hmmmm...?????

mizzoufinal4

SO I guess the dining waiting list doesn't really mean anything. I was supposedly put on the waiting list for main dining on our upcoming cruise. I just happened to do a fake booking today and noticed that I could have booked main seating. SO I went back to my reservation and switched to main seating. Why have a waiting list if they don't actually use it? hhhmmmm.....???? Don't make much sense to me! But at least I am very happy now considering we have a 3 and 5 year old and late seating would have been WAY to late!

SO I guess the dining waiting list doesn't really mean anything. I was supposedly put on the waiting list for main dining on our upcoming cruise. I just happened to do a fake booking today and noticed that I could have booked main seating. SO I went back to my reservation and switched to main seating. Why have a waiting list if they don't actually use it? hhhmmmm.....???? Don't make much sense to me! But at least I am very happy now considering we have a 3 and 5 year old and late seating would have been WAY to late!

We have used the waiting list 2 times and 2 times it never showed on the online reservation, but when we checked in we had been automatically changed to our choice.

Never beleive online stuff!

AKK

Is there an option to request that when you purchase your cruise? We did ours on the phone with our timeshare company. Should I call them to request it or DCL?

Yes there is an option which ever way you book online TA or on board.

It can default to second sitting as it's less popular, call DCL or your TA to note your preference.

There are a couple of issues. The first is that you can be moved in DCL's records but they never seem to change it on their on line system where you can view your reservation. The only way you know that you've been moved is if you call DCL.

The other issue is that they "work" the waitlist when they are not otherwise busy. That means that if there is an availability to book main and there hasn't been a CM working your cruise, it may not be "grabbed" for you. The waitlist is not automated!

Some people think that they book main first because it is more popular and then stick people on late. This is not true. The goal is to balance the two seatings. The system is set up with the default being late (you get main only if you ask for it). If they book 6 people on main, the next 6 who book will default to late. THey would have to waitlist to get moved to main if they wished.

OK, say 6 people booked late. The system will next show the option of main for the next booking! So if you pop in at the right time, you can book main. If you are booking 10 people in linked cabins, you will still be able to choose main BUT the next family to book will not be able to.

And ultimately, they use the "squeaky wheel" system. If you call DCL and bug them enough, they will move you while you are on the phone with them--too bad for the next family. They aren't bugging the CM on the phone.:)

I don't know. I would think that if you are a family cruiseline if you have 2 very young children (ie. my family a 3 and 5 year old) that they would automatically give you the option to book main seating. Not many families I know with kids these ages would even dare to go to dinner starting at 8:30. Just my humble opinion! If you have ever seen my kids by 9 pm you would know what I am talking about! lol

I don't know. I would think that if you are a family cruiseline if you have 2 very young children (ie. my family a 3 and 5 year old) that they would automatically give you the option to book main seating. Not many families I know with kids these ages would even dare to go to dinner starting at 8:30. Just my humble opinion! If you have ever seen my kids by 9 pm you would know what I am talking about! lol

As it is a family cruise line with many children on board they cant offer 'main' to all and its not automatic, I agree most families preference would be dinner 6pm and not later.

But as they have so many kids its not automatic and its not something they can do for all.

I didn't say it should be automatic! I think maybe people traveling with kids say under eight should have the OPTION when they book to book main seating. I also think that adult cruisers with no kids on board should automatically get late seating upon booking and then if they want to chnge to main seating at a later time they may do so after say final payment. Just a thought! But don't put words into my mouth saying that I said automatically as I am sure some familys would prefer late seating!

I didn't say it should be automatic! I think maybe people traveling with kids say under eight should have the OPTION when they book to book main seating. I also think that adult cruisers with no kids on board should automatically get late seating upon booking and then if they want to chnge to main seating at a later time they may do so after say final payment. Just a thought! But don't put words into my mouth saying that I said automatically as I am sure some familys would prefer late seating!

Hey,, "Hakuna Matata" -no problem!!

I read the words, in your post which I replied to;-

that they would automatically give you the option to book main seating

And responded to that, but there is no big deal,

But don't put words into my mouth saying that I said automatically

Is actually a little harsh back to me imho, but "Hakuna Matata" -no worries, I thought we were just having a nice pleasant discussion.

So any adult-only parties should be at late seating? That's pretty discriminatory there. There could be any number of reasons an adult-only party needs early seating. (FWIW my family and I are totally cool with late. I'm actually a little bummed that the group I'm doing Alaska with on HAL is early seating. Yuck.)

The good news is you were able to secure the dining time you desired.

Everybody has the 'option' to select main seating, just need to get your ducks in a row early to try to increase your chances of getting your preference as to dinner seatings, cabins, cabanas, often the lowest cruise fares. DCL is truly an early bird gets the worm line.

As for adult cruisers sans kiddos being relegated to late dining...many adults of a certain age like to dine early, see a show and then retire early, especially if they planned excursions the next day.

It has worked for us. We are doing our first cruise in January (with a 4.5 yr old and 5mth old) and were originally assigned late dining. I requested to go on the waiting list for main dining and when I went on to pay off our final balance a couple of days ago we had been switched to main.

At least you are sorted now and I guess they probably work there way down the waiting list as and when they can.

We have gone on the wait list 3 times. 2 of those times we were moved to main seating before the final payment (and it did show online). The third time we were notified of the change after boarding. We received a call in our room asking if we still wanted the main seating.

So, the wait list has worked exactly right for us 3 times.

Archived