I've heard mixed reviews on if the upsell fairy still takes calls? Yes or No?

cruisecritiquer

Hello all,

I've read some threads but the answers seem to be mixed as to whether the upsell fairy (reassignment desk) accepts phone calls close to the sailing date. I haven't seen too much talk about this recently so maybe this is a thing of the past.

Anyway, I am noticing that there are still 14 2-bedroom suites available and they haven't been selling that well over the last month. I am very happy with the cabin I have right now as I always book what i would be happy with from the beginning but if it is possible to obtain an upsell to a two bedroom family villa (as I've seen happen on this board), that would be outstanding (and I know...not likely).

My PCC offered me an upgrade from the M2 to the mini suite with spa but I don't want to be aft and I want to be closer to the kid's club and the garden cafe (because of DS).

The only other things we could upgrade to would be the 2 bedroom.

So does the reassignment desk operate on a "don't call us, we'll call you" only basis now. I'd like to hear from people who have tried to contact the reassignment desk recently (within the last 6 months or so).

Thanks!

I have been watching the S4, and hoping for a call. The price has decreased a lot since I booked over a year ago. I was hoping for a call while on furlough but nothing. When I have gotten the call on prior cruises it was less than 2 weeks before sailing. So I figure (and this is just me) that if the deck 16s don't go there is a possibility for upsell calls, especially to release some prime space that NCL can then upsell, or with call for lasts minute bookings.

I am still hopeful!!!

I just got the call today from NCL for our cruise on 10/27. Went from a Mini Suite to a Haven 2 bedroom. This is the first time it has happened for me.

Bob

Hey Now! Congrats!!!!

May I ask, how much did you you have to pay?

You don't have to wait. If you want to pay the difference in price by all means call. They will be glad to put you in the more expensive room. I just did the same thing for our upcoming cruise. If there are that many suites available I would wait until the price drops further. I did just that & booked about 3 weeks prior to leaving. Good luck

You don't have to wait. If you want to pay the difference in price by all means call. They will be glad to put you in the more expensive room. I just did the same thing for our upcoming cruise. If there are that many suites available I would wait until the price drops further. I did just that & booked about 3 weeks prior to leaving. Good luck

Upgrading for the current price difference is different than calling and asking an (usually alot discounted) upsell from the specific department.

I can't help OP because I haven't even tried to vall them, but to my understanding the reassignment desk hasn't taken incoming unsolicited calls in ages, and that's why there has been very little conversation about that (compared to the time when they still took calls).

It's been a long time since the accepted incoming calls. Your best bet if you really want the suite is to call the 800 number and book it. If you've been called and offered an upsell and rejected it, probably no more calls for this cruise.

It seems that for the last 6-12 months the folks posting on here that they received upsell calls has dropped substantially. Maybe the rooms are selling themselves, or folks just aren't posting, I don't know.

It's been a long time since the accepted incoming calls. Your best bet if you really want the suite is to call the 800 number and book it. If you've been called and offered an upsell and rejected it, probably no more calls for this cruise.

It seems that for the last 6-12 months the folks posting on here that they received upsell calls has dropped substantially. Maybe the rooms are selling themselves, or folks just aren't posting, I don't know.

I didn't reject an upsell. I was offered it by my PCC because the price of the spa suite came down to about the price I paid for the M2 mini-suite. I've received no call directly from the reassignment desk. That was a different type of offer than an upsell.

I just got the call today from NCL for our cruise on 10/27. Went from a Mini Suite to a Haven 2 bedroom. This is the first time it has happened for me.

Bob

Thanks Bob. What ship? I'm assuming you are talking about the Jewel leaving out of NOLA. The 2 bedrooms on that ship are currently at $1,699.00 which is about $600 less than what they are asking for in the same accommodations on the Epic at this time. If our prices came down that much per person (savings of $1,200.00) and spending only an additional 1400, I would just book it directly. Maybe as the time nears, they will. There are three left on the Jewel. There are 14 left on the Epic. If you don't mind sharing, how much was the upsell?

That's what we did when Penthouse suites dropped substantially on our last cruise. We just mentioned it to our TA and I am not sure who they called, I assumed just the regular RES department, while we waited online. We were offered an aft facing penthouse for about $90 per person for the two of us. We had been in an aft facing mini and there are only a few of those, so I'm sure NCL in turn either sold it outright, or upsold a balcony and then resold that. Prior to that we had upsold ourselves from an aft facing balcony to the aft mini.

I think it's better to "volunteer" for an upsell ( or free upgrade ) than it is to wait and hope you get a random call. What are the odds, really.

