Is there a waiting hall at the NY pier for early (QM2) passengers?

susan1234

Flight arrival at JFK is at around 7:30a.m., and from what I read here the earliest possible check-in time is 11:30. Could we wait somewhere inside the reception/check-in area this early? (There are eight of us and LOTS of luggage!)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Susan1234:

Check this site http://www.nypst.com (New York Passenger Ship Terminal). It may provide the information you need.

When are you going on the QM2? My partner and I are crossing on August 9 and returning on her on the August 27 westbound crossing. Our first time on the QM2 and we are really excited about it!

Cheers!

We were in the same position on our first transatlantic in 1990. It's rather exciting to be there to see the passengers disembarking and collecting their luggage. We enjoyed watching the crew heading into the city and returning with bags of takeaway food as well as seeing the supplies for the galleys being loaded. (Imagine flats and flats of fresh strawberries!)

Although the hall is large the seating is usually minimal and not very comfortable. However, when we disembarked on June 9 I saw a huge number of folding chairs set up so maybe the quantity of seating has improved. There are restrooms and there is a tiny kiosk where you may purchase drinks and snacks.

If the porters won't relieve you of your luggage upon your arrival maybe you could take turns waiting with the luggage and walk to the Intrepid Museum which is next to the dock.

Hey BLUENOSER ...

Am also on the QM2 Crossing on the 9th August. Have met another couple here on CruiseCritic who also are going!

JGR01@hotmail.com is my e-mail and our suite door is always open for cocktails on the balcony. Look us up in 9056 (unless an upgrade comes thru..wink).

Staying at the Barclay on the 8th and the Savoy 15-18th.

JohnR

• 2 weeks later...

My husband Bob and I, from Reston, VA will be on the August 9 sailing as well. JGR01, your invitation is both generous and elegant and we will probably look you up! I have a question for anyone here. The Cunard transfer info is all about Southampton to London. We are going straight to Oxford for a bicycle tour through the Cotswolds for six nights. My husband likes to "be among the people." Translation: if there is a bus, we will take it to the train station. I've read there is a "link" bus but can find no schedule or info on the web; also, there seem to be about 6 different train lines; must I look at each website to find the best one from Southampton to Oxford?

I'm the social one and husband is the geographical/logistical one and yet, here I am . . .

Thanks all,

Abby

There is a waiting hall, but don't expect too much in the way of comfort. Arriving before 11 AM will put you in the midst of lots of traffic still trying to deal with the arriving passengers, and the longshoremen may not be ready to take your luggage, as they will still be assisting debarking pax.

Bluenoser, JGRO1, Restinthe Cat, email today from Vantage that a UPS package is on the way...hopefully our documents....Looking forward to meeting you all on Aug 9th or soon thereafter. We are now looking at how to spend our days on day trips out of London.

The Golds....

Archived