All Things Breakaway (secrets, tibits, to do)

gizmo911

O Sheehans has an added ice cream menu, you pay extra but the sundaes are yummy.

You can charge buy in for the poker tournaments to your room card

Dailies aren't in your room the first day, you have to get one from guest services....or at least I did.

Soda in the mini bar is the same price as if you order it in a restaurant, so enjoy!

You can take money off of your room card to play slots too with your players card! I learned that this last cruise!

They usually hand out dailies at the terminal first day.

*If you are up early go to the jacuzzis in Spice H20. We went around 8am and had the whole thing to ourselves for almost an hour!

*We found the best MDR service to be in the Manhattan Room and their everyday menu is different [and a bit better IMO] than Taste or Savor even though the daily specials are the same in all three.

*Moderno is excellent and well worth the $20 cover charge. Le Bistro is good too but for the same price we felt Moderno was a bit better value [Le Bistro had escargot which I love but other lines offer this for free in the MDR so I was sad NCL only has it in the pay restaurants]. You can't go wrong with either but if you only do 1 cover charge restaurant on the trip I would pick Moderno.

*The Svedka Icebar is very cool [no pun intended] and whilst there is a $20 cover it includes 2 drinks so the price is not much more than buying two drinks at a normal bar.

*The Humidor is a wonderful place to unwind after dinner with a smoke and good company. [if you don't smoke I guess it wouldn't be but if you do it's great!] Very much of an old time ocean liner type feel with leather seats and dark colors.

Have a great trip on the Breakaway! She is a beautiful ship!

*The Humidor is a wonderful place to unwind after dinner with a smoke and good company. [if you don't smoke I guess it wouldn't be but if you do it's great!] Very much of an old time ocean liner type feel with leather seats and dark colors.

Have a great trip on the Breakaway! She is a beautiful ship!

This is the first I've heard of The Humidor. Where is it located?

Richard/Tralfie

You can take money off of your room card to play slots too with your players card! I learned that this last cruise!

They usually hand out dailies at the terminal first day.

Is there a charge for taking money off of your room card?

Does anyone know where hand luggage drop-off is after boarding Breakaway, prior to the rooms opening up?

NCL typically has a location designated for this so you don't have to carry all your hand luggage everywhere while eating. They tag it and you collect it before going to your room.

We will be on Breakaway in four weeks, and was curious to know if there was a certain location identified for this. It is a useful thing to know, and something that I learned here on cruise critic.

Thanks...

I read that the ship has an actual hot dog stand like you would find in NYC. Are they complementary with all of the fixings?

See the posts below for info on the hot dog stand~

And try to find the Sabrett hot dog stand if you can. It moves around and it's only open for about an hour a day, but they're real Sabrett dogs in a steamed bun with all the right condiments. They're free and they rock!

The hours (usually 12 - 4) for the hot dog carts, and their locations, are listed in the Freestyle Daily.
Edited by Alliezona09

I didn't see a place to drop luggage but we were able to drop them in our cabin even though wasn't quite ready yet.

On our cruise they offered a free bottle of house wine - red or white - at any of the pay dining venues on the first night. We had a nice dinner at La Cucina for $15 each so was a deal. It may not always be on so check.

A word of warning if you're a coffee drinker. The coffee was really strange and we didn't like it at all. I mostly drank the coffee in the cabin but someone suggested the Starbucks coffee packets or something similar.

If you want to be at Spice H20 for the fireworks go early. They close it when it gets to a certain capacity.

Does anyone know where hand luggage drop-off is after boarding Breakaway, prior to the rooms opening up?

NCL typically has a location designated for this so you don't have to carry all your hand luggage everywhere while eating. They tag it and you collect it before going to your room.

We will be on Breakaway in four weeks, and was curious to know if there was a certain location identified for this. It is a useful thing to know, and something that I learned here on cruise critic.

Thanks...

