Scuba/snorkeling in Suva, Fiji

MarTex

Have snorkelled all over the world and was very dissapointed in Fiji we joined a group of divers on the stop in (savusavu) the other large island. The company was Koro Sun dive poorly organized should have never offered to take out snorkelers I honestly feared for my life as they had trouble controlling the drift of the boat and had us swim father and father against the current to come back on board. The divers said they saw lots of great colour but what I could see I will stick to Bora bora or the GB!

Have snorkelled all over the world and was very dissapointed in Fiji we joined a group of divers on the stop in (savusavu) the other large island. The company was Koro Sun dive poorly organized should have never offered to take out snorkelers I honestly feared for my life as they had trouble controlling the drift of the boat and had us swim father and father against the current to come back on board. The divers said they saw lots of great colour but what I could see I will stick to Bora bora or the GB!

Thanks for your response and glad you're OK. I understand the current issue. We were caught in the "blue cut" in Bermuda. My wife freaked out. I had a blast. Most divers know how to deal with them. The tour operator handled the situation well. Didn't make us swim against the current. My wife thought we were going to end up in France...not a bad idea.

In January 2012, we were at Qamea Resort on Qamea Island in Fiji and the off-beach snorkeling there was absolutely fantastic - the boat trips were slightly better but the off-beach was so good, it was hard to be much better. I think that Fiji has some of the best if not the best off-beach snorkeling in the world -but off the smaller islands, I think, not the bigger islands. So, it very much depends on where you are in Fiji to talk about how good the snorkeling is.

In January 2012, we were at Qamea Resort on Qamea Island in Fiji and the off-beach snorkeling there was absolutely fantastic - the boat trips were slightly better but the off-beach was so good, it was hard to be much better. I think that Fiji has some of the best if not the best off-beach snorkeling in the world -but off the smaller islands, I think, not the bigger islands. So, it very much depends on where you are in Fiji to talk about how good the snorkeling is.

SnorkelAway, Thanks for responding! Good to know that shore snorkeling could be an option. I remember reading that one of the Cousteau's said that Fiji was the soft coral capital of the world. It would be a shame not to dive/snorkel while there. Any shark sightings during your dive?

We just snorkeled on this trip, although Qamea had a dive master and all the equipment. And, yes, we did see a shark or two - the ones we saw were black tip reef sharks. What was really fantastic was the corals - nothing like it anywhere else we have been - certainly nothing in Caribbean compares.

We travelled with Cousteau on our trip and yes certain out small islands are good but we took a day trip to one and it was a waste of time. He has his own resort and they did not even go there. That was the problem with the tour operator as they made us swim against the current tough to do when the boat keeps moving further because it is drifting just poor planning as I have snorkelled in currents before.

• 2 weeks later...

OP - sorry can't help you with info on Suva, but we've been to Fiji twice and the snorkeling was outstanding! First time we were at the Wananavu Resort up north in RakiRaki. Second time we stayed on Matamanoa Island and it was awesome. I've never seen so many different kinds of coral. Unfortunately, we also ran into the Crown of Thorn starfish which is causing damage. Here's some snorkeling pics.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

From storms and the crown of thorns. The islands that snorkel away referred to are out islands where I am sure it was great but in Suva are not so unless you are a diver going very deep and far out. Picasso trigger fish are not that uncommon and you will see them.

OP - sorry can't help you with info on Suva, but we've been to Fiji twice and the snorkeling was outstanding! First time we were at the Wananavu Resort up north in RakiRaki. Second time we stayed on Matamanoa Island and it was awesome. I've never seen so many different kinds of coral. Unfortunately, we also ran into the Crown of Thorn starfish which is causing damage. Here's some snorkeling pics.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Beautiful photos. The turtle photo is very nice! Camera? I use a Olympus tough with a UW housing. I'll also have a GOPRO Hero+ with me for video. We just booked a private tour that is taking us to Pacific Harbor to do a Snorkel/dive.

Thanks again,

Allan

hi Allen -

I too have used versions of the Olympus Tough. The one I'm using now is the TG-820, although that's not what took the snorkel pictures back then. I think it was my Pentax.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0039237H4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I really love the Tough series. Great photos and amazing video.

The turtle pic was actually taken by my husband who was using his dive camera at the time. Sorry, don't know what it was. But considering we were just snorkeling, the scenery was amazing. :)

Wherever you go, I'm sure it will be great. By next year we'll have enough FF miles for another trip, so am pushing DH for that. :D

Archived