Any current Norwegian OBC deals similar to HSN? Or big sales coming up?

mikeerdas

Are there any current Norwegian OBC deals similar to the HSN $100 OBC for booking a cruise? Took advantage of that for a cruise last May.

I say "similar" because I'm typically underwhelmed by "Up to X dollars of OBC" offers. With the typical 7 night, Inside Stateroom cruises we tend to take, the OBC may only be $25 to $50 per cabin.

Can't get the Norwegian Credit Card OBC for some time because my wife and I both had the cards, redeemed the OBC, then cancelled them this July. And so likely wouldn't be able to re-apply and receive the sign-up bonus again for another year or so.

Or are there any big sales coming up? $50/pp off the cabin fare kinda sort of equals $100 total OBC--if we set that savings aside.

Thanks. Checked it and see that bonus OBC for booking an Inside Stateroom for any 6+ day cruise is only $25.

Would you recommend checking the promo page daily or weekly to see if anything better pops up?

I'll also say that CruiseTours are of no value to us because we often get hotel and airfare free through various loyalty point and mile programs. So any discounts on CruiseTours or cruise-related airfare packages aren't of interest.

If you book the Norwegian Getaway for Summer 2014 you can get $125 OBC for an inside with the current promotion, plus there's a Latitudes offer and some resident offers for those as well (about $20 off the fare it seems). Booking a Latitudes offer also gets you double credits if you're working towards Latitudes status.

As far as how often to check... the current offer runs until October 13th.

If you book the Norwegian Getaway for Summer 2014 you can get $125 OBC for an inside with the current promotion, plus there's a Latitudes offer and some resident offers for those as well (about $20 off the fare it seems). Booking a Latitudes offer also gets you double credits if you're working towards Latitudes status.

As far as how often to check... the current offer runs until October 13th.

Thanks NCLGuy. Could be very helpful to some folks out there. We're looking for more general deals. Typically travel in Fall or Spring--less crowds and lower prices. And looking at a few Eastern Mediterranean sailings.

We also typically book by itinerary (most interesting combination of ports to explore), so not pursuing status on any given cruise line.

I checked prices directly with NCL vs. a trusted vendor I already shop with for same the cabin class, same sailing. And the price was $200 per person lower ($400 total lower, double-occupancy) than booking direct. Not allowed to say who the vendor is based on Cruise Critic rules, but wow. Didn't realize the price spread could be that wide.

I think it's RCI who evidently never discounts their cabin fares. So maybe with RCI it makes the most sense to book direct.

Is what I'm seeing on price with NCL directly vs. another, very (to me) trusted vendor typical with NCL?

Is what I'm seeing on price with NCL directly vs. another, very (to me) trusted vendor typical with NCL?

In my experience, yes. I can get pretty much 10% minimum off (OBC included) any NCL shelf price just by asking my TA so my motivation of booking direct is quite non-existent at the moment - my experiences with NCL PCCs haven't been that great either.

The problem I had on NCL was that it was charging $800pp - for each of the 3 of us. Are they not discounting the 3rd & 4th passengers anymore? If I tried a booking with just 2 of us, it was $1600 plus taxes, etc. If that's what they're doing now, we will cruise with other lines even if NCL is our favorite.

The problem I had on NCL was that it was charging $800pp - for each of the 3 of us. Are they not discounting the 3rd & 4th passengers anymore? If I tried a booking with just 2 of us, it was $1600 plus taxes, etc. If that's what they're doing now, we will cruise with other lines even if NCL is our favorite.

What date and itinerary are you looking at?

If you are booking very close to sailing date, or for a very popular sailing, and the ship is nearly at capacity already, they will jack up the rate for 3rd and 4th passenger in the room.

If this is not the case, I suspect there is a glitch in the system.

;)

What date and itinerary are you looking at?

If you are booking very close to sailing date, or for a very popular sailing, and the ship is nearly at capacity already, they will jack up the rate for 3rd and 4th passenger in the room.

If this is not the case, I suspect there is a glitch in the system.

;)

I've tried it on a couple of sailings, but I'm having our TA check it out tomorrow. It will determine if we sail or not.

I think there is a glitch in the new website they have. I just checked and as you said there is no discount for the 3rd person.

However.....

If you go to their old site: http://www5.ncl.com/ it DOES show a discount for the 3rd person!

Harriet

They changed their website so now when you look for 4 people they divide the price for the 4 people evenly instead of showing you a 3rd/4th person rate. But usually when you look for 2 it is less pp than when you look for 4, so not sure why that happened, unless as other poster had said it is close to sail date and near capacity.

sent from my Samsung galaxy s3

They changed their website so now when you look for 4 people they divide the price for the 4 people evenly instead of showing you a 3rd/4th person rate. But usually when you look for 2 it is less pp than when you look for 4, so not sure why that happened, unless as other poster had said it is close to sail date and near capacity.

sent from my Samsung galaxy s3

Yep, you are correct, I just noticed that.

Everyone, ignore my previous post....it won't let me edit it.

