Carnival Host vs DJ - questions

I'm still pretty confused about the difference between a host and a DJ. I'm told that there is only one of each on each ship so if someone else getting married chooses a host before us, then the only option is DJ (or technician). So we're trying to decide what to do. We definitely want someone to do announcements and keep the ball rolling for us. SO I think a technician is NOT what we want, right?

I'm reading that with he DJ, they provide everything - the music, equipment, announcements. BUT - the only location for the reception would be in the disco. The idea of having our reception in the disco is a bit nerve-wracking. I've been in Carnival discos before - the floors light up, the decor can be a bit flashy. I'm nervous that pictures in the disco could disappoint me.

Has anyone had their reception in the disco? Or been on a tour yet, and SEEN the disco?

With a host, where would the reception be? And is the only difference that we need to prepare our own CD with the music on it? And if that's the case, why does Carnival charge the same amount for a host and a DJ? If we do more work for the host shouldn't that be less expensive? :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance for the help!

I'm reading that with he DJ, they provide everything - the music, equipment, announcements. BUT - the only location for the reception would be in the disco. The idea of having our reception in the disco is a bit nerve-wracking. I've been in Carnival discos before - the floors light up, the decor can be a bit flashy. I'm nervous that pictures in the disco could disappoint me.

We just went on the tour and I asked about where the DJ would be (a specific room) and there were multiple rooms the DJ can be. I am asking to be in the Cole Porter Lounge which is also the Comedy Club. It is elegant and the coordinator said the DJ would be set up behind the bar.

Sorry I can't help with other questions I booked the DJ first and my wedding was 7mts out. I couldn't just have my music playing off of a phone or i-thing. I just like the idea of somebody else doing the music. Hope that this is a little help.

Well now we're thinking we may like the Piano Lounge with a piano player instead of a DJ. :rolleyes: It's really hard knowing without SEEING the rooms. But I'm nervous to wait too long and miss out on the DJ or Host, etc. UGH. Why do they only have one of each on each sailing??

Well now we're thinking we may like the Piano Lounge with a piano player instead of a DJ. :rolleyes: It's really hard knowing without SEEING the rooms. But I'm nervous to wait too long and miss out on the DJ or Host, etc. UGH. Why do they only have one of each on each sailing??

Do you know what ship? You CAN schedule a tour with up to 4 people. NO children. You get on with the other wedding parties and tour the rooms then get to walk the ship until all guest have to get off. We just did ours on the 19th. Also gives you a feel on how to decorate and the boarding procedures and how the parking is going to be.

I don't know why there is only 1 on each ship. That was kind of frustrating because we were like WE HAVE TO HAVE HIM! lol

So if you don't know I would call your wedding coordinator and first ask how many wedding will be taking place that day. (that way you know how many couples you are up against. we have 3 wedding our day) then if it has been booked yet. Also ask about a tour. Good Luck:)

We had our reception in the piano bar with the pianist because

a: it was a pretty room and

b: it was close proximity to the chapel (they're next to each other)

Here's a link to my wedding pictures.

I'll try to track down some of the Carnival Pride reviews with pictures of the disco. We originally booked the Disco for our wedding, but changed it to the piano bar when we found out that there is no elevator access to the bottom floor of the disco. The only way downstairs is a [tightly wound] spiral staircase or a service elevator that is busy on embarkation day due to luggage.

Ours is upcoming in a little under 2 weeks. We had opted for a Host for ours and are supplying our own music. On our particular ship they have the reception in the Ionian Lounge which I recently found some pictures of. Now that I've seen the setting I almost wish we had opted for the piano player, but we are adjusting our set list a bit to fit the vibe of the room.

carnival-victory-ionian-piano-bar_600.jpg

CigarBar2.JPG

CigarBar1.JPG

Carnival Brides - how recently were you married? Carnival is telling me that they don't offer live pianist or bands any more. We are MAJORLY bummed. My fiance was totally psyched about having a pianist! So apparently our only option is DJ, Host or Technician. I said we'd be willing to pay $300 to have a pianist there and she said, they just don't offer it any longer. BOOOOO! SO I asked if we could hire our own and bring him along and she said they don't allow guest to use their instruments. I hope this entire process isn't one huge disappointment. Their most current info online says we can have a piano player. Hmpf.:mad:

Carnival Brides - how recently were you married? Carnival is telling me that they don't offer live pianist or bands any more. We are MAJORLY bummed. My fiance was totally psyched about having a pianist! So apparently our only option is DJ, Host or Technician. I said we'd be willing to pay $300 to have a pianist there and she said, they just don't offer it any longer. BOOOOO! SO I asked if we could hire our own and bring him along and she said they don't allow guest to use their instruments. I hope this entire process isn't one huge disappointment. Their most current info online says we can have a piano player. Hmpf.:mad:

I just got married in January and we started planning in June 2011. We booked the DJ originally and then switched to the pianist and then switched to doing an at-sea wedding (vow renewal package) with the pianist as our reception entertainment. I hope that makes sense.

Have you spoken to Sajay or just the underlings who answer the phone? I had constant problems with calling the generic Weddings extension and dealing with whomever answered. I always asked to speak to Sajay and followed up with an email (paper-trail) because of the horror stories we had heard.

When we booked our embarkation wedding originally the website said we could book a 90 minute reception package, but when we went to book Carnival no longer offered them for weddings in Baltimore because of Customs delays on returning cruises. In short, Carnival Weddings changes their minds A LOT.

Holy cow! Really? Are they truly difficult to work with? I booked with carnival because its my 2nd wedding, I have 2 young kids and simply wanted something elegant but much simpler than piece-meaning a reception together on my own again. Simple is the key! If its going to be a nightmare, I may need to rethink this.

No I've only called the main number you book with. And yes, they seem very rehearsed with their responses. So once My coordinator calls me, SHE will be more knowledgable and able to help more?

Holy cow! Really? Are they truly difficult to work with? I booked with carnival because its my 2nd wedding, I have 2 young kids and simply wanted something elegant but much simpler than piece-meaning a reception together on my own again. Simple is the key! If its going to be a nightmare, I may need to rethink this.

No I've only called the main number you book with. And yes, they seem very rehearsed with their responses. So once My coordinator calls me, SHE will be more knowledgable and able to help more?

Each ship has their own coordinator who is a Carnival employee. The one for the Pride and Paradise is Sajay--she is lovely.

They aren't super difficult to work with it is just a little work to get it all set-up in the beginning. It's one of the reasons you do the initial paperwork and don't have to do much more with them until your final call(s). When you call the number for CCL Weddings, whoever is available in their office answers and they put it in a file for you and your coordinator to go over later.

Each ship and port has their own ebb and flow and the coordinators are familiar with the ports they work with and what their restrictions are. Part of the fun my wife and I had was that we made changes to our package and entertainment.

Once we were onboard there weren't any major hiccups or problems and everything went really well. We did make sure to have PDFs of the contract, price lists and e-mails we had in case there was an issue--things you'd have to do for any wedding.

Archived