Snorkeling wonders of barrier reef with young kids (Rendezvous caye)

canadian85

Coming in January, and since there don't seem to be any decent beaches in Belize, i'm looking for something for family of 4 kids are 3 and 5.

This excursion is thru the ship, 60 per adult and kids are free. Goes to rendezvous caye for snorkeling. The 5yo might like that, but pretty sure the 3yo won't. Do you have to stay with a group or anything? I just want to make sure we can just play at the shore if the kids don't want to snorkel.

Is it possible for me to stand up and hold the kids while they swim? Or would I be stepping on coral etc?

I have a yr to plan but I am running into the same issue. Last time we just got off the ship and looked around then had a pool day. I would really like to go to the beach and this excursion is the only I have found with kids.

Any info anybody has would be great.

We were there in February. It's a very small island with a nice place that kids could play. When you get off the boat they break up into three snorkeling groups: beginners, intermediate, advanced. If you don't want to snorkel you just hang out on the beach. They had a couple kayaks there too that you could use. It's a very pretty beach, your kids will enjoy it. And it's just the people from carnival, no one else. They had hamburgers and hot dogs for sale, along with soda and beer. I can't remember the prices but take $ if you might want something. The Only thing they provided was punch on the way back.

Btw, we were back in plenty of time to get cleaned up and go to shore for a bit of shopping.

Edited by kona_wahine

We were there in February. It's a very small island with a nice place that kids could play. When you get off the boat they break up into three snorkeling groups: beginners, intermediate, advanced. If you don't want to snorkel you just hang out on the beach. They had a couple kayaks there too that you could use. It's a very pretty beach, your kids will enjoy it. And it's just the people from carnival, no one else. They had hamburgers and hot dogs for sale, along with soda and beer. I can't remember the prices but take $ if you might want something. The Only thing they provided was punch on the way back.

Btw, we were back in plenty of time to get cleaned up and go to shore for a bit of shopping.

Can you snorkel at your own leisure or do you have to stay with the group? I might want to take the 5yo but wouldn't venture as far as the group.

Can you snorkel at your own leisure or do you have to stay with the group? I might want to take the 5yo but wouldn't venture as far as the group.

For us they took us out in groups. We have snorkeled many times so went with the advanced group. I didn't pay attention to what the beginners were doing. I don't know if they would let you go by yourself or not. I would think if you just wanted to stay close to shore that would be ok, but don't know for sure. There were young children on our excursion but I don't know what they did. (Had my face in the water! Lol)

• 4 weeks later...

This summer I took my 4 yr old ds, my 3 yr old nephew, and 5 yr old niece snorkelling in Hawaii. At Costco I bought this pool lounger. Had all kids in the lounger while I 'pushed' them while snorkelling. The all had swim googles on and would dunk their faces in to see the fish. Maybe you could something similar with your young children. I am going to do the same when I go snorkelling in Belize. The pool lounger deflates and rolls up small and has a carry on bag.

This summer I took my 4 yr old ds, my 3 yr old nephew, and 5 yr old niece snorkelling in Hawaii. At Costco I bought this pool lounger. Had all kids in the lounger while I 'pushed' them while snorkelling. The all had swim googles on and would dunk their faces in to see the fish. Maybe you could something similar with your young children. I am going to do the same when I go snorkelling in Belize. The pool lounger deflates and rolls up small and has a carry on bag.

That's a good idea, we have a pool at home so I could bring a blow up lounger.