Policy to embark on NCL Sky from Miami

bases1332

Hey guys,

I'm curious as to how the process works to get onboard. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but bags go through an xray machine, and I walk through an ordinary metal detector? Or do I go through a full body scanner as they do in airports?

Also, I'm thinking of calling NCL and possibly requesting a free room upgrade. What do you guys think are my chances on the upgrade?

Thanks, and I appreciate all responses.

Hey guys,

I'm curious as to how the process works to get onboard. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but bags go through an xray machine, and I walk through an ordinary metal detector? Or do I go through a full body scanner as they do in airports?

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Yes, your baggage will go through a thorough scan, and you will pass through a magnetometer, while your carry-on goes through an x-ray beside you.

If you're asking because you want to smuggle something aboard, your chances are slim. ;)

Also, I'm thinking of calling NCL and possibly requesting a free room upgrade. What do you guys think are my chances on the upgrade?

Very curious as to why you think NCL will give you a free upgrade. What are you seeing that makes you feel it is warranted?

Is there some other type of comprehensive body search? I fail to see how something that does not create a magnetic field would cause a problem inside of my pocket.

About the upgrade; an acquaintance reccomended that I give it a shot. Supposedly if ocean view rooms are available and have not been booked, cruise lines have no problem giving the free upgrade. This is just what I've heard though.

Is there some other type of comprehensive body search? I fail to see how something that does not create a magnetic field would cause a problem inside of my pocket.

About the upgrade; an acquaintance reccomended that I give it a shot. Supposedly if ocean view rooms are available and have not been booked, cruise lines have no problem giving the free upgrade. This is just what I've heard though.

You can give it a shot but you'll have a 99.9% chance of not getting one

Pretty much only case where you'd get free upgrade would be when the price of your cruise has dropped so that for the dollar amount you've originally paid, you'd now get a better category cabin - and they are not required to give even that by the contract.

Very rarely if ever have I heard them giving out upgrades for free for no reason. Even if there were better cabins available, they'd still normally charge you for the upgrade or offer the upgrades to (perhaps randomly) selected customers through the "upsell fairy" which is operated by a completely separate department from the normal customer service where you'd call.

Edited by Demonyte

What's your sailing date? I'll check it out and see if there might be availability based upon pricing history.

Should you be thinking of some kind of herb, or pills of some sort without a prescription, be aware. Miami is one of the ports that are know to do walk throughs with the local PD or Customs with dogs. They take a very dim view of those activities. Certainly you would leave the ship and go see a judge.

That and alcohol are the only two things that come to mind that would be a serious problem.

Oh, they don't like weapons or knives of any type.

I may be off here but I see his security question could be for other reasons than smuggle something on.

I wear an insulin pump and some insulin pumps can only pass through metal detectors and not xrays or body scanners. it is something people with medical devices must consider. Not saying that is why he is asking but trying to educate people on why someone would ask.

Sorry..trying not to assume the worst.

I may be off here but I see his security question could be for other reasons than smuggle something on.

I wear an insulin pump and some insulin pumps can only pass through metal detectors and not xrays or body scanners. it is something people with medical devices must consider. Not saying that is why he is asking but trying to educate people on why someone would ask.

Sorry..trying not to assume the worst.

I don't think the OP is inquiring about an insulin pump or something similar. If that were the case, he would have stated that information.

I'm having difficulty understanding why anyone would be so secretive and wanting to hide an insulin pump from security? :rolleyes:

In my case, it would not be about hiding it. It would be about what to expect. How to be prepared. I have had moments of getting held up in security and carted off to private rooms b/c of my pump. sometimes they do not understand them..although most are getting better. But I have almost missed flights after arriving in plenty of time. Luckily, never missed one.

Plus..OP did not state he was hiding anything. He also didn't state why he was asking. I only offered my reason why I might have asked that question.

If it is indeed something considered contraband you might want to do a Google search about it in relation to cruise ships. It is taken very seriously. You would not only be taking your chances with The US authorities but also with those in each port we visit. They do bring dogs on board. Even if it is just recreational and the intent would be to only partake in your cabin if you are caught you will be put off at the very next port.

Just some things to consider.

Rochelle

• 4 weeks later...
Hey guys,

You're right. You can get a guaranteed ocean view if you call and ask about upgrading. Don't say I want a free one. But this doesn't allow you to choose the room you want, but it will be ocean view If you have an inside room.

Artman Family

NCL Sky December 16-20