They do not have a luggage drop off, probably due to the capacity. Even though cabins may not be ready you will be able to drop your luggage there. It is encouraged that you do so.

We dropped ours off and our steward also had us sign his clipboard...

Is there a charge for taking money off of your room card?

Honestly, I have no idea....I probably should considering the number of times I did it :/ I don't remember seeing extra charges on our account but I didn't really look.

Food Food Food!

...Main dining rooms (Taste/Savor) and O'Sheehans is open is for lunch on embarkation day... You don't have to go to the buffet if you don't want to but that's good too.

...A Sabrette hotdog that's pink and snappy (not a grey dirty water dog like NYC) - Both on the waterfront during the day, and indoors at night (included)

...Lobster night (second night) in the Garden Cafe buffet (included)

...Lunch at O'Sheehans - Corn Beef Cabbage Soup amazing! Buffalo Wings, Burger, Corn Beef sammich Yum! (included)

...All the specialty restaurants (Cagney's, Le Bistro, Moderno favorites) (varying cover charge, with discount/wine on first night only)

...Lobster Tail from Carlo's Famous Bake shop YUM! (a la carte)

...Lobster Roll from Ocean Blue on the Waterfront for lunch WOW! ($10)

...Steak Tartar and Dover Sole in Ocean Blue for dinner AMAZING! ($49)

...Dragon Roll and Godzilla Rolls from Wasabi very good (a la carte)

Activities and entertainment

...Walking the Waterfront in the early morning, relaxing on a lounger.

...The entire Sports Complex - Water slides, ropes course with zip line and walk the plank, mini-golf, etc.

...Burn the Floor (excellent), Rock of Ages (very good show, excellent band, mature themes). Reservations recommended but you can also try to go in on standby minutes before the show.

...Any performances in the Atrium, Headliners, and Fat Cats, go early because of limited seating. Fire & Ice, and Fat Cats excellent.

Edited by kylenyc

Food Food Food!

...Main dining rooms (Taste/Savor) and O'Sheehans is open is for lunch on embarkation day... You don't have to go to the buffet if you don't want to but that's good too.

...A Sabrette hotdog that's pink and snappy (not a grey dirty water dog like NYC) - Both on the waterfront during the day, and indoors at night (included)

...Lobster night (second night) in the Garden Cafe buffet (included)

...Lunch at O'Sheehans - Corn Beef Cabbage Soup amazing! Buffalo Wings, Burger, Corn Beef sammich Yum! (included)

...All the specialty restaurants (Cagney's, Le Bistro, Moderno favorites) (varying cover charge, with discount/wine on first night only)

...Lobster Tail from Carlo's Famous Bake shop YUM! (a la carte)

...Lobster Roll from Ocean Blue on the Waterfront for lunch WOW! ($10)

...Steak Tartar and Dover Sole in Ocean Blue for dinner AMAZING! ($49)

...Dragon Roll and Godzilla Rolls from Wasabi very good (a la carte)

Activities and entertainment

...Walking the Waterfront in the early morning, relaxing on a lounger.

...The entire Sports Complex - Water slides, ropes course with zip line and walk the plank, mini-golf, etc.

...Burn the Floor (excellent), Rock of Ages (very good show, excellent band, mature themes). Reservations recommended but you can also try to go in on standby minutes before the show.

...Any performances in the Atrium, Headliners, and Fat Cats, go early because of limited seating. Fire & Ice, and Fat Cats excellent.

• Can you describe lobster roll at Ocean Blue and does it come with anything else at lunch time? I guess I am wondering If this would be enough for two if just wanted a snack.
  • Which MDR is better or are they about the same. We will only be going to one specialty and the rest of the time eating in MDR.

Edited by gizmo911

• Can you describe lobster roll at Ocean Blue and does it come with anything else at lunch time? I guess I am wondering If this would be enough for two if just wanted a snack.
  • Which MDR is better or are they about the same. We will only be going to one specialty and the rest of the time eating in MDR.

