Hand Luggage Thom Cook

johncandt

Does anyone know if the weight limit on hand luggage (5K) is strictly enforced on Thomas Cook flights to Caribbean from Manchester also i read conflicting prices for upgrade to premium seats anyone know the a actual cost pp

Hi John,

I think it all depends on who you get at check in. We had both of our bags weighed and one was about 2k over, we had to take a pair of trainers out and put them in the hold luggage. I also saw a lady whos cases and hand luggage were over and she had to empty things out and put the excess in other bags, not sure what happened to them. To say she was not a happy bunny is an understatement.

Molly

Hi,

I have seen them being very strict with hand luggage, and weighing each piece. At other times they've been less so (maybe depends who you get at check-in!). Saw a couple who had 2 bags as hand luggage, and had to take some stuff out of one bag and put it in the other as one was over the weight limit!

I don't know about Thomas Cook particularly, but many flight companies are now also being very strict with the 'one bag' rule, and so we ladies have to put your handbag in our hand luggage just to get through security!

Sorry can't help with the upgrade question. Have a great cruise anyway.

In March they weighed our hand and hold luggage told us hand luggage was over so we had to take some stuff out they re-weighed they said it was okay and gave us our boarding passes. No one asked what we were doing with what we took out!!!

We went round the corner and put it straight back in - what a pointless waste of time.

5K isn't much use really when you think that most hand luggage cases must weigh almost 1k to start with!!

I usually wear a big coat and put my handbag over my shoulder under my coat. Security don't care about your bags it us only check in who do. If security did not allow 2 bags then I would just put it in Hand luggage as it has already been weighed at that stage. Same with jewellery and adapters big pockets then straight in hand luggage after check in.

Sue

Thank you all that seems to settle that , I will have my stuff in my pockets and my beloved will have 2 carry on bags! As for seat upgrade don't think we will bother as it's more money than to fly premium economy with BA all the way to Cape Town and back

Last time we flew with them (March to Cuba) my main luggage was 2kg over but my hand luggage was 2kg under so they said it was fine. They are strict on the total weight but are fine as long as the 2 combined come in at the pre-agreed total.

Of course, we may have just had a nice person and you may get a complete jobs worth so try to stay within the limits on both if at all possible.

Archived