First P & O - Fjords & Northern Lights

Active8

I'm thinking of booking the above cruise X505 for March 2015, as a solo traveller. Has anyone done this cruise? Any advice having never travelled solo or with P&O before, usually travel with friends and on Thomson.

Also new to the forum boards!!

Thanks

Hi Active8 and welcome to Cruise Critic. Whilst I haven't done this cruise - yet (booked for March 2014) I have travelled many times as a solo with P&O and still feel it's one of the best lines for solos. They have coffee meets every sea day as well as a few other events for singles. The crew are among the friendliest too. I would say go for it.

I would suggest club dining on a table for 8 - P&O will seat singles together if asked. Go to the first coffee meet (first sea day morning) if not any more, as you get to meet others travelling alone and the entertainment officers will get to know you. If you are happy joining in with activities like the syndicate quiz etc they are all good ways of meeting others.

Edited by Host Sharon

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to Cruise Critic! :D Lots of info here and on the ports of call sections. Great fun doing your homework before any cruise and you will find everyone very friendly and helpful so if you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask.

It might be a good idea to join the roll call for your cruise (or even start one if one hasn't been started yet). That way you can get to speak on here to others who are planning to be on your cruise. If there are enough of you, you could even arrange a Meet and Greet on board so that you get to say hello in person.

Enjoy your cruise, we absolutely loved the Norwegian fjords when we went at the end of May this year. :)

Good heavens!! Ill have to make sure I book early then!! Some of them were a bit expensive but I suppose i may not get the chance to go again. Best start saving up now!!!

Thanks

Alison

They are indeed expensive but that is Norway for you. We checked out a few independent tours and they were as bad. But as you say, when will we get a chance to go reindeer sledging in the snow and sit round an open fire in a Sami tent listening to their folk songs again :)

Edited by Host Sharon

Exactly - it was the husky sledging & northern lights that caught my eye first....then a lot of the others by the time I'd finished looking!!!! And as I'm travelling on my own, I think I'm more comfortable booking them through P&O but it's good to know they're not massively more expensive.

Host Sharon - do you know if you can pay for trips before you sail? That way I could spread the cost & probably book more :D

And would anyone be able to tell me how I put a countdown on a signature and/or previous cruises...thanks!!!

Alison

Hi Alison,

You can pay for your trips before you go through your cruise personaliser.

I managed to put a countdown on my cruise by using the countdown tool at the top of the forum, but I havn't worked out how to put previous cruises on.

Molly

I am looking at this cruise too,

I also travel alone I am booked on my first ever cruise at Xmas I will see how it goes then hopefully book on if I enjoy it.

I have always wanted to see the northern lights so it's an excuse to go, being it 2015 I have a good few months to pay for it.

Food for thought....

I am looking at this cruise too,

I also travel alone I am booked on my first ever cruise at Xmas I will see how it goes then hopefully book on if I enjoy it.

I have always wanted to see the northern lights so it's an excuse to go, being it 2015 I have a good few months to pay for it.

Food for thought....

That's why I booked 2015 too!! It's quite a bit more with the single passenger supplement!! I'm sure you'll have a good time at Christmas. Cruising can be very addictive :-D

Yes I can imagine, the Xmas one with SS, was nearly double!!! But it's a celebration cruise so I thought what the hell, I don't know if should wait till I get on board and book the northern lights, or book today and if anything happens between now and 2015 I can canx with loss of deposit. I have a hip operation due next year. I also can see the cheap cabins are slowly disappearing...

Decisions decisions.

Hi Alison,

You can pay for your trips before you go through your cruise personaliser.

I managed to put a countdown on my cruise by using the countdown tool at the top of the forum, but I havn't worked out how to put previous cruises on.

Molly

To put previous cruises on just add them to your signature Molly.

Active8 - P&O will send you an email as soon as tours can be booked. You can then book and pay for them as you wish using a credit or debit card. If you have any on board credit you wish to use you have to wait until you are on board however.

Edited by Host Sharon

Yes I can imagine, the Xmas one with SS, was nearly double!!! But it's a celebration cruise so I thought what the hell, I don't know if should wait till I get on board and book the northern lights, or book today and if anything happens between now and 2015 I can canx with loss of deposit. I have a hip operation due next year. I also can see the cheap cabins are slowly disappearing...

Decisions decisions.

Hi Westie983

From newer posts on the board, it looks like P &O are changing Vantage & Getaway fares, so this may sway your decision on when to book??? Though I wasn't too clear on the changes!! I'm hoping I won't be disadvantaged by booking really early....:confused:

To put previous cruises on just add them to your signature Molly.

Active8 - P&O will send you an email as soon as tours can be booked. You can then book and pay for them as you wish using a credit or debit card. If you have any on board credit you wish to use you have to wait until you are on board however.

Thanks Sharon - There are some trips already on my cruise personaliser so will have a go to see if I can actually book any. I don't know whether to wait or do them now - I remember you saying that a lot of yours already had a waiting list but I know that you are going next year.

Alison

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Thinking of booking this cruise, contacted my ta today to ask about changing my Dec 2014 Arcadia over to this one. My husband has always wanted to see the Northern Lights (I know it's all down to luck/nature if we see them) :D

Will let you know if we make the change.

Jo

Hi gojocruise.

Yes I've always wanted to see them too & my friend doesn't really like the cold so took the plunge to travel on my own. Am really looking forward to it & meeting people.

Managed to get some clothing in the sales but still loads to get. Luckily there's lots of time. I'm on the hunt for snow boots :D.

Hope you manage to change your booking without too much trouble :).

Alison