That's what we did when Penthouse suites dropped substantially on our last cruise. We just mentioned it to our TA and I am not sure who they called, I assumed just the regular RES department, while we waited online. We were offered an aft facing penthouse for about $90 per person for the two of us. We had been in an aft facing mini and there are only a few of those, so I'm sure NCL in turn either sold it outright, or upsold a balcony and then resold that. Prior to that we had upsold ourselves from an aft facing balcony to the aft mini.

I think it's better to "volunteer" for an upsell ( or free upgrade ) than it is to wait and hope you get a random call. What are the odds, really.

How far out were you from your cruise and when was this - I was told things have changed since a few years ago? :) I would agree that it's better to volunteer generally but I don't want to make anyone angry at the reassignment desk by calling if I'm not supposed to. That's why I posted this thread.

How far out were you from your cruise and when was this - I was told things have changed since a few years ago? :) I would agree that it's better to volunteer generally but I don't want to make anyone angry at the reassignment desk by calling if I'm not supposed to. That's why I posted this thread.

It was only this May on the Sun. There seemed to be price drops across all categories beginning a few weeks or more prior to sailing. I don't recall the exact timing. I started watching for price drops probably about six or eight weeks out. Many on our Roll Call either got a free upgrade in the lower categories or upsells into suites, either forward or aft facing. I don't think any of us waited for a call, but initiated it ourselves. I'm not sure there is an official department that handles this. We all just called reservations or had our TAs do it. You are actually making their job easier, right? They don't have to decide who to call!

It was only this May on the Sun. There seemed to be price drops across all categories beginning a few weeks or more prior to sailing. I don't recall the exact timing. I started watching for price drops probably about six or eight weeks out. Many on our Roll Call either got a free upgrade in the lower categories or upsells into suites, either forward or aft facing. I don't think any of us waited for a call, but initiated it ourselves. I'm not sure there is an official department that handles this. We all just called reservations or had our TAs do it. You are actually making their job easier, right? They don't have to decide who to call!

I would certainly agree with this. We got an upgrade from our PCC thru FB, then I called him when he also mentioned he could offer us a further UPSELL if I'd call. If you don't deal with a PCC just call the 800 number whenever you feel comfortable doing it. You have nothing to lose unless you've already been given OBC + other perks like free dinners and wine which might be negotiable in any case.

Good luck whatever decision you make ;)

I'm wondering how you would even get a number to call the "reassignment desk"?? You can call the reservations number any time and ask for pricing to upsell yourself. When they closed the upsell group to incoming calls, my understanding was they also closed the phone number that used to be common knowledge.

See what you are talking about is different. PCC's can give you upgrades and upsells to higher categories at whatever the going rate is for that room after final payment. Only the Reassignment Desk can offer steep discounts (say upsell you to the 2 bedroom for 600 total as I've seen happen here a few times) on available rooms a few weeks out. I've watched for price drops and posted them on our roll call daily. About 4 people have been bumped up from balcony to mini suite or ocean view to balcony based on those price drops but with an M2 I have nowhere else to go but up to the 2 bedroom (or spa which I don't want). You can't call your PCC and ask for an upsell (with a steep discount). That is the difference.

So my question remains, if I call the reassignment desk which is a completely different office than the PCC or customer service, will they send me to time out and tell me never to call again or will they entertain my request. :)

I'm wondering how you would even get a number to call the "reassignment desk"?? You can call the reservations number any time and ask for pricing to upsell yourself. When they closed the upsell group to incoming calls, my understanding was they also closed the phone number that used to be common knowledge.

I already have the number to the reassignment desk. ;) The phone number is not closed, I assure you. That number that used to be common knowledge still works. However, when some people called in they were told don't call us, we'll call you while some others said their call was successful. I'm just trying to ascertain what their views are currently.

We are about 45 days out from our cruise and a few weeks ago the obstructed OV's dropped to what we had paid for our inside. It was the weekend so I called the 800 and upgraded no problem.

The other day I called my PCC and asked about a possible upgrade to a balcony or upsell to a suite (first time for either), he put me on hold and called "someone", came back and told me at the time the best they could do was an "upgrade" to a family OC but I would go from deck 8 to deck 5 and he knew we wanted to stay on deck 8 or higher. Told me to call back about 3-4 weeks out from our cruise to see what can be done.

Like everyone else, I think its best to call and just see what they can offer, rather than just wait for a call that may never come. Especially if you are noticing that your sailing isn't selling as well as normal and prices are dropping.

We are about 45 days out from our cruise and a few weeks ago the obstructed OV's dropped to what we had paid for our inside. It was the weekend so I called the 800 and upgraded no problem.

The other day I called my PCC and asked about a possible upgrade to a balcony or upsell to a suite (first time for either), he put me on hold and called "someone", came back and told me at the time the best they could do was an "upgrade" to a family OC but I would go from deck 8 to deck 5 and he knew we wanted to stay on deck 8 or higher. Told me to call back about 3-4 weeks out from our cruise to see what can be done.

Like everyone else, I think its best to call and just see what they can offer, rather than just wait for a call that may never come. Especially if you are noticing that your sailing isn't selling as well as normal and prices are dropping.

My PCC won't contact them. It was all very confusing. At first he said contact me about 3 weeks out and he'd see if he can work his magic. Then all the sudden when I talked to him yesterday he said "oh that might be very difficult" as though it was my first time bringing it up. :rolleyes: He tried to put me in a spa minisuite but for the reasons I've already set forth, I don't want a spa minisuite. There are 14 2 bedroom villas left. If I don't end up in one it's no big deal but I don't get why he won't even call the desk and ask unless there is an internal policy that prevents him from doing so.

So my question remains, if I call the reassignment desk which is a completely different office than the PCC or customer service, will they send me to time out and tell me never to call again or will they entertain my request. :)

Looks like there is only one way to find out. Let us know what they tell you - and good luck!:D

See what you are talking about is different. PCC's can give you upgrades and upsells to higher categories at whatever the going rate is for that room after final payment. Only the Reassignment Desk can offer steep discounts (say upsell you to the 2 bedroom for 600 total as I've seen happen here a few times) on available rooms a few weeks out. I've watched for price drops and posted them on our roll call daily. About 4 people have been bumped up from balcony to mini suite or ocean view to balcony based on those price drops but with an M2 I have nowhere else to go but up to the 2 bedroom (or spa which I don't want). You can't call your PCC and ask for an upsell (with a steep discount). That is the difference.

So you think $90 to go from a mini to an aft facing penthouse is not a steep discount? What we paid was not the "going rate". We could never have booked it for the price we paid, for sure!

My guess is that if you call this number, you will be politely told that they do not accept incoming calls. I don't think you will be "blacklisted":). What I'm saying is that I think you can accomplish the same thing by calling reservations.

Looks like there is only one way to find out. Let us know what they tell you - and good luck!:D

I know! And I'm scared like a little kid. :o It's ridiculous. :( I've picked up the phone a couple of times and hung it back up. I used to get the same feeling when asking my strict parents if a friend could come along on vacation or spend the night. LOL Since there are still 14 left, I may wait a little while. :o Until then, thanks for letting me vent about it. I really appreciate everyone just letting me go on and on and on without throwing stones (yet). :D Maybe I'll wait for 2tnts to call first. LOL

So you think $90 to go from a mini to an aft facing penthouse is not a steep discount? What we paid was not the "going rate". We could never have booked it for the price we paid, for sure!

My guess is that if you call this number, you will be politely told that they do not accept incoming calls. I don't think you will be "blacklisted":). What I'm saying is that I think you can accomplish the same thing by calling reservations.

I must have misunderstood your post. That is a significant discount. It probably pays to have a TA then. My PCC acted as timid as I feel when I suggested he ask them. Perhaps I shouldn't have said, "you can't call your PCC and ask for a steep discount"...apparently it's just mine you can't call.

I don't think you have to go through your PCC. I think if you just call the 800 # and tell them you want to talk to someone about changing to a higher category cabin they will send you to reservations. When you get them on the line, just say you want to find out what it would take to go from whatever category you are to the 2 BR.

If they insist on sending you to the PCC, just tell him the same thing. He cannot refuse to check for you! You may not like the price he tells you, but if so, just watch prices/inventory and when you see further drops, call again, if still not right, repeat process until hopefully you will hit a price you can afford. The stars really have to be aligned in order to have a good outcome. All factors that NCL uses to determine upsells, ship occupancy, sales trends in various categories, how close to sail date, full moon or not, whatever magic formula they use.:).

It can really be nerve wracking when prices are falling for a small inventory of cabins. If you wait too long for a better price, they might sell out. If you upsell too soon, you may miss out on some savings if prices continue to fall. That happened when we upsold to our Penthouse. Prices fell even further afterward. We did call again, and I really expected nothing, but they gave us some obc, not for the full amount, but still, I was happy.:D. And by the way, we lost nothing we already had as far as OBC.

Archived