San Juan transportation to AOS?

Just got off the 6/26 sailing of AOS. Since we arrived in San Juan 3 days pre-cruise, we took a taxi to the Condado area, and again when it was time to go to Pan American pier. Since taxi fares are regulated in PR, it was cheap and easy to do.

However, while on the ship, my MIL and FIL decided it would be easier to use the transfers offered by the cruiseline, as they thought it was too conjested in the taxi area upon check-in. Therefore, my DH, DS, and I decided that we would also use the transfers, as we didn't want them going on the bus alone. As Murphy's Law would have it, they got an earlier disembarkation number than we did (even tho we were all on the same flight), and were off the ship and gone to the airport before we could get off. When you get off the ship and you're using the transfer, they take your luggage and load it on a truck, and then you get on a bus. You leave the port area long before your luggage does, but you have to stand and wait for it when you arrive at the San Juan airport. To use our experience as an example, we arrived at the San Juan airport at 9:10 a.m., but our luggage didn't arrive until 10:30 a.m., and we still had to check in to make a 12:20 p.m. flight! And this was after my husband made a couple of calls to supervisors, etc. to get the truck moving from the pier to the airport! Whereas, if we had taken a taxi, we would have been with our luggage the entire time, and would have been able to check in immediately upon arrival at the airport!

With all the TSA reg's these days, and to be separated from your luggage for such a long period of time, just doesn't seem right to me. Take my advice, use a taxi, and forget about using RCCL's transfer package. Less stress in the long run, and stress is the last thing you need when leaving such a wonderful cruise!

Dru

Daydreamer- my hubby, son and I will be on the same cruise with you. :p

Does anyone know if any of the hotels offer shuttle service to the pier?? We are staying at the Sheraton Old San Juan...

thanks Gang!

Pam

I don't know about the Sheraton, but the hotels we have stayed in, The Marriott, Wyndahm Condado Plaza, Embassy Suites and InterContinental (Called something else then) had no transfers to the ship. We used cabs every time. It's so much easier to use cabs all the time than using the transfers. Although, when we have had later flights coming home, we took tours of Old San Juan and those tours dropped us off at the airport. We got those tours outside the cruise terminal. We didn't do ship tours for San Juan. The ones at the cruise terminal from people outside asking you to take their tours were cheaper and a smaller group also.

We are looking forward to our cruise in San Juan in November. Have fun with yours.

Katie

Archived