage is that you can pre-pay with a credit card, but prices are considerably higher than the regular yellow taxis ( perhaps R$90 from the airport to, say, Copacabana, instead of R$50 or so, depending on time and traffic, with the regular yellow taxis.) Some opine that these taxis are safer or cleaner or any number of other claims, but IMO, they are simply more expensive.

Cooperatives are simply organizations of the regular yellow taxis. Each cooperative has its own neighborhood taxi stand which serves as its base, such as Larangeiras. They are distinguished by the name and phone number of the cooperative painted on the rear fender. They are therefore known, regulated and trustworthy entities.

Various taxis are able tp be summoned by phone, by your hotel (often at a higher price), or by your requesting the card of a driver that has given you good service. I have found most drivers to be hardworking family men simply interested in giving honest, comfortable and direct service to customers.

That information is incorrect. My information comes from personal experience in Rio, guided by a friend who is himself a taxi driver with one of the cooperatives.

There are, from the airport, pre-paid taxis. You will be solicited for them by a number of young women as you move through the international terminal for passport control, baggage claim, customs and out into the terminal. One advantage is that you can pre-pay with a credit card, but prices are considerably higher than the regular yellow taxis ( perhaps R$90 from the airport to, say, Copacabana, instead of R$50 or so, depending on time and traffic, with the regular yellow taxis.) Some opine that these taxis are safer or cleaner or any number of other claims, but IMO, they are simply more expensive.

Cooperatives are simply organizations of the regular yellow taxis. Each cooperative has its own neighborhood taxi stand which serves as its base, such as Larangeiras. They are distinguished by the name and phone number of the cooperative painted on the rear fender. They are therefore known, regulated and trustworthy entities.

Various taxis are able tp be summoned by phone, by your hotel (often at a higher price), or by your requesting the card of a driver that has given you good service. I have found most drivers to be hardworking family men simply interested in giving honest, comfortable and direct service to customers.

so...would you find the reg yellow taxis outside the airport or phone only? thanks..

VidaNaPraia, respect is good ;)

I answered based on what I read on Rio official website (STMR)

http://www.rio.rj.gov.br/web/smtr/exibeconteudo?article-id=119756

"Os táxis especiais são organizados em cooperativas e devem ser veículos de porte médio, com potência mínima de 80hp. Só há padronização de pintura entre os táxis de uma mesma cooperativa."

http://www.rio.rj.gov.br/web/smtr/exibeconteudo?article-id=1776544

As you can see (sorry about the info in portuguese but if you live in Salvador you will be able to read it) all the info is on their website, all I did was translate it.

I've been to Rio a thousand times (I live in São Paulo, 40 min from there by plane) and as a brazilian I don't care on taking a regular yellow one... you have to agree with me that the coop ones (or those with telephone, gps service)are safer.

The prices are also correct.

There's nothing incorrect about the free apps you can use to order taxis (this service is only available in SP and RJ). It's very easy and safe (always use it!)

Edited by msclover

OP, I wish I could help you with the price of the set cab fare from GIG to the port so you could compare it to the cruise line transfer. Did you do an archives search here or on Trip Advisor? Or just Google it. When we landed at GIG in Mar 2012, as soon as we cleared immigration and customs, we went down a ramp and ended up right at the taxi booths manned by women touting their fares. The going rate to Ipanema was 99 BRL, but once we started talking to them, we learned the rate was negotiable. We were happy to take 89 BRL and go. That sort of fixed ride is considered "safe." I would think the ride to the cruise port would be more/less the same as to Ipanema. If you go out to the curb and get a taxi, the rate is substantially less, maybe by half. But I don't pretend to know how to select a safe vs risky taxi at that point.

But I don't pretend to know how to select a safe vs risky taxi at that point.

You don't have to "select" anything. Simply avoid anyone trying to hustle you (which a yellow taxi with painted ID, waiting at the curb, is not).

Edited by VidaNaPraia

We'll be going straight to the ship from GIG. How do I ask the driver to be taken there? TIA

Boulders!

The port of Rio is called PIER MAUA! Just ask the driver to take you to Pier Maua and he will know where to take you!

Pier Mauá S/A

Avenida Rodrigues Alves, 10

Praça Mauá - Rio de Janeiro - RJ

CEP 20081-250

+ 55 21 3195-8000 / 2516-2618

+ 55 21 7871-8782

contato@piermaua.com.br

Enjoy your trip!

