Need Help with shore excursion Wheelchair user

Sea-Wheeler

I am going to St Martin (10 Dec 2013) while cruising on Celebrity Eclipse however I am not sure what to do - I love snorkelling, culture and shopping. I am confined to a wheelchair but am very capable and travelling solo. Please help me decide what would be a great option.

Hello.

I notice that you're fairly new to Cruise Critic, so I will point out that there is a seperate Cruising with Disabilities Forum on this board. Perhaps you can find some additional suggestions over there.

That said, I know that Joyce Prince mentions this on her website:

We give only custom, personalized tours. Anything that you would like to see. And please note that we are wheelchair, walker and baby stroller friendly!

I have no idea how snorkeling would work, but I do know that many beach bars and restaurants around the island, and much of downtown Philipsburg is/are wheelchair friendly.

She usually only does private tours, which would be expensive for a solo, but perhaps she could work you in to one of her booked tours?

gary

• 3 weeks later...
I am going to St Martin (10 Dec 2013) while cruising on Celebrity Eclipse however I am not sure what to do - I love snorkelling, culture and shopping. I am confined to a wheelchair but am very capable and travelling solo. Please help me decide what would be a great option.

Hi We were in St Martin on a cruise in April. Our Son who is 19 is in a wheelchair, and we wanted to do something fun with him. We found No.1 SXM parasailing company that was amazing!! They were totally willing to work with my son. I don't know your limitations, are you able to transfer out of your chair at all? My son is unable to walk at all, we pushed him through some sand to get him to a dock where the boat was and the two guys that worked for them picked him up and carried him on the boat. They got him in all his gear and onto the back of the boat to take off. My Husband went with him, and it was very easy for him. I don't know if this is something that you might be interested in, but I can not say enough good things about No 1 SXM. We took a cab right from the cruise terminal over and it was about 5 mins drive. The water taxis were accessible as well and they will help you get on. you could easily take the water taxi over to downtown and walk to thier location as well. We we're pretty pleased with the accessibility of St Martin. Hope you have an amazing cruise. if you have any questions let me know.

One other thing, if you happen to be going to St Thomas, there is an accessible snokeling and diving company at Secret Harbor. They do accessible dives and everything. They we're amazing as well, and very kind to our son. Hope this helps in some way, we we're so happy to find things a 19yr old would want to do.