Harriet

Regarding the pricing for third/fourth passengers, let's see if we can make this more clear. When booking the Gem 9-day sailing on 1/29 in a Family Inside for two people, this is what you would get:

NUMBER OF GUESTS

2 guests

DEPARTURE DATES

January 29 - February 07, 2014

Wednesday - Friday

STATEROOM TYPE

Inside

STATEROOM CATEGORY

Family Inside

TOTAL 2 GUESTS $1,578.00

First and second passenger rate on this sailing/category is $789

However, if I change the booking to 3 guests, I get this...

NUMBER OF GUESTS

3 guests

DEPARTURE DATES

January 29 - February 07, 2014

Wednesday - Friday

STATEROOM TYPE

Inside

STATEROOM CATEGORY

Family Inside

TOTAL 3 GUESTS $2,077.00

Third passenger rate is really $499 on this sailing, however if you automatically select "3" as the number of guests on the booking, it will recalculate what you see on the main screen, as it will automatically divide the total by the number of guests. In the end the additional cost for three over two is still only $499.

I sure hope this helps clear up the confusion!

:)

If you can sail this Oct/Nov there is an amazing deal on the 10 and 11 night Southern Caribbean sailings on the Sun. Just paid $369 pp for the 11 nt for an inside GTY. OV start at $449 for that sailing. Both also have OBC.

Oddly, it was cheaper to book 2 cabins of 2 each rather than put all 4 of us in one cabin. The 3rd and 4th guests were actually priced

higher!

I would check with trusted vendors or travel agents for OBC too. We booked an inside stateroom on the Gem in February and received $200 in onboard credit from the travel agent as opposed to the $25 if we'd booked through NCL.

Agree!! This is why we always wind up booking with an on-line cruise TA. We really make out pretty well with OBC and have never had any issues. The only issue would be if we ever needed to cancel, they have a $50 pp cancel fee. Fortunately, we have never had to cancel and the OBC is well worth that small risk.

If you can sail this Oct/Nov there is an amazing deal on the 10 and 11 night Southern Caribbean sailings on the Sun. Just paid $369 pp for the 11 nt for an inside GTY. OV start at $449 for that sailing. Both also have OBC.

Oddly' date=' it was cheaper to book 2 cabins of 2 each rather than put all 4 of us in one cabin. The 3rd and 4th guests were actually priced

higher![/quote']

Actually that is not odd at all if they have a lot of available cabins - there are always the same number of places in lifeboats for each muster station so the cruise lines will use the pricing of "extra persons" to try to steer how and where people would choose to book - if there are a lot of third and fourth persons onboard, cruise line must leave some cabins completely empty in some sections in worst case scenario.

If I do grab the tremendous savings on an inside stateroom via a non-NCL provider (e.g. online TA), what's the likelihood if receiving a pitch to upgrade to a balcony down the road?

When my wife and I cruised the Norwegian Jade to the Greek Isles, we booked directly through NCL. And about a week prior to sailing, we got a phone call from NCL offering to upgrade to a balcony for $300 total (not per person double-occupancy). Best money I've ever spent.

However, on a discounted sailing I'm looking at, a balcony goes for 2X the cost of an inside stateroom. The balcony isn't worth the money to us at double the cost per person vs. an inside.

Is there some way to indicate to the online TA that I might be interested in a balcony upgrade later on? Presuming if an online TA is involved that I wouldn't be receiving upgrade pitch calls directly from NCL.

If none of that happens, should I ask about balcony upgrade costs while checking in on set sail day? How likely is it, presuming the cruise isn't sold out, to be offered to purchase an upgrade from an inside stateroom to a balcony for USD $300 to $500 total on set sail day? Again, decent bargain at those prices. But not, for us, at 2X the cabin cost to purchase up front.

If I do grab the tremendous savings on an inside stateroom via a non-NCL provider (e.g. online TA), what's the likelihood if receiving a pitch to upgrade to a balcony down the road?

When my wife and I cruised the Norwegian Jade to the Greek Isles, we booked directly through NCL. And about a week prior to sailing, we got a phone call from NCL offering to upgrade to a balcony for $300 total (not per person double-occupancy). Best money I've ever spent.

However, on a discounted sailing I'm looking at, a balcony goes for 2X the cost of an inside stateroom. The balcony isn't worth the money to us at double the cost per person vs. an inside.

Is there some way to indicate to the online TA that I might be interested in a balcony upgrade later on? Presuming if an online TA is involved that I wouldn't be receiving upgrade pitch calls directly from NCL.

If none of that happens, should I ask about balcony upgrade costs while checking in on set sail day? How likely is it, presuming the cruise isn't sold out, to be offered to purchase an upgrade from an inside stateroom to a balcony for USD $300 to $500 total on set sail day? Again, decent bargain at those prices. But not, for us, at 2X the cabin cost to purchase up front.

Up sell calls are rare when booking through a TA. That being said if prices drop you can always have your TA call and see if you can get a free upgrade or pay to upgrade. Won't get first pick in cabin choice but that doesn't bother me. You will have to monitor and call your TA though.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

Up sell calls are rare when booking through a TA. That being said if prices drop you can always have your TA call and see if you can get a free upgrade or pay to upgrade. Won't get first pick in cabin choice but that doesn't bother me. You will have to monitor and call your TA though.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

Thanks Kelly.

Archived