Unable to switch to ES because category sold out

heatherbelle

Relative Carnival newbie here.

I have just phoned Carnival to see if I can switch from the preview sale rate to ES. (Had ES been available at the time of booking I would have booked it. It wasn't and at the time no one on here knew whether it would ever return. Because my category has sold out out, she said I needed to cancel and re-book at ES. They couldn't do it for me there and then and hold my cabin.

I don't mind paying extra for the ES rate, i would just like the protection and if a BC opens up I can always upgrade after final payment or stay where I am and have OBC if they'll let me, that's if prices drop which I suspect they will.

Is this correct? If I did cancel would my existing room be there to re select immediately? I'm currently in a OV.

Is this correct? If I did cancel would my existing room be there to re select immediately? I'm currently in a OV.

It should be. But I wouldn't go and do this unless you're comfortable with the risk of losing it. For what it's worth, I've done something similar in the past and it all worked out fine! Might depend how good (fast) your TA or PVP is though too ;)

I just switched to ES yesterday and my category was sold out as well. I am a TA and tried to switch it myself, but because it was sold out, I had to call and have Carnival do it for me. It did take her a couple of minutes to figure out how to change it, but she was able to. Call back and get someone else to try for you. I did not cancel my cabin and they did change the fare code for me. Keep trying until you find someone who will help you.

I agree with calling again and asking someone else to help you. I had a similar circumstance, though not exactly the same situation. The rep needed to "move" us to another cabin (not cancel the booking) and then move us back almost immediately to the same cabin. At first, they didn't think they could do it, but after trying a couple of things, this worked out. My category was sold out, too. I could have done it myself online (no penalty for cancelling since it was booked under Past Guest rate), but I didn't want to chance that I wouldn't be able to see the cabin and re-book it right away, and I didn't really want to have to pay another deposit and wait for the other deposit to be refunded. It's not unusual for me to have to call more than once to get a situation resolved...reps come in all degrees of competency and helpfulness.

I agree with calling again and asking someone else to help you. I had a similar circumstance, though not exactly the same situation. The rep needed to "move" us to another cabin (not cancel the booking) and then move us back almost immediately to the same cabin. At first, they didn't think they could do it, but after trying a couple of things, this worked out. My category was sold out, too. I could have done it myself online (no penalty for cancelling since it was booked under Past Guest rate), but I didn't want to chance that I wouldn't be able to see the cabin and re-book it right away, and I didn't really want to have to pay another deposit and wait for the other deposit to be refunded. It's not unusual for me to have to call more than once to get a situation resolved...reps come in all degrees of competency and helpfulness.

My concern was the same about cancelling and then rebooking. You know how fast they process your payments, but see how many days it takes to get a refund back on your card. I didn't want my deposit money tied up especially since we are leaving for a cruise in just over 3 weeks. I felt confident that she could get my cabin back(the cruise is over a year away) but I knew that she could not control how fast that deposit was refunded and then re-applied back to the new ES booking. OP- always keep trying when you call Carnival. You will eventually get that magic person who can and will help you!

Archived