Brits - Info on charter flights please

julieh

Can anyone give me any information on Princess charter flights from the Uk?

We have only once done this before and it was a disaster and that was flying to San Juan with European Aviation. They changed this shortly after to Virgin charter which I believe was very good.

We are booked on the Sea Princess 24th December 2005 flying to Barbados with Thomas Cook Airline which when I booked thought we were flying schedule air. We have just received our flight details and I am really worried as I have heard so many complaints about this airline. Did ask for schedule air but told we would have to make our own arrangements and no refund would be given as plane booked. As its christmas it would cost an extra £4000.00

Do they use this airline on the flights to San Juan now?

Julieh

JulieH - I think you should be OK. Thomas Cook go to Barbados all the time so should be reliable, and if you change now and make your own arrangements, not only will they be mega expensive, you'll also incur cancellation fees etc.

One good thing is that because it's a busy Xmas season flight - if the flight is delayed in any way, the ship should within reason wait for you as your flights are booked through Princess. There is an inherant risk of something being delayed around Xmastime simply due to the huge amount of people seeking to leave our wonderful winter behind - so I'd definitely stick with Thomas Cook.

I'm booked Heathrow to Miami just before Xmas and have gone with the NCL air package for that very reason.... can't risk the ship leaving without me! (and it was significantly cheaper...)

Do contact Thomas Cook for an upgrade quote as I believe the have extra legroom seats on longhaul with Thomas Cook going for less than £100 return - a bargain on longhaul!

Have fun!

Linda from Hampshire!

Thanks Linda,

My son flew to the Dominican Republic last January and had a really bad flight

so I am very wary. I would like to find out which airline they have been using for the Golden out of San Juan since they stopped using Virgin.

Anyone used any Princess charter out of UK I would love to hear your views please.

Julieh

Morning Julieh,

We've used these flights many times from Gatwick and are on one again in February to Barbados. Last time we flew to Acapulco in February we were delayed overnight in Gatwick and put up in the Hilton due to (so we were told) a truck ramming our plane on one of the islands. However, the majority of our flights with them and Brittania, have been no worse than any other air carrier. The planes used are wide bodied jets ( I believe Boeing 767's ) and are, I will admit, a bit tight on space. However, that being said, recent experience of arriving in Barbados by charter has been a pleasure. Straight off the plane into awaiting coaches and our luggage delivered straight to the ship and straight to our cabin. We have upgraded once and had a lovely seat at the front of the plane and if this option is available to you I would certainly go for it.

Happy cruising. Jimmy

Hi Jimmy,

We have upgraded but some of our party are in normal economy. I like the idea of transfer at Barbados. When you were delayed overnight were you joining a cruise and if so what happened did the ship wait for you?

Julieh

Hello again,

No problems if your delayed flight is a charter. They will always wait for a charter flight as opposed to making your own arrangements, they wont wait. We were on a P & O charter from London (Gatwick) to Acapulco, with Thomas Cook, and were due to fly overnight. Because of the delay we left Gatwick am, after a night in the Hilton, provided by P & O, and flew during the daylight hours. No great problem other than we should have had the whole day in Acapulco, but, at least we werent jetlagged on arrival, tired, yes. Everybody was delayed that day and we got to the ship at 10pm, by no means last, P & O gave every passenger £150 on board spending so we were more than satisfied. I would stick with the charter, it passes quite quickly when your on your way to join a ship. The food by the way was good on the plane.

Happy cruising.

Jimmy

Food is exactly the same throughout the aircraft. What did seem better was the service. The front area was waited by dedicated staff and it seemed to make a difference. You must tell us how your trip goes as we are on this one in February.

Have a great cruise, we've never had a bad one yet,

Jimmy

Archived