Cruising with a walker

janniejl

We are cruising on Island Princess Caribe Deck Balcony cabin. My husband uses a walker. Hope there will be room for navigating in the room. I read bathrooms are small. Any comments or suggestions would be helpful. We have fixed dinner time; I imagine the waiter stores the walker during the meal. First cruise with walker:rolleyes: so many questions. Thanks

How does your husband handle steps? The primary problem in a standard statroom is the step up into the bathroom. It can be 4 to 6 inches up. There is enough room in the cabin for using the walker but the bath will be quite tight. Also you may (or may not) have to turn the walker sideways to enter the room as the doorways are much tighter than are standard in homes/hotels etc. I have found this to be the case in all standard staterooms across different lines and types of cabins.

We did the Panama on the Island's sister the Coral about 5 years ago. If you can still book a handicapped cabin it may be advisable to do so. Not knowing how much mobility your DH has, it is rather hard for me to say how he will make out in a regular cabin. One of the challenges with these 2 ships is that they were designed to fit though the Panama Canal and the result is that the halls are quite narrow and transiting down the halls by cabin stewards carts can be a real problem....accessible cabins tend to be adjacent elevator lobbies.

Archived