Help with modified cabin in Carnival Breeze

awg1747

We are traveling with our kids in three adjacent cabins on the Carnival Beeze, were thrilled to find them. Later on I found out that I am getting a modified cabin, 185 sq feet. I am a T4 complete paraplegic, and when I called, carnival offered me a larger fully accessible cabin and one of my kids cabins three or four cabins away.

We are thinking of staying in the modified cabin, for security and to be with the rest of the family coming along. My concern is accessing the shower and accessing the bed.

I would appreciate any input, pics, or any helpful suggestion regarding the decision. Tks.

We are traveling with our kids in three adjacent cabins on the Carnival Beeze, were thrilled to find them. Later on I found out that I am getting a modified cabin, 185 sq feet. I am a T4 complete paraplegic, and when I called, carnival offered me a larger fully accessible cabin and one of my kids cabins three or four cabins away.

We are thinking of staying in the modified cabin, for security and to be with the rest of the family coming along. My concern is accessing the shower and accessing the bed.

I would appreciate any input, pics, or any helpful suggestion regarding the decision. Tks.

When I had a modified cabin if I was not ambulatory I would not have been able to get into the bathroom. The only difference from a regular to modified are the bars around the toliet and the shower chair.

You will need a fully accessible cabin. There is also a chance you will not be able to get into the cabin as the doors are not any wider then a regular cabin.

You need to have a Fully Accessible cabin.

A modified cabin is just a standard cabin with only a few adaptations such as grab bars and a shower seat. The room is NOT large enough to move about in a wheelchair. Also the bathroom does NOT have a zero threshold or can it accommodate a wheelchair. There is 3" - 8" step up into the bathroom with an additional 4"lip to step over getting into the shower. The door into the cabin is also standard with and wheelchair accessible with.

I have sailed one time in a modified cabin on Carnival. I will not sail with them again unless I can reserve a fully accessible cabin. First, our entry door was large enough to enter riding on my scooter. However once inside the problems began. I had polio as a child and now use a scooter. I can still walk small distances (until my legs give out and down I go) but have great problems with steps. The step up into the bath was a BIG problem. I ended up putting the desk chair at the entrance to the bath. I would sit in the chair, scoot the chair backwards, stand up (now in the bath), my husband would remove the chair and I would sit on the toilet or shower chair to complete my duties even if it was for something as simple as brushing my teeth. My husband would then put the chair back in the bathroom and I would sit and scoot forward until I could put my feet down and then stand up in the room. I travel with lots of "stuff", a scooter, canes, and a walker. We were constantly having to move stuff to get to things in the room. AND I can still walk just a bit.

Carnival says that the door width is 32 inches, and the pathway is also 32 inches. They say this is wide enough to roll, which it is, but not wide enough to turn the wheelchair around, which is probably not. The shower is a roll in shower, no step. Someone sent me pictures of another modified cabin, it is just very small, but rollable. You just have to go outside to change your mind. To me, the cabin is a place to shower and lie down, I dont foresee myself sitting around in the cabin. Common sense tells me I should change, but I worry about my kids.

Carnival says that the door width is 32 inches, and the pathway is also 32 inches. They say this is wide enough to roll, which it is, but not wide enough to turn the wheelchair around, which is probably not. The shower is a roll in shower, no step. Someone sent me pictures of another modified cabin, it is just very small, but rollable. You just have to go outside to change your mind. To me, the cabin is a place to shower and lie down, I dont foresee myself sitting around in the cabin. Common sense tells me I should change, but I worry about my kids.

Have you actually checked the details for your cabin on the deck plans of Carnival Breeze as most details for each cabin are on posted when you click on that specific cabin number? Here's the link. http://www.carnival.com/cruise-ships/carnival-breeze.aspx

This is what they say about the cabin:

Carnival Breeze:

Modified Stateroom:

Entry doorway to stateroom: 32” wide; this stateroom does not have complete turnaround space

Entry doorway to stateroom bathroom: 32” wide, built in fold down shower seat; commode height of 16”; with full 60”x60” turnaround space

Entry doorway to stateroom bathroom: 32” wide

Public Accessible Bathrooms: located on Deck 0 port side (infirmary), Deck 3 forward, Deck 4 midship, Deck 5 midship, Deck 9 aft, Deck 11 and Deck 12 forward

Non Accessible areas: public pools, whirlpools, Deck 14 Aft

Have you actually checked the details for your cabin on the deck plans of Carnival Breeze as most details for each cabin are on posted when you click on that specific cabin number? Here's the link. http://www.carnival.com/cruise-ships/carnival-breeze.aspx

Archived