Which Island to Tour and which to DIY?

cleobella

We are going to Mykanos, Corfu, Santorini and Katakolon in June. I am wondering which of these islands are easy to DIY and which are better seen with a tour guide? We have limited funds to spend on tours so I want to balance time in port with tour investments. If we just tour one or two places we can spend more money there and just go into town for a couple of ports. Any ideas? I have heard that Santorini can be crowded and it is better to do a tour there to skip the cable line?

We are going to Mykanos, Corfu, Santorini and Katakolon in June. I am wondering which of these islands are easy to DIY and which are better seen with a tour guide? We have limited funds to spend on tours so I want to balance time in port with tour investments. If we just tour one or two places we can spend more money there and just go into town for a couple of ports. Any ideas? I have heard that Santorini can be crowded and it is better to do a tour there to skip the cable line?

I don't know how long you have in each port but would suggest that you can easily DIY in Mykanos - nice to have a stroll around town, lots of narrow winding alleys. Santorini: again, DIY, get a ticket from the office on the harbour which includes the bus to Oiai and return to Fira for the cable car back down (or donkey).

Corfu, again you can DIY if the ship docks near Corfu town.

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from a cruise that went to all of these stops. We DIY in Mykonos, Corfu, and Santorini. Corfu we just took the bus to town and walked around, and we rented ATVs in Mykonos and Santorini. So much fun and great to be flexible on where you wanted to go. In Santorini we had no problem with the cable car up, but we were on the first tender off the ship. We hired a driver in Katakolon who was wonderful - we went to Olympia (where he gave us a cell phone in case we needed to reach him and books to guide us through the ruins), a wonderful vineyard for a tour and tasting, lunch at a local restaurant, some scenic stops at sites and the beach, and back to the ship. We had a shorter day as we docked later so that was the only negative. I would suggest doing a tour there! We used Taxi Katakolon with George, if you're interested: http://www.taxikatakolon.gr/

Enjoy!

Archived