I organized a "food crawl" for our Roll Call where we all went around together sampling and sharing food. So we all split a lobster roll and had half, and had a piece of sushi which was plenty of food for lunch!. It comes with deep friend potato chips nothing else. We never got around to the hot dog :D. The roll is toasted and buttered, and the lobster is a tossed in type of butter sauce and very rich. It's different than a Maine Lobster Roll which is served two ways 1) Tossed with mayo like a slaw or 2) "Naked" drizzled with drawn butter.

The Taste/Savor main dining rooms are more intimate. The Manhattan is larger with a dance floor and band stand. All three serve the same dinner menu. Half of the dinner menu changes every day, the other half stays the same. They post the dinner menu in the afternoon and I usually see if anything entices me before I decide whether or not to go to a specialty restaurant.

Here some pictures of

Taste/Savor http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1834773&page=5#94

Manhattan http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1834773&page=13#256

Edited by kylenyc

I organized a "food crawl" for our Roll Call where we all went around together sampling and sharing food. So we all split a lobster roll and had half, and had a piece of sushi which was plenty of food for lunch!. It comes with deep friend potato chips nothing else. We never got around to the hot dog :D. The roll is toasted and buttered, and the lobster is a tossed in type of butter sauce and very rich. It's different than a Maine Lobster Roll which is served two ways 1) Tossed with mayo like a slaw or 2) "Naked" drizzled with drawn butter.

The Taste/Savor main dining rooms are more intimate. The Manhattan is larger with a dance floor and band stand. All three serve the same dinner menu. Half of the dinner menu changes every day, the other half stays the same. They post the dinner menu in the afternoon and I usually see if anything entices me before I decide whether or not to go to a specialty restaurant.

Here some pictures of

Taste/Savor http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1834773&page=5#94

Manhattan http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1834773&page=13#256

Thank you for the links. I also enjoyed your review with pictures. We have a balcony cabin and I am so excited.

Thank you for the links. I also enjoyed your review with pictures. We have a balcony cabin and I am so excited.

You're welcome. I just learned that the menus on the Manhattan Room is in fact slightly different than the Savor/Taste room but not by much. The "Classic/Favorite Selections" that stays the same every evening is slightly different. But the "Specialties" side which changes every night is the same in all three. Confused yet?

Oops :o. Wow, amazing how you folks were astute enough to notice a difference. However, many of differences are subtle to non-existent. Only three dishes appear truly different.

Sounds like most are the same dish reworded LOL. They have a pretty slick marketing team. :p

(Manhattan) vs (Taste/Savor)

"Smoked Salmon Tartar" vs "Norwegian Smoked Salmon Tartar"

"Class Onion Soup" vs "French Onion Soup"

"Mexican Mushroom Cheese Tortilla Crisp" vs "Wild Mushroom Quesadilla"

"Cream of Brocolli Soup" vs "Garden Brocolli Bisque"

etc. etc.

The seem to be only four truly different dishes on the fixed "Classic/Favorite Selections"

New York Strip vs Beef Rib Eye Steak

Rosemary Roasted Chicken vs Roasted Chicken Breast

Braised Lamb Shank vs Pork Tenderloin Medallions

And a pasta dish has different sauces.

. Edited by kylenyc

Great Stirrup Cay - now available Small and Large Cabanas on the Cay.

For some reason, when you book from breakaway! the price is $299 for the day. But if you book from another ship, the price appears to be $199! WTH

The large cabana holds 8 and includes $50 food and beverage credit.

The small cabana holds 4 and includes $25 food and beverage credit.

For some reason, both cost $299, so not sure how fair that is that the small gets you less food credit.

Includes rental of two float mats, and has a shower.

It appears that the small cabanas have just been finished, as they just appeared as an option to book around Oct 20 2013.

Video from NCL showing the large cabanas: