Sea Dream website

vandrefalk

I don't know much about ships, but I was surprised that Hebridean Princess has been in service since 1964-- as a car ferry for 25 years and then as a luxury ship since 1989. We got to tour the engine room and the engineer told us that it's getting harder to comply with all the environmental requirements. Of course, it was hard to hear him because we were all wearing hearing protection. It's really hot and loud in there!

Compared to Princess, SeaDream I and II are young'uns!

;)

While we are awaiting word from the top, I have been thinking about other choices SeaDream will need to make in the near future. In addition to formulating a policy of some sort concerning children which will affect bookings one way or the other, SeaDream is facing an inevitable change. SeaDream I is approaching its 30th "birthday" with SD II one year behind. To put that in perspective, Queen Elizabeth 2 (QE2) was the longest serving Cunard ship in their almost 200 year history and was retired just short of 40. Ship expenditures for repair and maintenance go up exponentially as ships age. SeaDream I & II were well built originally and have been well maintained but so was QE2. Sure there are some 50 year old rust buckets in third world countries but unless SeaDream intends to buck historical trends, they will need to consider building/buying replacement tonnage in the near future. Given lead times decision time will probably need to be sooner rather than later. Inevitably they will go larger. All ship lines seem to and that is also a historical trend. Seabourn has some griping about slippage of food and service quality in its newer 450 passenger ships as compared to the old 220 passenger ships. If SeaDream replaces the present ships with 200 or 300 passenger ships will they keep the passenger/crew ratio like it is? Precedent says no. Inevitably it will be a different product than what we currently enjoy. I guess we should be glad we have had the opportunity to experience SeaDream as originally envisioned. Now if we can just get a clear policy on kids.:eek::eek:

Jim, some of the older ships had problems with the new SOLAS rules that required expensive refits. If SD already meets these requirements, they may be able to keep their ships up to snuff at reasonable cost for another 10 years. After that, they will need to think about replacement..

Great news for me as a golfer - I thought, that Freddie still plays on the "Champions Tour" - is he going to be the golf pro on SD I or SD II ?:D

Sorry for my "unqualified" comment ... ;)

Good point. As long as Freddie doesn't bring his grand-children, I will gladly serve as his caddy!

While I have not met FPepples children, I know others who have...

I would be one of those and can honestly attest that FPepples' kids are amazingly well behaved, genuinely polite, and a total joy to be around! And we met them in a restaurant (unfortunately not French Laundry!) after meeting Mr./Ms. FPepples on SD. ;)

Too bad some of the other parents who have elected to bring their kids on board SD only to let them run wild haven't shown this same level of parental responsibility. As I've said, we've been lucky with only a child or two ever on board at one time and no kid issues on any of our 9 SD cruises, but all it takes is one unruly cruise (kids or even out of control adult(s)) to spoil someone's well earned cruise.

I think Vandrefalk is right: doubtful SD will ever restrict kids entirely (since they never have - even with the "couples" distinction), but since there have been more reports of unruly kids lately SD really needs to adhere to its own words and extend this to any parent who brings a child/children on board then promptly turns a blind eye: <<If anyone behaves in such a way to endanger, annoy, inconvenience (words from the actual yacht contract) other guests, appropriate action must be taken. >> Now SD just needs to define what that "appropriate action" will be and who will be given the authority to enforce it.

It is sadly clear, at least thus far, that nothing significant is going to change as to children. If we are in the minority and the marketplace will support SD's approach then so be it. Ownership and management will squeeze what they can out of the two aging ships they have juggling the couples and children mix as best they can. If SeaDream isn't the original SeaDream then what is it? Another mid-sized ship if replacements are bigger and service is inevitably poorer? It found a niche and did it exceptionally well. It can't compete with the larger lines without a capital investment the source of which is unknown. We don't have any objection to well-behaved teens but anything younger even if well behaved isn't what SD promises. Deliver consistently or stop promising. Let adults be adults and please let kids be kids as there will be plenty of time for them to be adults later. Why do so many parents rush them? We too miss and will miss the SD staff. However, we can't justify the risk after what we experienced this past summer. Life is too short to have travel plans ruined. We have tried to get changes adopted and apparently have failed beyond a few encouraging though vague and empty promises. Time for concrete action to risk losing loyal customers.

If SD wants to be a child-friendly cruise line, so be it. But once the marketplace learns this is their policy, I suspect many will defect to other luxury lines. After all, what mature couple wants to spend their vacation on a small ship with a dozen kids when there are so many better options on larger ships where kids are not so much of an issue. Just let us know so we can make an informed decision.

You do not need your fire suit, no flaming here.

Much appreciated. :)

you have been very lucky

So very true and knock wood for it to continue.

Let Fpebbles kids sail with all the "No Kids on Seadream" folks -- they will win them over

Pirate, you made my day! I would have said you made my week, except Saturday....:D

If anyone behaves in such a way to endanger, annoy, inconvenience other guests, appropriate action must be taken.

Vandrefalk, so I take it you're still talking to me? Good! you can warn me if I cross the line re above before they throw me off at the next port! I promise to keep my top on and stay off the piano, regardless.

but all it takes is one unruly cruise (kids or even out of control adult(s)) to spoil someone's well earned cruise

Well said, CDreamer. We look forward to these cruises SO much...I can easily understand folks who have had bad experiences. I'll drink a glass of champagne when I get on board Saturday and keep my fingers crossed for all of us, no matter where we sail, for smooth waters, fun companions and good experiences.

Aaarrrggghhhh !

Conover gone: the ONLY person who actively sought opinion and genuinely listened to us. She was the real deal.

I am certain she would have suggested changes that would have gone some way of addressing passengers concerns.

Now it's back with Artle and his beaten down, old retainer "yes men" ! God help us all (crew alike with some of the appalling choice of charters the crew have had to endure) !

When certain crew call it a day: then we will too, meanwhile I'll do no bookings from late Spring to early Autumn.

And to the appeasers and the "let's keep it chummy" contributors: I make no apologies.

This is serious guys.

An extremely talented and professional in the industry who is respected and is of long standing, is no longer there to stick up for us and even enhance our experience.

Larry, now Pamela.

Artle just doesn't listen to views contrary to his own; and the more I get to know him, the weirder it all is.

Hey, and Andreas, dont bother getting back to us, we know you have more important things to do AND now with Pam Conover gone there are going to be no changes: we kind of new that deep down really.

Some people really fell for your line (commodoredave); what must they be feeling now ?

You have been busy !

Well so has the Forum; not far off 10,000 views. Now that's really busy Andreas and it spells out we are really annoyed now.

Aaarrrggghhhh !

Conover gone: the ONLY person who actively sought opinion and genuinely listened to us. She was the real deal.

I am certain she would have suggested changes that would have gone some way of addressing passengers concerns.

Now it's back with Artle and his beaten down, old retainer "yes men" ! God help us all (crew alike with some of the appalling choice of charters the crew have had to endure) !

When certain crew call it a day: then we will too, meanwhile I'll do no bookings from late Spring to early Autumn.

And to the appeasers and the "let's keep it chummy" contributors: I make no apologies.

This is serious guys.

An extremely talented and professional in the industry who is respected and is of long standing, is no longer there to stick up for us and even enhance our experience.

Larry, now Pamela.

Artle just doesn't listen to views contrary to his own; and the more I get to know him, the weirder it all is.

Hey, and Andreas, dont bother getting back to us, we know you have more important things to do AND now with Pam Conover gone there are going to be no changes: we kind of new that deep down really.

Some people really fell for your line (commodoredave); what must they be feeling now ?

You have been busy !

Well so has the Forum; not far off 10,000 views. Now that's really busy Andreas and it spells out we are really annoyed now.

All of a sudden Seabourn and Windstar are looking much more appealing to me.

• 2 weeks later...

If Andreas is having trouble coming up with a policy, there are plenty that can be found on websites for land-based resorts and a handful of small cruise lines. They run the gamut from a ban on anyone under 4 years of age, to a ban on anyone under 21 years a of age. Some also have periods where they allow children. So lots of ideas out there for Andreas to chew on.

This is not an Andreas only decision - its a business decision, and since the company is privately owned, with as far as we know, only one stockholder, the decision should have been made and published a long time ago. What Andreas' initial posting did do was quiet the angry/irritated/pessimistic posters - so mission accomplished. no longer holding my breath and booking other holidays since we are limited to school holidays.

FT