Help with our plan please.

BiggerBob

We will be in St. Maarten Thursday Nov 28th from 8-3pm on the Noordam. The Allure and the Royal Princess will also be there.

We have been to St. Maarten many times before and usually just shop for jewellery. Last cruise we did Bernard's tour and it gave us a real sampling of the island.

This time back we would like to go back to the Marigot Market and Serafina's, as we did not have much time there before.

So my question is how far from the port is it to this area? What is the best way to get there, taxi or bus and approximate cost?

Is there anything else close to that area worth exploring?

My thoughts are to get to the Marigot area early. Does anyone know what time the market and Serafinas is open? Plan to explore around there for a bit and take our time. Then would probably head back to the port area and the downtown shopping area.

Look forward to everyones knowledge and guidance. ;)

Patricia

1. Marigot is about 20-25 minutes from the cruise terminal. Taxi is the most convenient. It is common to arrange for the taxi to pick you up for the return trip. Taxis are well regulated. Rates are posted at the cruise terminal taxi stand.
  2. Serafina's hours 9 am - 7 pm.
  3. You can walk up a fairly steep hill to Fort St Louis. Wonderful views.
  4. In addition to the craft market there is a decent shopping area. More fashion than one finds in Philipsburg. It is a lovely area just to walk around. Most stores close for lunch. No idea on the market hours, it has always had stalls open when I've been there.
  5. There will likely be a good number of real yachts in the harbor. Get a look at how the uber rich cruise.

Taxi to Marigot should be $18 for two, down to $7 per person for more. Each way.

th_Destinationsnew.jpg

(click)

The market (and it's MUCH more than a craft market) opens early, but note that the big days are Wednesday and Saturday. They will be open on your Thursday visit, but not like those.

th_DSCN2911.jpg th_DSCN2905.jpg th_DSCN2906.jpg th_DSCN1235.jpg

Unless you're looking for high fashion in Marigot, and many of those stores have closed, I'd probably recommend Frontstreet, Philipsburg for shopping, but what are you shopping for?

I also recommend the climb to Fort Louis for the view, but with your ship leaving at 3:00, I doubt that you'd have time this trip.

I would not arrange the return trip with my taxi in advance, as that limits your ability to shorten or lengthen your stay.

I think I'd allow 30-40 minutes for travel, especially on the return, but hope for less.

gary

Thanks gtaylor for all the great information. It will help planning our day for sure. This time around we are not shopping for anything specific. Maybe a nice handcrafted momento of our trip.

If we were interested in hiking to the fort how long do you think we would need to do that. It looks like a fairly good hike from one of your pictures.

Also do you recommend Toro's Corner that is in your photo's? Prices look right for a cool beverage!

Thanks again,

Patricia

BiggerBob,

I've never climbed up to the Fort from street level. When we go, which is nearly every trip, I park (limited parking) up much closer to the top, and the climb from there is not bad. If you take a taxi, ask to be dropped up there and then walk down to town.

I do recommend Toro's Corner, but sorry to disappoint -- that photo of the menu is from October 2005. Prices have increased, but we still stop by for a Red Stripe and chat with John about local goings on. I've added a date to the shot on PhotoBucket.

gary

Good idea on getting the taxi to take us to the top and then walking down. It is always easier on the trip down, so my question is how long do you think it would take to hike down?

And no worries on the beer prices from 2005. It will still be cheaper than what us Canadians pay for beer!:p:p

My friend here karysa says that I walk too slow :), so I'll speed up my estimate and say a careful 15-20 minutes will get you down to street level. I think she may have actually done it, so let's see if she chimes in.

Once at the bottom you're literally minutes away from Toro's and then just minutes away from Sarafina's.

gary

My friend here karysa says that I walk too slow :), so I'll speed up my estimate and say a careful 15-20 minutes will get you down to street level. I think she may have actually done it, so let's see if she chimes in.

Once at the bottom you're literally minutes away from Toro's and then just minutes away from Sarafina's.

gary

Good estimate Gary. :) That's what I would think. We always have a car so we park at the lot nearest to the last set of stairs to the top of the fort. We drive back down to the town.

Archived