We'll be going straight to the ship from GIG. How do I ask the driver to be taken there? TIA

The location is actually called PRACA MAUA. Write it down to show the driver (or pronounce it PRAH-sah MA-oo-ah). Most drivers understand the word " cruise" anyway, since it sounds much the same in Portuguese.

• 4 weeks later...

The ordinary yellow cabs that use the meter (and all are required to) have 2 meter settings. Meter setting #1 is for daytime. # 2 is for night (after 9 I think) and for Sundays, holidays and all days in December. Meter setting #2 is about 18% more than #1. The meters in Rio cabs don't cost a lot when the cab is waiting like stopped in traffic. That keeps the tariff uniform in most traffic conditions. Drivers are entitled to charge R$1 or 2 per large luggage. Many have limited trunk space because they contain tanks for gas (not petrol). If you have lots of luggage look for a larger cab , van or station wagon style. Many are like that.

Yellow cabs are all licensed, especially those operating outside the airport terminal doors (not including the gypsy hustlers who approach passengers inside the terminal - never accept them). I never had a bad experience cabbing home from GIG in the 12 years I lived there. The prepaid cars don't offer sufficient benefit to warrant paying the premium they charge.

I agree it will cost about R$35-40 and take about 20-25 minutes to go from GIG to Praca Maua. Tipping is neither expected or required.

Edited by pmacher61

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Are there usually yellow metered cabs outside hotels such as the Sheraton in Leblon and the Windsor Atlantica.

I believe that, technically, the Sheraton is actually situated in Sao Conrado, adjacent to Leblon. It's on a rather isolated section of the main drag (Av Niemayer) and there will usually be cabs readily available, either waiting in the parking lot outside the front entrance or hailed by a doorman from those passing on Niemayer. The waiting ones may be premium cabs that will charge higher rates. The Sheraton also has a free bus that makes frequent runs into the zona sul strip ( Leblon Ipanema Copacabana, Leme).

The Windsor is located on the strip (Av Atlantica) so it is very easy to hail a cab day or night. Cabs in Rio are safe, plentiful, and relatively inexpensive (with the R$ at 2.35 to the USD).

Edited by pmacher61

If you take the metered taxi, say Praça (pronounced prassa) Maua, and say cruseiro (cruzeiro) so the driver knows you want the cruise ship terminal, not just the praça, and not wanting to take the commuter ferry over to Nitteroi. Only use metered taxis waiting outside the airport terminal. There should be a dispatcher there assigning you to a taxi and saying what the fare will be (in Reais-- pronounced Hee-eyes; singular is Hee-all).

The flat rate taxis (pre-paid at the time of booking at the airport) can be a bit easier to deal with, especially in paying, and you won't have to worry about the driver not using a meter (rarely happens, but it happens). I've normally used them only when arriving very late at night, but speaking Portuguese helps when dealing with metered taxis. Once one is in Rio and going to different sites, or going from a hotel to the port or airport, metered taxis are what one deals with, unless taking uses and Metro. No big deal. If someone is going from GIG to a hotel, many hotels have arrangements with private driver services, but the rates I've seen have been higher than even the flat-rate radio taxis.

The decision to fly to Rio the day your cruise departs carries its own risks (most people posting here strongly discourage it), so you may want to just take the easiest method to get to the port, even if it costs a bit more (especially if one isn't otherwise changing money at the airport). Your cruise company isn't offering transfers or helpful advice? They won't have anyone stationed at the airport?

Edited by Fattony

The Sheraton Leblon web site states that a yellow cab with a "taximeter" costs $45 USD from GIG to the Sheraton. Is this correct? I thought I saw a post in another thread state that the fare in a yellow metered cab should be no more than $60 Reals.

The "$" symbol is used for the Brazilian real as well as the US dollar. Make sure which was being referred to in any information you saw.

From GIG to Ipanema should be about R$60 in moderate traffic, iirc. The Sheraton is quite a bit beyond that, so R$90 seems reasonable.

The "$" symbol is used for the Brazilian real as well as the US dollar. Make sure which was being referred to in any information you saw.

From GIG to Ipanema should be about R$60 in moderate traffic, iirc. The Sheraton is quite a bit beyond that, so R$90 seems reasonable.

As noted, $ alone means USD. R$ together means Reais (singular is Real).

The Sheraton in Leblon/Sao Conrado is only about R$5-10 by cab fare past Ipanema.