New Cruise Book- Devils in the Deep Blue Sea!

karfest

USA Today has an article in the travel section about a new book entitled:

Devils on the Deep Blue Sea: The Dreams , Schemes, and Showdowns that Built America's Cruise Ship Empires. The author is Kristoffer Garin.

The title sounds alot like our boards lately with all the scheming and showdowns. ;)

It looks like it could be an interesting book--although the author has only been on 4 cruises so I don't know if we should trust his judgement:eek:

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/destinations/2005-07-07-cruise-book_x.htm

Hi Karfest:

I'm right now half-way through the book. As I mentioned on a previous post, it has a lot about the beginnings of the NCL Line. Did you know originally NCL stood for Norwegian Carribean Line!

There are parts of the book that are pretty dry-- and a real snoozer-- but some that will curl your hair.

There are stories about the early cruise days-- and the struggle the owners of various lines had to make ends meet... and how they cut corners-- sometimes-- resulting in death for passengers.

One famous fire (not NCL) happened when there were electrical problems. There were no smoke detectors, and the sprinklers didn't work because the ship had diverted the water to fill up the swimming pool! As a result, the ship sunk and many people died.

They also talk about one early ship (not NCL) which was slapped together WHILE already in use. Apparently, the plumbing had been put in wrong in one cabin, and a woman was burned to death and trapped in her shower.

There is a whole chapter about Carnival's "Mardi Gras" and how it foundered on a sand bar right out of the Port of Miami on its maiden voyage-- with all the world watching. For many years, the bartenders on board Carnival would serve a drink called, "Mardi Gras on the Rocks"-- ahhh.. now you know the inside joke!

I heard the author being interviewed on a local radio program, and can't wait to get to the chapters on modern day cruising. He discusses SOLAS laws and flags of convenience. That part should be interesting....

USA Today has an article in the travel section about a new book entitled:

Devils on the Deep Blue Sea: The Dreams , Schemes, and Showdowns that Built America's Cruise Ship Empires. The author is Kristoffer Garin.

The title sounds alot like our boards lately with all the scheming and showdowns. ;)

It looks like it could be an interesting book--although the author has only been on 4 cruises so I don't know if we should trust his judgement:eek:

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/destinations/2005-07-07-cruise-book_x.htm

Karfest, let's get him on the boards for some input into one of our sedate, intellectual discussions!

:)

Archived